Viewing PDFs in MT4j
Posted: 21 November 2010 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-19
Total Posts:  10

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to do display PDFs in MT4j yet. Anybody?

If not, I was wondering how you would go about doing this.  I would like to find a solution that takes advantage of the vector graphics in PDFs, rather than converting into an image.  The pdf-render library seems like a good starting point (https://pdf-renderer.dev.java.net/).  The most straightforward thing would be to try to embed a Swing object into there, but I’ve heard there might be some stability issues.  Any other ideas?

Other than just getting a PDF page display, it’ll be a matter of building a MT4j widget that’ll be capable of flipping through the pages of a PDF.  That’ll come later though…

Thanks for your time!

alistair

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  612
Elite

Should be easy to get pdf rendering into MT4j using images as textures. If you want to draw it using vector graphics you will have to do a little more work. But it shouldnt be hard to convert Java2D shapes and geometry to mt4j’s geometric shapes. I would definitely welcome a pdf reader app smile
I have been investigating page flipping techniques myself but didnt come around to implement anything. But I have a paper about it around here somewhere..

Signature 

MT4j - Multi-Touch for Java!

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-19
Total Posts:  10

Ok, I’ll probably start slow, just by converting it to an image. But, once I go beyond that, I’ll keep you in the loop with any progress I’ve made.

If you come across that paper, let me know! If not don’t worry about it. Thanks!

Posted: 14 January 2016 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-09-28
Total Posts:  3

Hi, alistair.
Thanks for sharing your problem. As for me, I have seldom tried to display PDFs in MT4j yet or convert DOC, DOCX, PDF, WPS, Word, HTML, and other types of files Convert text documents within a few minutes. Have you ever worked it out? I wonder whether you have any exprience about
pdf conversion process. Because there is something wrong with my pdf reader. I need convert pdf to text or other formats. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Best regards,
Lee