Parallels on mac and touchLib? 
Posted: 26 December 2007 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-05
Total Posts:  37

I have a copy of Parallels I was thinking of installing, along with Win XP and was wondering if anyone else had any success using Parallels on an Intel Mac, with touchLib? Most of what I have read mentions the use of Bootcamp, and wanted to know if that was really the only way to do it. I have a Fire-I board camera that I’ll need to run of this along with touchLib. Normally I’d just give it a shot and try it out, but because of all the partitioning and setup involved, I’d rather not muck up my mac and drives for nothing if it’s not the way to go.

Thanks!
-Stephen

Posted: 27 December 2007 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-07
Total Posts:  272

hey...i’ve used paralles on mac about a year back and m not very sure if touchlib will work well with it (it might with the newer version of parallels desktop) .the problem mainly lies because parallel desktop creates a virtual machine and installs windows on it… so u can assign a part of your ram / hdd / other resources from OSX and run windows from within OSX.. this works fine for most of the softwares but at the time (older version) i used parallel , it did not allow the usb / fire wire ports to be used in both the OS so u have to bridge the usb from osX to windows. and that degrades the performance of the usb / firewire port. (might have been fixed in newer version). secondly the graphics / motherboard / firmware is all virtual so u can’t really harness much power from your GPU to run any of the apps cause the versio i used simulated the graphics as some lowend onboard graphics card. (i could not use 3ds max / autocad properly)… so i wont say no. but i have seriuos doubt about touchlib working properly with parallel desktop. but i am sure its worth a try… do go ahead if you have the time.... and let us know smile .... and i believe you dont need to necessarily partition the drive (maybe the newer version require that) you can create a virtual disk image for hdd that sit on you mac drive itslef as a 7-20 gb file as per allocation. you can simply delete that later.

hope this helps ..

cheers

Signature 

cheers!!!

deej
http://therealdesktop.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 December 2007 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-05
Total Posts:  191

the main problem is that parallels does not support firewire..
i jused it with a phillips usb cam, but its not really reliable (speed drops sometimes ...)
but for some development and testing its fine…
maybe they offer firewire support now? havenĀ“t checked in a while..

Signature 

Blog: http://iad.projects.zhdk.ch/multitouch/
180 Project: http://www.timroth.de/180/

Posted: 27 December 2007 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-05
Total Posts:  37

I appreciate the input. Good point about the Firewire… I guess I was taking it for granted that it would just use those ports. But it looks like, for now at least, they only support USB. Don’t see any mention of Firewire or 1394 on their site. Since I have a Fire-I, that’s pretty much a deal breaker.

Unfortunately, you can’t just buy Boot Camp. The beta expires in 3 days, and after that the only way you can use it is to purchase Leopard. Something I had planned to do, but not until they work the kinks out. Not to get off subject, but have either of you made the move to Leopard yet, and has it been smooth? Heard a few horror stories (and there are always a few), but many of them have mentioned issues with some fundamental things, like the Mail app.

Just trying to avoid having to steal, er I mean, borrow, my girlfriend’s PC laptop much longer smile

Thanks.

Posted: 27 December 2007 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-07
Total Posts:  272

i’ve tried leopard (10.5.1....yep they already have a upgrade smile) on my MBP ... first lot (intel core duo / 1600X ATI / 2 gig ram)...works super smooth and i did not come across any problems ... havent used Mail tho..but the rest works just fine… some of the third party softwares require updates and they are available.. the only one at a fix currently is java runtime for leopard. but that shud be out soon.

PS : guess we can start a leopard section in the general discussion secton of softwares.. just to keep data / post organised smile

cheers

Signature 

cheers!!!

deej
http://therealdesktop.blogspot.com