I noticed that some people stopped numbering, and I think that there has been some repetition of earlier concepts. To try and keep this thread on track I’ve taken the suggestions to date and put them into a list. That way people can check the list for the first 49 concepts quickly and try to avoid repetition as we go forward.
Some notes : We had two #20’s so I put the second one on the end as number 49. I’ve also tried to identify who suggested what.
1. Manipulation of digital contents (digital photos etc.)
3. Drag / Drop
4. MT usage in educational system (educational games)
5. Collaborative work in offices, meeting halls, exhibitions
6. Hand-eye coordination (ie. disabilities, sport, etc)
7. Multi-touch turntable for DJing (like number 1 but music not photos and more defined as an activity/application)
8. Sterile & Sterilizable computer interface/display for medical use (even in surgical bays), ability to manipulate all digital info on patient be it files or test results (MRI, x-ray, etc)
9. Food friendly surface for use in restaurants as interactive tables/menus/Nutrition information/bill&payment system
10. Interactive gaming surface (not educational, just for fun and family) My game ideas include:
* Multitouch flight simulator Cockpit Controls, a panel that is easily redefined for the air plane being flown, ie: integration into x-plane. Even a co-pilot can activate switches.
* A really, really neat pool game (using DI, fidicuals and ‘pool cues’ on a virtual pool table) - or virtual air hockey.
* I envision a multitouch poker table with virtual cards and chips. (a cupping motion of the hand over the ‘cards’ allow them to be revealed to the player - yet his hand blocks other players views.)
* An extension to existing miniature games using fidicuals & DI, dynamic scenery and position tracking. So a gameboard that can change it’s appearance and be aware of the identities and locations of the playing pieces. I’m thinking Warhammer 40k but it could be Risk or pretty much any board game.
11. Analog+digital circuit design, verification, validation, testing ....
13. Digital mixing table (Sound)
14. Oddly enough - Clothing design. With the right interface you could 3 dimensionally clothe and tailor virtual fabric for a ‘model’ then have the table display the patterns for cutting the fabric to create the design in real life. The design table is the pattern book for the designer. I think that would be an intuitive way to integrate high tech with an industry like fashion.
15. A multi touch digital drafting table (CAD) for architectural use… combining manipulation of “digital” drafting tools using hand / gestures and physical objects like stylus / pencil to draft / draw.
16. A star Browser… A tool that lets us explore the known universe
17. NASA space adventure simulations (for teaching purposes in schools, colleges, universities etc.)
18. Statistics, changing variables in equations using sliders to change the result
19. *edit* Editing and mixing music like a DJ (really: because it is cool)
20. Black Jack and other card games
21. Interactive maps like kiosks for travelers new to cities
22. Faster video editing, you could have a film strip that shows shot footage with each frame side by side, then you could edit or re-arrange by touch
23. The coolest web browsing you’ve ever seen
24. Real Estate Blueprint re-arranging software for like floor plans and the like
25. Paper replacement if all documents become digital, they will replace paper and save tons of trees, while still allowing hand written msgs
26. Medical Training tool for practicing on virtual patients
27. Air Traffic controlling instead of typing in coordinates you could touch the plane’s icon and drag it to the area you want and a program could upload that data to that plane real-time
28. Simple and rapid file transfers, if you want me to be more specific on this one please visit my post under introductions, for it is part of that OS I’m after.
29. Interactive quickshare applications (for instance in schools where you want to show some data from your mobile or laptop to a large group of people)
30. Common cd/dvd player replacement. (You only have to put the cd/dvd on top, the numbers or scenes appear and you can select them, switch them etc by touch.)
31. Drag-and-drop programming interface - developed from mind-mapping. Objects are objects to drag and manipulate ect. Commands are dragged to its place and all connections between functions and objects are updated automatically
32. Mind mapping software for multiple users - this have been one of the first applications I have seen on videos.
33. As living room table the MT-table could act as a remote control, DVD-player and digital jukebox, interface for internet and downloable music ect - basically replace home computer as most of consumers use it. - This includes many single application ideas tough…
34. Educational use: note writing, object manipulation (words, graphics) to build sentences, word/letter tracing, presenting
35. Extended paint applications/uses (brush identifications/types, finger painting rasberry)
36. Dynamic music interfaces (virtual piano/[insert culture] stringed instruments/drums, etc...)
37. interactive desktop, i forget the name of that object oriented desktop software...anyone?
38. StarShip Control Panels - NCC-1701 yep - multi touch control panels for Data and Wesley to use when flying the starship, in fact Star Trek is all about the multi-touch with every display interactive. Things like dynamically reroutable powerconduits, computer circuits, plasma flow, all managed from the touch panel. However this could be useful in orbit where space is limited , orientation subjective and the technology complex (requiring lots of different control interfaces).
39. Web page design
40. Document editing
41. Computer art (web comics, backgrounds, etc.)
42. Artificial intelligence interface
43. Storm simulations
44. Military real-time command and strategy making.
45. RTS games User interface.
46. Interactive Audio/Visual Artwork. (My current project uses a MT interface to facilitate engagement with an interactive Cellular Automata - videos and documentation coming soon (as soon as I get my work handed in!)).
47. Multiple table in one computer framework. so the internet bar or office didn’t need a lot of computer for their staff/worker. using converter USB to Monitor by “displaylink”. and if touchlib can detect more camera with very fast and stable touch event. i think it’s very doable right now.
48. Rebirth of boardgames
49. Commercial interactive displays