3 of 5
Windows Kinect Driver/SDK - Xbox NUI Audio, NUI Camera, NUI Motor and Accelerometer
Posted: 09 November 2010 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342

@lukasz,

Not sure what are you trying to say. Just to clarify thigs a bit, if you read in the project description, the plans are to release the Kinect driver full open source under MIT license.
I’m not sure from where you get that the driver is practically finished. Just because it captures images does not mean it is complete. The more complete driver will give user the ability of controlling various camera parameters, access to microphones as well as motor/sensor all in one well defined API library.

AlexP

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 09 November 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07
Total Posts:  27

@christian yes, i know you understand this smile

@alex i’m a bit surprised here, i thought this was a CL project? the kinect driver would be totally independent from CL?

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08

kyle,

Can’t a company start a complete open source project? Of course it can. In fact many open source projects started this way.

Signature 

Code Laboratories
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07

@alex, of course a company can start an open source project (various linux distros, mysql, mozilla, etc).

i was confused because you wrote how this was a “separate venture from any past commercial work” or something like that. i don’t remember the exact wording, and can’t find where you wrote it. not sure if you edited the post, or what. if you changed your mine, that’s fine—i was just assuming this would be developed as part of CL, and your comment seemed to be pushing for something else. feel free to clarify!

Posted: 09 November 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-08
Total Posts:  13

LOL so now we have 3 licenses Team AlexP is MIT, Team JoshB is Apache2 and Team Libkinect is GPLV2

3 Licenses and no code grin

Posted: 09 November 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08

@kyle, the CL Kinect project is totally open source (MIT license) driver that anyone can compile, modify and use free of charge. The CL Kinect is not directly connected with any commercial CL efforts.
Because there seems to be a confusion, I said “separate from past CL commercial projects” so that CL Kinect won’t be confused with CL Eye development which was not open source.

Signature 

Code Laboratories
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-08

interesting some code is now starting to appear from adafruit she uploaded the dumps and just uploaded motor code https://github.com/adafruit/Kinect

Posted: 10 November 2010 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-27
Total Posts:  150

Great job Alex,
Unfortunately I never got to use your PS3 driver although I have several ps3 cameras. I use them in Linux. My guess would be that I probably wont get to use your Kinect driver either.

Keep up the good work anyway,

Signature 

Build a Near Touch Device! | Blog | 23" LCD FTIR running Ubuntu 11.04 | 32" LCD DSI Coffeetable

Posted: 10 November 2010 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Total Posts:  1897
Dedicated

I didn’t have time to read all 3 pages but there is one thing to keep in mind, 10k is less than 1$ per member of the NUI… I understand perfectly AlexP “business plan"… Open-source is vital for such projects but shared involvement and support is also one basic rule… I think…

Signature 

One more but very useful blog : http://blog.cktouch.com/
Rear DI + Windows Seven = So Nice…

Posted: 10 November 2010 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-10
Total Posts:  7

Wow. I am from Holland and was reading news about that the kinect was hacked by someone from MIT. It was a pleasant suprise that it was done by you.
The same guy who made it possible to connect the PS3 cam on the PC. Great work. I made a tweet about it here: http://twitter.com/matthijsgr
Cheers

Posted: 10 November 2010 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-25
Total Posts:  25

Looks like some working source code is already up for depthmap + rgb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhW-cvpkks
http://git.marcansoft.com/?p=libfreenect.git;a=summary

Posted: 10 November 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Nice work as usual AlexP smile

Posted: 10 November 2010 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-08

Well it looks like the new code released is GPLV2 took him 3 hours ? 

http://git.marcansoft.com/?p=libfreenect.git;a=blob;f=README.txt

Following twitter conversations

The solution was created using Adafruits USB dumps she uploaded to the net. 

@marcan42 appears to have formally submitted it for review

@Adafruit is reviewing to see if it meets the rules of the competition.

Posted: 10 November 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07

@alex did you you check out the code from hector? curious to hear what you think.

i noticed you’re still taking donations. are you still planning on developing your own “professional grade Kinect driver solution”? how do you plan on setting yours apart from the open source one(s)?

now that hector’s code is GPL, are you planning on GPLing your code? or are you going to keep your source closed (while ignoring any of the open source development, obviously), and continue working independently?

i’m really looking forward to seeing what comes of all this great work everyone is putting in!

edit: @alex, congrats on choosing to donate the chipin funds to hector + team, seems like a great decision!

Posted: 10 November 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09
Total Posts:  3

we just announced the winner:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/10/we-have-a-winner-open-kinect-drivers-released-winner-will-use-3k-for-more-hacking-plus-an-additional-2k-goes-to-the-eff/

Hector has decided to invest this bounty into hacking tools and devices for a group of people he works with closely (e.g. iPhone Dev Team members, Wii hacker team Team Twiizers, and a few others). They don’t have much expendable income to buy tools and devices to hack, and sometimes this hobby can be a bit expensive, this will be a good investment that will allow them to hack more and newer devices.

In addition to the $3k bounty we are ALSO going to donate $2,000 to the EFF (http://www.eff.org/). They defend our digital rights, our right to hack, reverse engineer and do things like this project. From the start of this effort Microsoft said they were going to “work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant” - if they did (or still plan to) the EFF would likely be our only hope (yours too). If you’d like to make sure we can all continue to hack, tinker and mod please consider donating to the EFF as well.

3 of 5