2 of 2
Surface-like App Launcher
Posted: 06 April 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-10
Total Posts:  10

Hi everybody, I’m still making some modifications on my new launcher and I’m looking for some ideas !

Today the launcher can
- deal with 4 categories of programs (where u have to put the image icon and a shortcut to the real program)
- allow you to change the background image between files in a special directory
- Show you the hour with a small clock widget (really first try)
- Due to the addition of the menu on the top left, u can also now add some small “post-it” windows on the main screen which allow you to take some notes or draw some ideas in different colours

Tell me if you have funny or interesting ideas of things I can add in that program !

Thanks in advance

Image Attachments
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Posted: 10 April 2011 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
Total Posts:  135

Hey guys,
I just finished a new version of Launcher. Here you have a zip w/ the executable executable wink
so here a the features:
*drag/n/drop between containers
*save containers
*remove empty containers
*add new containers
*remove icon from previous container (drag/n/drop)
*select background image
*save background image selection

okay, tell me what you think (and any bugs if you find some)
have a nice sunday^^
~theCake

EDIT: oh crap I just found another bug (the lnk-file is not found after an application is moved...)
I’ll fix it after a break (bike-tour wink

EDIT: just fixed the bug. The updated version is in the attachment.

EDIT: changed attached .zip: Code remains the same; working sample shortcuts for Internet Explorer, Paint, Surface Collage and Surface Globe. And wrote about it on my blog: http://kuchenzeit.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/simple-launcher-2/

File Attachments
Simple Launcher 2.zip  (File Size: 2497KB - Downloads: 445)
Simple Launcher 2 (with sample shortcuts).zip  (File Size: 3156KB - Downloads: 399)
 Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 14 March 2012 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-13
Total Posts:  5

Hi theCake & blacksad!

I’ve been following this thread and reading about both your launchers. I love how far you guys have gone with this.
I’m super interested in using your launcher on a 14ft touch bar I’ve built at my restaurant in Puerto Rico (I have some pictures if you want to check them out :D )

@theCake

I’ve tried running your application ( but they seem to crash on startup with the following exception:
‘Set property ‘System.Windows.ResourceDictionary.Source’ threw an exception.’ Line number ‘8’ and line position ‘18’. (Simple Launcher 2.zip)
‘Set property ‘System.Windows.ResourceDictionary.Source’ threw an exception.’ Line number ‘9’ and line position ‘12’. (Simple Launcher Project File.zip)

I fixed this in your project file by removing the line:

<ResourceDictionary Source="/Microsoft.Surface.Presentation.Generic;v1.5.0.0;31bf3856ad364e35;component/themes\styles.xaml"/>

from App.xaml:

<Application.Resources>
      <
ResourceDictionary>
        <
ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
           <
ResourceDictionary Source="/Microsoft.Surface.Presentation.Generic;v1.5.0.0;31bf3856ad364e35;component/themes\styles.xaml"/>
        </
ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
      </
ResourceDictionary>
    </
Application.Resources>
</
Application>

I installed the Microsoft Surface SDK 2.0 and I’m using VS2010. Is there something I’m missing?

Posted: 15 March 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

Hello,
That’s nice to hear^ I discontinued the development because the Windows 8 start screen is almost the same, but on a large bar it should be very cool^ I’d love to see pictures of it in action^
I think the version above is for the older SDK version, that might have caused the exception. So you fix should be enough wink

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 15 March 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-13

Thanks for the quick reply, theCake.

I guess I’ll have to install the older SDK in order to run your redistributable application.
I’m assuming that’s SDK v1.0?

Also, Windows 8 does seem to be really nice. Have you been able to interact with it using TUIO?
I’m going to research that.

I’ve attached some pictures of our project for you guys to check out. smile
It’s still under development, so they won’t look that pretty rasberry

The restaurant is:
http://www.zazones.com/

We’re just getting started, so everything is under construction…

Image Attachments
IMG_0796[1].JPGIMG_0778[1].JPGIMG_0767[1].JPG

Posted: 15 March 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

That looks good - is it a glass surface? DSI?
I didn’t have the opportunity to test multitouch on Windows 8 so far, but it is possible with TUIO. I’m not familiar with multi-monitor setups, they might cause some problems, but it’s certainly worth a try! Windows 8 has a better screen management - the taskbar is extended to all monitors, start menu and Metro apps run on the ‘main’ screen, which can be switched with a single click..
good luck with your project!

EDIT: forgot to attach a zip - I just deleted two files, including the one causing the error, from the solution - you should now be able to run it in a MS Surface 2.0 (SDK or Runtime) environment.

File Attachments
Simple Launcher 2 Sources.zip  (File Size: 14241KB - Downloads: 317)
 Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 15 March 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-13

Oh wow, thanks theCake!
I’ll sure check these files out right now.

This is a 4 monitor Rear DI bar.
We’re using AMD Eyefinity to span it across all monitors.
The sweet thing about it is that Eyefinity allows you to treat all four monitors as one display, instead of four interconnected displays.
So in the display settings we only have one super wide display. I’ll see if I can get this to run there and share the results.

I’d love to try Windows 8 with it as well. I should probably install my beta copy and give that a spin.

I’ll keep you posted, and thanks a bunch! :D

2 of 2