Stantum PMatrix Multi-Touch Solution
Posted: 28 January 2008 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-14
Total Posts:  5

Dear people,

The guys from JazzMutant have developed a generic Multi-Touch display the SMK; I think it is what we have been looking for. It is just a thin transparent layer PMatrix with an USB interface that they put over a LCD screen, and also they provide you with SDK or API. The BIG problem it is its price, over 5000 €.

http://www.stantum.com

Marcel.

Posted: 30 January 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-04
Total Posts:  18

Hello Marcel.

I think Stantum’s solution is no solution for most of people in this forum (well, I’m not sure but I believe it. I hope people will post their opinions here)

Price is secondary issue for me: 5000$ is a lot of money for me but it’s nothing for medium or large enterprises.

The main problem for me is:
1) No flexible screen size. I need a multitouch screen bigger size, for example. Some people wants “minimal” screens maybe....
2) SDK is not the solution. If you pay 5000$ you must get a sort of “active-x plugin” or similar in order to translate “monotouch” applications to “multitouch” environment.

This is my opinion. Waiting to read yours.

Best regards and wishes from Costa Brava, Catalonia (Spain)

Posted: 31 January 2008 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-14
Total Posts:  5

Hi Pineapple,

I really agree with you in all facts you’ve exposed, what I’ve found interesting in SMK solution is the conceptual idea, the thin transparent layer that you put over the screen with an USB interface. Take in consideration that is a very newly concept, I think until the end of February will not be available. So they start with a 15’’ size, but they’ve planned to make from mobile screen size to 30’’. Yes, would be nice have whatever size available. About price, it sucks. May be “normal” users we must to wait to oriental market competence to decrease cost, anyway they told me that for students they will make a 25% off discount, off course not enough, should cost much less than 500€, to be reachable.

Another interesting feature: it has 120 fps response -> 8ms, fast eh!

They will be in the World Congress in Barcelona next February to play with it, but in mobile cell phone size ;(.

I love Costa Brava I’ve used to go to Aiguablava and Palamos. Very nice place, enjoy it!

Marcel.

Posted: 17 February 2008 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-16
Total Posts:  16

they better hope that apple doesn’t find that page, the way it works is identical to the way the iphone works, except instead of tiny dots, they use long strips both ways

Posted: 17 February 2008 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Black09,

Stantum has had multitouch devices out way before Apple ever did. They’ve had stuff out for years. I’m sure Apple is well aware of them and they are well aware of Apple.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube