Australia - Correct Glass Surface? 
Posted: 01 February 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27
Total Posts:  81

We’re working towards building a Rear DI touch table, and we’re not sure what type of frosted toughened glass we’d like to go with.

Would the thickness interfere with it’s ability to create blobs or see fidicuals, and what not.

Any Aussies here who’ve built such a table using glass? what did you use/get?

Signature 

iTrooper

ATTENTION AUSTRALIANS: Please visit this post and report in, We’re trying to gather up ALL the NUI members/users of Australia for friendship and collaboration.

Posted: 01 February 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27
Total Posts:  20
iTrooper - 01 February 2012 08:02 PM

We’re working towards building a Rear DI touch table, and we’re not sure what type of frosted toughened glass we’d like to go with.

Would the thickness interfere with it’s ability to create blobs or see fidicuals, and what not.

Any Aussies here who’ve built such a table using glass? what did you use/get?

amm I was experimenting with frosted plexiglass. And the picture quality was not good at all.
I dont think the frosted glass will be better…

Posted: 01 February 2012 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27

So what did you end up doing in the end?

Signature 

iTrooper

ATTENTION AUSTRALIANS: Please visit this post and report in, We’re trying to gather up ALL the NUI members/users of Australia for friendship and collaboration.

Posted: 01 February 2012 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27
iTrooper - 01 February 2012 11:20 PM

So what did you end up doing in the end?

-----------6mm transparent plexiglass ($120 850mm x 1060mm)
-----------drafting film (it gives the best picture for it price ($12.90 850mm x 1060mm))

Posted: 01 February 2012 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27

The problem with Plexiglass is it can be scratched, unless you went with a scratch-proof type.

What we’re trying to do is build a portable table, and it would be used as a kiosk, so it would be taken places/events, so we’d need the surface to be a bit tougher against the human hordes.

Was there anything you did with the drafting film? Glue it, silicon it? etc…

Signature 

iTrooper

Posted: 02 February 2012 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-14
Total Posts:  12
iTrooper - 01 February 2012 11:26 PM

The problem with Plexiglass is it can be scratched, unless you went with a scratch-proof type.

What we’re trying to do is build a portable table, and it would be used as a kiosk, so it would be taken places/events, so we’d need the surface to be a bit tougher against the human hordes.

Was there anything you did with the drafting film? Glue it, silicon it? etc…

If you glue the drafting film to the plexiglas the IR light will reflect from the glued drafting film and you will have extremely low sensitivity in the middle of the screen and extremely high close to IR LEDs. (Do not do that, You will destroy the plexiglass. I did it and It cost me 120 dollars to get a new one.)

I used an aluminum stripes at the conners. Have a look on my youtube video. ))

Posted: 02 February 2012 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27

I used a piece frosted glass from a computer table that was in the garage (we share with our neighbour), it projected an image on the frosted side reasonably well more or less.

The issue would be working out where the IR lights would go and etc…

Our Carpenter friend worked out this portable design for us. (And remember, it’s not a precise drawing of where everything would be, only a “Visualisation”, it drives me nuts when people start nitpicking a rough draft.)

View from Above (TOP)
Table-TopView-Setup.png
Table-TopView.png

And something a bit less draftish looking.
Table-FrontView.png

Signature 

iTrooper

Posted: 02 February 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15
Total Posts:  418

Be careful with tempered glass. Some varieties block IR rather significantly. 

My suggestion would be to get a sample of the glass type your looking to use.  If you have a local vendor, see if they have a cut-off from another project they can give you to test with or sell to you for cheap.

Signature 

Personal MT Blog
Mesa Mundi Inc. and Online Store

Posted: 02 February 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27

Yeah I’m a bit paranoid about tempered glass for other reasons, specifically that it can shatter into little bite size pieces, and if we’re at some public event, one of those pieces will end up in someone’s eye.

Signature 

iTrooper

Posted: 03 February 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

If you are using temperred glass go with IR 900nm and above other wise you may face problems

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 06 February 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated
Taha - 03 February 2012 03:01 AM

If you are using temperred glass go with IR 900nm and above other wise you may face problems

What’s the reason for needing a higher nm wavelength of light Taha?  I always thought using any glass wasn’t a good idea since the iron in it blocks the light (making blobs less bright). Can’t remember where I heard his, but I’m sure it was around the forum somewhere here.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 14 February 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-27

So, any progress in this project?