So where’s iTUIO? :)
Posted: 13 August 2010 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
Total Posts:  10

After digging the forum I couldn’t find any ready and easy solution to use iPhone/iPod/iPad as input device for TUIO application. The primary scenario I need this done is development of MT apps away from a target hardware.

Can anybody suggest an existing solution (without building a pipe with Squidy + their iPhone app or purchasing OSCemote)?

Meanwhile I’ve followed the 2 years-old recommendation and put together BBOSC and BBTouch and made it working for iPhone/iPad, which actually took only few hours. But before improving the code and adding some features I need for simplifying my further development I’m curious if there’s something out of box… to avoid inventing the wheel again smile

Thanks.

Posted: 13 August 2010 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-02
Total Posts:  19

I use MSA remote for sending TUIO from the iphone.  Seems to do the job.  You can get it from the apps store but its not free.

Signature 

My Multi-touch work and its videos.

Posted: 13 August 2010 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Total Posts:  183

Also go and take a look at openFrameworks. It looks like they now support iPhone/iPad development, if you know what you are doing. It looks pretty hard, but hey, sometimes thats just how it is.

Signature 

Visit my research blog at:
http://cs.unk.edu/~webb/

Posted: 13 August 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-03
Total Posts:  10

Thank you for suggestions. I will look into oF definitely.

My intention is to have MT TUIO-based input when I’m focused on the visualization part of the application. At certain point I would like to be able to record interaction sessions to reproduce them easily every time are build the app with latest changes for testing purpose. Similar to MS Surface Simulator, when developer can record sessions and replay them during development… Thus buying MSA remote or similar is not an option…

As I’ve mentioned it took a little bit of time to put TUIO communication on iPhone/iPad together and I’m about to add recording support… out of curiosity, is there anybody interested in such a tool? I look forward to sharing the code or publish to AppStore without problems. Just don’t want to re-intevent the wheel smile

Posted: 13 August 2010 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

I think most people use TouchOSC or MSA Remote (which I use). Personally, I don’t know that I’d need to record sessions as I’m more interested in live interaction. This may be something that could be a feature request in MSA Remote than a whole new application. It’s hard to say. I think if you just want input that’s automatic, there wouldn’t be a need to have it come from an iphone/ipad and you could just use one of the existing tuio simulators. I know one or two can record and playback interaction.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube