1 of 8
Really cheap rubber solution. 
Posted: 28 November 2007 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04
Total Posts:  85

Hi,
This is my first post and im french so please be nice with me… First of all, i would like to thanx everyone here for sharing there work, if it wasnt of you i couldnt play with this amazing technology and special thanx to software sharers. After reading a lot about the all concept, the only grey zone was the rubber. Sorta clear and other rubber are hard to find by here so i tried other material. My solution reside in removable caulk used during the winter on window to stop draft. I found a product wich i can thin to spray it over my acrylic using a varnish gun, this way i can easily spray an even surface and i can perfectly control the thickness.  This product is toluene based, toluene could be found in any paint store and it may be classified as an industrial product. You could thin it to any flow property you want, and you could use it with the pooring method. What is cool with this product, its that it can be easily remove if you do a mistake it wont damage the precious acrilic!

here a link to the product

link

here a sample video i have made with a 0.007 inch layer of this rubber.

I dont know if my result are comparable with other rubber. I dont know wich thickness is the best, i will keep doing experiment.

The caulk tube cost 2.86$ cad
Toluene is around 4$/liter.

I hope this could help someone!!
Thanx to everyone who share their good result!!

Christopher

Signature 

My setup Description
My Website with video reviews of soft! UPDATED!
Sorry for my bad english, Im french!

Posted: 29 November 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-25
Total Posts:  107

Wow. That result seemed to be very good.

Posted: 29 November 2007 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-19
Total Posts:  212

Hi.
SUPER looking results !

Is this layer removeable in one piece ?
Could it be re-applied ?
I’m looking for a way to make my silicone layer without having to
completely dis-assemble my rig.  And this looks like it might do the
trick. smile

edit**** Have you tried the same test but with
using tracing paper between the rubber and rosco?

Signature 

"And crawling on the planets face. Some insects called the human race.
Lost in time, And lost in space and meaning… “

Posted: 29 November 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-22
Total Posts:  92

Welcome and thanks. Looks pretty promising, especially the price. wink
One thing though: Is the layer transparent so that a projected image can get through well?

Posted: 29 November 2007 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi,
The rubber is really tough, its really streatchable and really hard to tear. The rubber stick really well to the acrilic so when you try to peel it, it streach and deform so i dont think you’l be able reapply it. As i use really thin layer its almost imposible to unstick it in one piece. Its clear, not totally as water but its really clear, you can see the transparency in the video. For what ive seen of sorta clear silicone, it seem as transparent as it. I didnt test with a tracing paper cause it doesnt stick to the rosco so i didnt see an importance to do it. I will receive my beamer shortly so i will be able to tell you more about the video aspect. My result show me than it doesnt work well under 0.007 inch. I will try with a thicker layer to see the difference. Im looking for an anti Ir additive to put in so i could block outside system IR.

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 29 November 2007 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-02
Total Posts:  50

Hi,
Sounds promising.
Does anyone have an idea which German product corresponds to this?

Posted: 30 November 2007 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-04
Total Posts:  159

how does this compare to sorta clear silicone in testing?  Brighter blobs?  The way you thined it reminds me of electrical silicone sealant.

Posted: 19 December 2007 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi there,
I have made a 3 feet by 4 feet multitouch display using this rubber and its seems to work well. My computer is an athlonxp 3000+ 1 gig ram, so i have to run 320x240 @ 30fps or the computer crash. Its is really usable but the computer seem to be the bottle neck!

I have made a video… I choose the song by its duration time so im sorry for those who doesnt like it!

Its nothing new! Just to show my result!

Thanx again!!

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 21 December 2007 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-20
Total Posts:  11

Hi Christopher,

I saw your video of your vis wall and it looks great! Could you give the group a rundown of your construction (i.e., DI or FTIR, screen material, compliant material, etc)?

Thanks and nice job!

w

Posted: 21 December 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03
Total Posts:  88

Wow this looks fantastic. I think you’ve found a new, cheap, safe and easy solution compared to the previous silicon rubber results. I am really getting my hands on some of that stuff tomorrow or after christmas. Thanks, and great looking video btw! :-D

Posted: 23 December 2007 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

My setup is built with ftir using components recommended on this site.
My layering is sample…

Protective film (Transparent plastic used to protect kitchen table, could be found in every hardware store.)
Rosco grey (Projection screen)
Thin Silicone Film (see upper post)
Acrilic 1/2 inch thick

P.S. The product request a lot of shaking to totally dissolve in toluene but a good filtration will fix the issue!!

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 27 December 2007 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-27
Total Posts:  45

hey chris, i’m french ! i wanted to know if u would share your experience with me, french talkin… i was thinkin about makin a full tutorial of a LCD FTIR solution while making mine. would you be a part of this project ?

Posted: 27 December 2007 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi ynk,
i wonder if i should make an “how to guide” for my rubber solution as long as people now seem to go for DI in majority… If I see some sort of interest for it, I will do one in english of course. I will be honest… the lcd part of your project, i dont know nothing about it, the only lcd i played with was from a pda… I will be happy to help you with all i know (not so much)!!! You can pm me in fench i’ll be happy to answer you !

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 27 December 2007 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-12
Total Posts:  195

I think a how-to would be very appreciated.  The biggest problem with FTIR is finding a cheap and easy compliant surface.

You mentioned spraying with a varnish gun.  Where would one get one of these/how much would it cost?

Posted: 28 December 2007 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi,
i’ve made a “how to” guide of my solution.

File Attachments
Christopher's rubber solution - how to.pdf  (File Size: 133KB - Downloads: 4649)
 Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 28 December 2007 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-07
Total Posts:  272

slick stuff dude… really appreciate your effort for the guide… was wondering bout the video you posted earlier...what have you used to map your system mouse to the touch event..??

Signature 

cheers!!!

deej
http://therealdesktop.blogspot.com

1 of 8