2012 and we’re still not there yet
Posted: 23 January 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15
Total Posts:  19

Hello there,

I’ve been reading through the projects and discussions and it looks like I will be going the route of using an LCD panel and creating a table to use with it, but as always many questions remain.

What I am most interested in knowing is the cost / benefit ratio of doing everything myself or having pre-built items for some aspects of my ideas.

I have seen touch enabled frames for displays, but in most cases they are prohibitive cost wise when going past the two touch option.

Then again, creating a IR lined frame, properly installing overlays, and regulating proper light filtration is something I have no experience with.

Would a rear DSI with a LCD make sense?

Posted: 24 January 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

As it has been the past few years, the more stable systems typically cost more money.  If you can control the lighting conditions then a camera-based setup is definitely feasible, but if you need a setup that will work in changing lighting conditions, especially ambient sunlight, you have to spend more money for the higher-end technologies.

With that said, I prefer DSI setups mainly when using a camera because you can use an LCD and still get fiducial pattern recognition.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 29 January 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-21
Total Posts:  5

why would you prefer camera based system over a good LCD monitor that supports touch? I would think the LCD would be better only because it would be faster to build out. I guess the cost would be a huge factor tho?

Posted: 19 February 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-09
Total Posts:  53

With a 32” multitouch LCD the cost will be prohibitive!
And we’re not talking about higher dimensions!
The future is multitouch screens I think, but for now our project are less costly with those kind of hack.
That’s just my point of view wink

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-21
Total Posts:  5

Yea I agree, Looks like this touch foil stuff could be useful and more like what we may see on large screen installs.
http://www.visualplanet.biz/get-interactive/zoom-and-pinch.php