42” DSI Table
Posted: 14 August 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12
Total Posts:  13

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I’m fairly new to multitouch but I have been lurking around for a few months (sound familiar?) and I think I’m ready to start building! smile Anyway here’s my idea: (not very ambitious because it’s only my first project)

DSI Project
Box dimensions: ~44"x32"x20"
Viewing area: ~36"x24" (about 42” diagonal)
Projector: BenQ MP772 ST
LEDs: 850nm IR LED 5meter reel from environmentallights.com
Cameras: Two PS3eyes in custom housing (PeauProductions)
Computer: Hopefully a Mac Mini

Acrylic would go like this:
||=Rear projection 7D513====||
||===Endlighten XL 0.315"===|| < 0.5” track from environmentallights

Will having layers on top of of enlighten affect the blobbage? Did I miss anything?

If anyone finds problems in this setup, feel free to point ‘em out wink Thanks in advance!

Posted: 14 August 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-01
Total Posts:  20

I’m just finishing up the case on my 42” DSI podium.  I would put a piece of AR over top of the RP.  AR is pretty cheap and the RP scratches really easily.  You shouldn’t have any problems with seeing blobs as long as you polish the Endlighten.

Posted: 14 August 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12

Thanks for the info!
How will fiducials work with this setup? Will the camera be able to see through all this acrylic?
Oh and sorry for the noob question but what is AR? wink

Posted: 14 August 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Looks good, and as Grimm mentioned, top layer of AR acrylic to protect the RP material.  Make sure you account for about a 2-3 inch space from the point where the edge of the Endlighten is and where you start touching the image.  This is because the LEDs are super bright at the edge and this can mess up your calibration.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 14 August 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12

Thanks for the advice, peau! I’ll make sure to buy cameras from your store.
Also, what is the best way to mount all these layers of acrylic to the frame? An L-track/beam/thing?

Posted: 14 August 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Yeah you can put them in a L frame or even better is find a U frame they all fit in, that’s what I use.  Check out some pics of my DSI setup here:
http://peauproductions.com/media_pp_dsi.html

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 14 August 2010 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12

Your setup is awesome! Thanks again for the info.

Posted: 15 August 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-01
Total Posts:  20

AR stands for abrasion (scratch) resistant.  Check it out here: http://www.acrylite.net/product/acrylite/en/products/sheet/abrasion-resistant/pages/default.aspx.  Peau is right about the U channel, that’s what I used.  Just take a notch out where each corner will be and heat it up with a blowtorch before gently bending it, that works beautifully.  Then you can slide in the acrylic and snap the final piece over the side where you slid it in.

Posted: 09 July 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-08
Total Posts:  9

Can someone please tell me if the AR needs to be touching the RP material or can it be separated. What i am trying to do is create the black border around the image under the AR. I thought about painting, sticking some sort of film or adding a plastic layer between AR and RP.

‹‹ Rotating DI Table?      My DSI Project 52' ››