IR through cheap Optic Fibers
Posted: 13 December 2010 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
Total Posts:  124

Hi ! Its been a long time i last posted on the forums.
I am trying to experiment with a few optic fiber strands i pulled apart from a show piece.
which looks something like this :-
c95c_usb_fiber_optic_christmas_tree.jpg
I tried passing IR light through the optic fiber but i don’t see illuminated dots at the other end. That is, the IR light doesn’t seem to be traveling through the fiber.
Is the fiber limited to a certain(visible) range of wavelength of light ?
Are there any cheap fiber optics available for IR ?

Thanks,
- MadJ

Posted: 13 December 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

I assume with IR emitter it would depend on how you couple the IR emitter to the strand. generally speaking most fiber optic cables have a coupler that connects the strand to the emitter source it could just be that you aren’t getting the proper cohesion between the emitter and strand.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 14 December 2010 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-05
Total Posts:  49

Yes an optical fiber does not work for all wavelengths, and besides some materials absorb IR light (I think for example glass does), so there are many possible reasons why it would not work.

Google gives results for ir optical fiber, so I would assume that they exist, but I have no idea if this would be a cheap solution

Posted: 15 December 2010 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-27
Total Posts:  150

Since we are getting FTIR effect with acrylic, if you can get your hands on any acrylic based fibre then the light should travel through it as expected. Have you tried fishing lines? If you get some tick clear fishing lines, they might work the way you want. But that is just a guess. I am curious about this too, so if you find an appropriate fibre, please share it with us. smile

Signature 

Build a Near Touch Device! | Blog | 23" LCD FTIR running Ubuntu 11.04 | 32" LCD DSI Coffeetable

Posted: 29 December 2010 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22
Total Posts:  2

Some types of glass can transmit infrared. I remember reading that infrared can travel through silica, fluoride, or glass. What kind of infrared LED light are you using? I’d like to hear how it turns out. LED Flashlight

Posted: 30 December 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  204

Check out FiberBoard project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivVIubdml2k , IR channeling via optical fibers

Signature 

sharathpatali.wordpress.com

Posted: 30 December 2010 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-27
Total Posts:  150

@Sarath: That FiberBoard is very cool. I had the same idea and was going to test fishing line as an IR transmitting fabric, but they beat me to it smile. Do you have any more information about this project? I am wondering how did they calibrate it. Also, if the fibers are spaced out 10mm from each other, then how accurate can the tracking be? I wish they had a more clear demo that would show the response and accuracy of the system.

Signature 

Build a Near Touch Device! | Blog | 23" LCD FTIR running Ubuntu 11.04 | 32" LCD DSI Coffeetable

Posted: 26 November 2015 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-11-25
Total Posts:  1

Hi

The most confusing term in the fibre optics is the wavelength. It is used to define the color of light. Wavelength and frequency are related, so some radiation is identified by its wavelength while others are referred to by their frequency.  For fiber optics with glass fibers, we use light in the infrared region which has wavelengths longer than visible light, typically around 850, 1300 and 1550 nm. For more information, you can browse http://www.andcorp.com.au/