Multitouch : Question on Selecting hardware and software for multi-touch application
Posted: 31 January 2012 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-30
Total Posts:  5

I am trying to build an internet connected touch based device using which users can do minor editing and upload photographs to web. The device will capture photographs using a USB based camera.

The question i have is where to find hardware for this custom requirement, i am looking for a touch screen around 24 inches in size.

Can any one recommend a reliable hardware vendor who supplies LCD/Capacitive based touchscreen.

I also thought to wait till launch of Windows 8, because it is built to support multi touch. I believe during launch of Win8 lot of hardware vendors will sell multi touch lcd monitors, which i can use.

If anyone can provide directions on this it will be a great help.

P.S > I am open to develop on any platform.

Posted: 31 January 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

We sell capacitive screens on our site here.  Mostly we sell the larger 32"+ screens, but 3M sells smaller ones as well. They work with the TUIO protocol and Windows Touch so you can develop in many different languages.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 01 February 2012 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-30
Total Posts:  5

@PeauProductions : Thanks for your response, Are there any videos to see this device in action. Do you know what is the most preferred platform (OS, Software) for developing on this device?

Posted: 01 February 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

There are many videos on our site on the particular item being used, especially on the 3M screens.  It works just like a giant touchscreen phone or tablet in terms of responsiveness.  Each item says what OS they support, with all of them supporting Windows.  They work with any software that accepts the TUIO and Windows Touch communications.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc