How I got up (OpenNI>OSC>MAX/MSP on windows 7 x64)
Posted: 09 July 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-19
Total Posts:  6

Hey guys, hope this is the right place for this.

The fixin’s;

0) Max/MSP and a working knowledge thereof. This can be gotten to work in PD, I’m sure, but I haven’t tried yet and probably won’t.

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYYMtH3Ll8

Watch the vid, read the instructions in the description, and download the file from mediafire and follow the instructions in the documentation and/or the video (don’t remember which is fresher). It’s the first distro of OpenNI/ PrimeSense NITE that worked for me.

Go to Program Files (x86)\Prime Sense\NITE\Documentation and read the Algorithms pdf.

TEST:

Connect your kinect. Windows should want to install new hardware. This should be under a new category in Device Manager called PrimeSense, and should make 3 devices called Kinect Audio, Kinect Camera, and Kinect motor.

Once that happens, mosey on over to the Prime Sense folder in your Program Files (x86) folder and go into Sensor\SampleXMLs\NITE\Data. Copy all files there into Prime Sense\NITE\Data, replacing originals. Go back to the NITE folder and open Samples\bin\release. Fire up Sample-PointViewer.exe.

The kinect laser should activate (little red dot on the left-hand side) and you should get a window with a picture of the camera output.

Move your hand (left or right) back and forth in an even horizontal line at moderate speed, with the fingers splayed out. Within 1-3 seconds a white dot followed by a line should appear on your palm (in the onscreen image, not IRL smile).
If that works, close the sample program and proceed.

NOTE: if it fails to start, run it a couple more times. The driver is often slow to release.

2) The max patcher from here; http://tohmjudson.com/?p=30, as well as CNMAT objects for MAX.

Tohm’s site in its entirety is suggested reading, however be advised that I followed the youtube vid and Tohm’s stuff is untested. If it works for you please let me know.

3) OSCeleton, also from Tohm’s site. No need to compile from source unless you really really want to - osceleton github repository contains a perfectly fine precompiled binary, which is what you get when you click the download button.

What to do

After you’ve installed and tested all of the above

1) Read the OSCeleton documentation on github.

2) Browse on over to the directory you unpacked osceleton to. run it with -? command-line switch to see all the command-line params.

3) Of these, the only one I’ve found to be absolutely necessary is the -p switch. I don’t know what port it outputs to by default but it’s not 7110.

TEST:

run osceleton with the -w switch. You should see pretty much the same window you saw in the OpenNI test(minus the cursor), and the same kinect laser activity.

4) Once that’s going, fire up Max/MSP, make a new patcher and paste the patcher from Tohm’s site.

TEST: the numbers in the flonum objects should change to reflect incoming OSC. If they don’t, save the patcher and reopen it.

5) Proceed to build your awesome visual music interface of DOOM.

Notes:

1) OSCeleton in Hand mode has the exact same output format as in Skeleton mode. No changes to MAX needed!

Questions? Let me know, but I may be a bit slow to answer.

Joe Stavitsky
LinkedIn.com/in/jstavitsky