2 of 5
99+ ways to use multi-touch technology
Posted: 28 February 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-29
Total Posts:  22

38: StarShip Control Panels - NCC-1701 yep - multi touch control panels for Data and Wesley to use when flying the starship, in fact Star Trek is all about the multi-touch with every display interactive. Things like dynamically reroutable powerconduits, computer circuits, plasma flow, all managed from the touch panel. However this could be useful in orbit where space is limited , orientation subjective and the technology complex (requiring lots of different control interfaces).

Posted: 03 March 2008 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-03
Total Posts:  5

39. web page design
40. document editing
41. computer art (web comics, backgrounds, etc.)
42. artificial intelligence interface
43. storm simulations

The AI one was just an idea, I am currently learning how to program one.
More to come later.

Posted: 31 March 2008 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-23
Total Posts:  33

44、Military real-time command and strategy making.
45、RTS games User interface.

I am so sure this kind of tech will be implemented in Military field first, just like most of new technologies.. nuclear, chips, powder…

Posted: 04 May 2008 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-26
Total Posts:  14

46. Interactive Audio/Visual Artwork. (My current project uses a MT interface to facilitate engagement with an interactive Cellular Automata - videos and documentation coming soon (as soon as I get my work handed in!)).

Posted: 21 May 2008 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-25
Total Posts:  41

1. multiple table in one computer framework. so the internet bar or office didn’t need a lot of computer for their staff/worker.  using converter USB to Monitor by “displaylink”. and if touchlib can detect more camera with very fast and stable touch event. i think it’s very doable right now.

Posted: 23 May 2008 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-09
Total Posts:  137

rebirth of boardgames

Signature 

my weblog
peepfair.com, slowly being developed, please use freely

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-29

HALFWAY POINT!!!!!

I noticed that some people stopped numbering, and I think that there has been some repetition of earlier concepts. To try and keep this thread on track wink I’ve taken the suggestions to date and put them into a list. That way people can check the list for the first 49 concepts quickly and try to avoid repetition as we go forward.

Some notes : We had two #20’s so I put the second one on the end as number 49. I’ve also tried to identify who suggested what.

Tahir:
Manipulation of digital contents (digital photos etc.)
2. Zooming
3. Drag / Drop
4. MT usage in educational system (educational games)
5. Collaborative work in offices, meeting halls, exhibitions

Donovan:
Hand-eye coordination (ie. disabilities, sport, etc)

Fox0ne:
Multi-touch turntable for DJing (like number 1 but music not photos and more defined as an activity/application)
8. Sterile & Sterilizable computer interface/display for medical use (even in surgical bays), ability to manipulate all digital info on patient be it files or test results (MRI, x-ray, etc)
9. Food friendly surface for use in restaurants as interactive tables/menus/Nutrition information/bill&payment system
10. Interactive gaming surface (not educational, just for fun and family) My game ideas include:

* Multitouch flight simulator Cockpit Controls, a panel that is easily redefined for the air plane being flown, ie: integration into x-plane. Even a co-pilot can activate switches.
* A really, really neat pool game (using DI, fidicuals and ‘pool cues’ on a virtual pool table) - or virtual air hockey.
* I envision a multitouch poker table with virtual cards and chips. (a cupping motion of the hand over the ‘cards’ allow them to be revealed to the player - yet his hand blocks other players views.)
* An extension to existing miniature games using fidicuals & DI, dynamic scenery and position tracking. So a gameboard that can change it’s appearance and be aware of the identities and locations of the playing pieces. I’m thinking Warhammer 40k but it could be Risk or pretty much any board game.

Tahir:
Analog+digital circuit design, verification, validation, testing ....

Hakon:
Drawing
Digital mixing table (Sound)

Fox0ne:
Oddly enough - Clothing design. With the right interface you could 3 dimensionally clothe and tailor virtual fabric for a ‘model’ then have the table display the patterns for cutting the fabric to create the design in real life. The design table is the pattern book for the designer. I think that would be an intuitive way to integrate high tech with an industry like fashion.

Deej:
A multi touch digital drafting table (CAD) for architectural use… combining manipulation of “digital” drafting tools using hand / gestures and physical objects like stylus / pencil to draft / draw.

Nuiman:
A star Browser… A tool that lets us explore the known universe

Tahir:
NASA space adventure simulations (for teaching purposes in schools, colleges, universities etc.)

Roftlol(new)
Statistics, changing variables in equations using sliders to change the result
19. *edit* Editing and mixing music like a DJ (really: because it is cool)
20. Black Jack and other card games

Black09:
Interactive maps like kiosks for travelers new to cities
22. Faster video editing, you could have a film strip that shows shot footage with each frame side by side, then you could edit or re-arrange by touch
23. The coolest web browsing you’ve ever seen
24. Real Estate Blueprint re-arranging software for like floor plans and the like
25. Paper replacement if all documents become digital, they will replace paper and save tons of trees, while still allowing hand written msgs
26. Medical Training tool for practicing on virtual patients
27. Air Traffic controlling instead of typing in coordinates you could touch the plane’s icon and drag it to the area you want and a program could upload that data to that plane real-time
28. Simple and rapid file transfers, if you want me to be more specific on this one please visit my post under introductions, for it is part of that OS I’m after.

Jarno:
29. Interactive quickshare applications (for instance in schools where you want to show some data from your mobile or laptop to a large group of people)
30. Common cd/dvd player replacement. (You only have to put the cd/dvd on top, the numbers or scenes appear and you can select them, switch them etc by touch.)

Kamelisko:
31. Drag-and-drop programming interface - developed from mind-mapping. Objects are objects to drag and manipulate ect. Commands are dragged to its place and all connections between functions and objects are updated automatically
32. Mind mapping software for multiple users - this have been one of the first applications I have seen on videos.
33. As living room table the MT-table could act as a remote control, DVD-player and digital jukebox, interface for internet and downloable music ect - basically replace home computer as most of consumers use it. - This includes many single application ideas tough…

Scape:
34. Educational use: note writing, object manipulation (words, graphics) to build sentences, word/letter tracing, presenting
35. Extended paint applications/uses (brush identifications/types, finger painting rasberry)
36. Dynamic music interfaces (virtual piano/[insert culture] stringed instruments/drums, etc...)
interactive desktop, i forget the name of that object oriented desktop software...anyone?

Fox0ne:
38. StarShip Control Panels - NCC-1701 yep - multi touch control panels for Data and Wesley to use when flying the starship, in fact Star Trek is all about the multi-touch with every display interactive. Things like dynamically reroutable powerconduits, computer circuits, plasma flow, all managed from the touch panel. However this could be useful in orbit where space is limited , orientation subjective and the technology complex (requiring lots of different control interfaces).

Ballentine:
39. Web page design
40. Document editing
41. Computer art (web comics, backgrounds, etc.)
42. Artificial intelligence interface
43. Storm simulations

Jiang:
44. Military real-time command and strategy making.
45. RTS games User interface.

Robin:
46. Interactive Audio/Visual Artwork. (My current project uses a MT interface to facilitate engagement with an interactive Cellular Automata - videos and documentation coming soon (as soon as I get my work handed in!)).

Ruly:
Multiple table in one computer framework. so the internet bar or office didn’t need a lot of computer for their staff/worker.  using converter USB to Monitor by “displaylink”. and if touchlib can detect more camera with very fast and stable touch event. i think it’s very doable right now.

Scape:
Rebirth of boardgames

Black09:
Commercial interactive displays

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-09
Total Posts:  137

well that was nice of you smile thx! perhaps something structured like this can land in the wiki? we hardly ever use that thing :\

Signature 

my weblog
peepfair.com, slowly being developed, please use freely

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

50- Math - interacting with clocks, manipulating objects for counting / sorting
51- Modeling scenarios - cars, clay modeling, CAD, 3-D animation
52- Practicing music where two or more notes need to be played at the same time to form a chord - guitar, piano, trumpet, etc. A person could practice the notes on a trumpet without having to put one to their lips. Heck, a 5” - 8” screen would be perfect for this. Think about holding an OQO in your right hand, with the three keys on the trumpet displaying, and being able to practice some music.
53- Writing music and then wanting to test it out quickly on the screen with your fingers.
54- Game playing with two people - play dough type of games for younger kids would be awesome. Take two fingers across the screen to form a string, then twist it with two fingers. Imagine the things kids could build. What about Legos - grabbing two or more pieces and putting them together, then manipulating them with your fingers. Picking up a bunch of Legos with your hand and moving them to another spot.
55- Geography - manipulating maps . Imagine putting your hands on a map, then pulling your hands a part like you are digging in to the picture to see more depth of what is underneath- multiple pressure points could allow that.
56- Science: grabbing several types of digitized chemicals with different fingers and joining them together to make something or form a different substance.
57- Painting - mixing colors from two or three different palettes
58- Imagine multi-touch that sensed torque, leverage, etc, from multiple points, and the kind of learning scenarios that would encourage around physics
59- What about engineering possibilities- roads, buildings, etc where moving things with multiple fingers, or activating pressure points on objects caused events to happen to test fault tolerances.
60- What about role playing for insurance - reenacting accidents with cars ( manipulating two cars with fingers on different hands ).
61- What about cartoon manipulation for artists
62- What about mirroring a common action for paper note-takers: you are inking a note in Journal or InkSeine, when you decide that you hate the idea that you’ve been working on. You take your hand and scrunch up the piece of “paper” in to a ball and throw it away. That brings the experience of note-taking even closer to mirroring real life, thanks to multi-touch.

Signature 

~

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  2

My first post. I hope it adds value.

Not sure about the numbering, if we include the last post I think the next one is 63?

63. Drinking Games. Just a few, I sure you can all think of many. (obviously would have to be water tight!)
a) Drinking Draughts (Speed) interactive game would know when pieces have moved, timer will count down for next move to be made…
b) Slammers/Downing competitions. Program would be able to time from when drink is lifted to being put back down.
c) Boat Race. same as above but for multiple users
d) 100 Minute Club. Programs monitors players cups for cheating. Nice big counter in the middle. 

64. Interactive Twister!!! Would have to be an installation rather than table!

65. Children’s Street Map. To brum your cars around the coffee table. Map could interact with the child’s car with other traffic.

On a more serious note.
65. CCTV Monitoring. With the use of IP cameras and a plan view of your property. Touch camera to open video window, then use zoom, rotate and move to adjust your layout.

I am planning to develop this CCTV app, will keep you updated.

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-29

I’m pretty sure you got the numbering correct, I counted 13 items in the post above yours, so items 50-62 inclusive.

Numbers certainly make it easier for everybody, thanks for your addition.

Posted: 05 June 2008 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-14
Total Posts:  1

66. A museum/zoo display, with different items you can iteract with. i.e. Animals, dinosaurus, ancient items...... smile

Posted: 10 June 2008 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-10

67 : Use like regular table. Put some vegetables time-to-time, use for cooking, put keys, all that books.
Well to keep screen not useless: Show under vegetables their condition, chemical state. When cook cake on it you can see some order, it could track the inventory of the items that you bring home just putting them on the desk.
68 : You can live messages to your wife on the table while she sleeping, and afterward when she will drink coffee on that table, it will show the messages.
69 : When We de assemble next device (to look what is inside) we every time loose a screws. The touchscreen can mark our small pieces, and show manual for this item, when you put some part on table it identify it and attach to manual.

Posted: 14 June 2008 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-14

Hey every1 I m a new member and I dispalyed this screen at my degree show exhibition to let people experience multitouch. What I observed is it can be used to build an application for elderly, children and disabled people which are useful for them in their daily routine...........and since it is very low cost this can be used in goverment schools to educate small children........because I observed that even a kid who has not seen computer used it very comfortably and learned it quickly.

Posted: 15 June 2008 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-07
Total Posts:  9

70. : A new way to play some kick butt computer games

2 of 5