1 of 3
TouchMi Prototype 2 meter bar/counter top
Posted: 28 October 2010 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27
Total Posts:  97

We’ve just about finished up our prototype bar and so we figured it’s time to make an account and post it.

Screwfunk and myself are based in Japan and we have been working on something for a while now and we figured we’d toss it in here to see what everyone thinks:

Keep in mind that we hastily calibrated the system because we were running out of time to take the video.  We’ll post a more polished video once we have everything finished.

As the title says, this is a 2 meter prototype/demo unit that we use to show customers what kind of product they are going to get.  Our “showcase” version I guess you could say.

The bar we’re building for our next customer will be 5 meters long.

Our setup is as follows:

2m of 8mm plexi with HoloContraM projection film on the bottom.
2 Short throw projectors in a rear projection setup
The 2 projectors are overlapped by about 15%
The projectors are connected via HDMI to DVI cables to a single ATI 5770 card’s DVI ports
The desktop is using EyeFinity to appear as a single desktop
We’re using software to do projector blending ,geometric correction and color matching.  (more on this in another post)
At this time we’re running MT4J and it runs great.  We’re going to try out some other frameworks in the next couple of days and see how those perform as well.

We’re also looking for Java, Python, and/or .NET programmers for some custom application work.  if anyone’s interested, drop me a PM.  Initial work would be done on a per-app basis, but could definitely evolve into a full time position.

Any and all comments are appreciated. smile

Image Attachments
Bar1.jpgBar2.jpg
 Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 28 October 2010 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
Total Posts:  561
Elite

Woah ! This looks great , the water app really is natural !

Signature 

~~Amit~~

Website - Twitter - Facebook

Posted: 29 October 2010 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-06
Total Posts:  173

Amit,

Comming from you that is a huge compliment. Saturday we will be using your CCV 1.4 to do some object tracking smile We will keep you posted.

Thank you

Screwfunk
TouchMi

Signature 

Screwfunk
TouchMi inc. - 2 meter Prototype RearDI Bar

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Total Posts:  332

That is real nice rasberry. Damn I goiung to build now for sure a huge mt table smile

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
47 inch pure design multitouch
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

Yah.  We can’t wait to finish up the 5 meter version and take some more videos.  The 5 meter bar will be accompanied by 3 42” multitouch VIP tables scattered throughout the dance club.

We’re also considering making a shadow tracking interactive wall at the entryway.

I wonder what it would take for an interactive dance floor smile

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Wow that is a nice project. Do you own a club or is it for a customer ?

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-06

We do not own the Club. Its a new club opening up in Naha Japan in December called Tz. We are howver close with the owner.

Screwfunk

Signature 

Screwfunk

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Aha. Question what is res of the projectors and that is the 2 meter bar for?

The 5 meter bar is that pure for visual or also internet, mail; different screen like PyMT-examples?

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

The projectors are running at 1440x900 for a total scree res of 2880x900.  The 5 meter bar will mostly be touch and object tracking… visual input since they don’t plan on putting barstools at the bar, but we’ll probably add things like a menu browser, ability to play movies, etc..

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 29 October 2010 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-28
Total Posts:  63

First of all congratulations with your setup.
Can you tell us a little bit more of all the materials you guy,s used.??

Thanks....

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-06

Here are the projectors we are using. As you can see they do a very good job.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-EW230U-ST.htm

We are also using the full PS3 camera rigs with cases and CS mounts from Peauproductions and the 1.7mm zero distortion lenses.

The projection material is HoloContraM from IceAV

The top layer is regular 8mm Plexi with the projection surface stuck to the bottom. We will hopefully be moving to tempered glass. Problem is finding it that size.

As for what the bar will do, we plan on implementing web browsing, SMS, ordering (POS).. And a few other features we are working on. As time goes and ideas come we will implement as we get them ironed out.

Screwfunk

Signature 

Screwfunk

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

Well, the materials are listed in the first post.  If you mean for the actual bar itself, we’re using 2cm countertop board.  Not sure what it’s actually called.  It’s a bunch of bonded 1x2s into a really solid piece of plywood like material.  Good wood is pretty expensive here in Japan so we have to make do with what’s local.

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Ok. All I want to say is that we are in an stage that a large hotel group wants tables of 6x2 meter rasberry. There have to sit linke 14 people on tha table so resolution is important for me. 2 projectors wouldn’t maken that. Then the customers have only 411 px each.
But the projector is still sleeping because the hotel group is looking for funding there 18 new hotels. Maybe skype ? rogiermars

I think for a 5 meter bar minimal 3 projectors are necessary

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-06

We have found the best way is 1 meter 1 projector. Its expensive due to the software involved with shaping and blending each image but the final product is well worth it.

Screwfunk

Signature 

Screwfunk

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

6x2 meters wouldn’t be all that hard actually.  Your hardest problem is going to be finding a piece of plexi that large.  You might be able to fuse the edges of some smaller pieces together but 2 meters wide is going to be a real pain.  You’d need some pretty thick plexi or perhaps tempered glass but that’ll cost you a whole ton of cash.

these short throw projectors we are using are incredible.  The’re only about 60cm from the screen and they output at 1m x 70cm image.  They could definately handle the sizes you’re looking at but you’d need 4 or 5 of them and they’re not cheap.  We’re going to use 5 of those (1 per meter) on the big bar since they work so well.

Also, we’re using modified ps3 cams with the 1.7 CS lenses from peauproductions.  Once again, 1 per meter.  This way we can build the system 1 meter at a time and test as we go.

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27
Screwfunk - 29 October 2010 02:08 AM

We have found the best way is 1 meter 1 projector. Its expensive due to the software involved with shaping and blending each image but the final product is well worth it.

Screwfunk

And the more projectors you use, the higher your output resolution is also.  Have you guys started it yet or is it still in the planning stages?

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

1 of 3