Touch2TUIO touch inputs on Windows7
Posted: 31 December 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22
Total Posts:  2

I’m using Touch2TUIO bridge to interface with with windows7, I don’t know if anyone out there has any experience with this but I’d love to get your input.

If you’ve not familiar with Touch2TUIO I’ll give a brief description of what it does: Touch2uniTUIO is an exe that targets the uniTUIO window via command-line argument. Touch events are intercepted by windows hook. It seems to use the WM_TOUCH method to access and forward on touch inputs. When you run the command line, there is this message that says mouse hook is installed — which I’m sure you can see in the video below (sorry of the ghetto player).

The problem I’m having is that is it not allowing single inputs. It seems to always have two inputs. The first which seems to always exist is the mouse. The second and third (and so on) are the next inputs which cannot exist alone. The source code for Touch2TUIO is available to edit and recompile, however I have no experience this api. I simply want to hide the cursor/mouse completely— possibly through the WM_MOUSE method? I’m not really sure.

The other Windows7 bridge does seem to work ok though, the transparent window bridge, called the WM_TOUCH bridge.

Timeline:

script is run(notice mouse hook message),
mouse is over the window(hover state) touch input is applied— but both remain present,
mouse buttons are used to drag demo box around,
next the keyboard and mouse are used to manipulate box.

The video: removed

Touch2TUIO bridge (http://dm.tzi.de/research/hci/touch2tuio/)
WM_TOUCH bridge (http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4087/)

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted: 11 January 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-05

Hi Mike,

Our experiences with Touch2Tuio are very good. It works nicely together with uniTUIO and Unity, and has several major advantages over WM_TOUCH bridge (namely, no hassle with some transparent pseudo-fullscreen overlay, *real* fullscreen support, etc.).
However, we are using our own reimplemented version of uniTUIO, which is essentially the “old” version (pre-RC1) plus some features and modifications from the RC1 version, so I couldn’t reproduce your problem.

One thing you can try, is to optionally disable the mouse emulation. For this you need to comment out all “if (Input.GetMouseButton...” sections in LateUpdate() of BBIPhoneTouchManager.cs (or more convenient: wrap them into an “if(emulateMouseEvents)”, declare “public bool emulateMouseEvents”, and set/unset it in the inspector).
It has the drawback that you can no longer control your app with the mouse, only touch, but for us it solved problems like yours in the past.

Regards,
Wolfram

Posted: 12 April 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

Thanks. That was the problem. I just commented out the block of code for emulating mouse movements and it works great now! Thanks!

Posted: 04 May 2011 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-15
Total Posts:  40

@Wolfram , can you share your version of uniTUIO??? thanks

Posted: 16 August 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-27
Total Posts:  9

Hi Mike!
Your Touch2Tuio bridge works nice smile
I have a question: is it possible somehow to get wm_touch events not from a single window, but from the whole screen?

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-25
Total Posts:  9
3dmark - 16 August 2011 10:43 PM

Hi Mike!
Your Touch2Tuio bridge works nice smile
I have a question: is it possible somehow to get wm_touch events not from a single window, but from the whole screen?

I didn’t try such thing but hooking tuio to explorer.exe or any other windows app/service may work.

Anyone ?