Fisheye undistortion
Posted: 13 February 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-30
Total Posts:  39

I have a setup with two 1/3” ccds with 2.3mm fish eye lenses.
Naturaly i do get a lot of distortion from the lenses. I read the table would not work to well with fiducials when the images are distorted and also it seems to be nasty to align the two camera streams. So i started working on a undistortion routine that detects the distortion and maps the image back to the resolution of the projector.
I attached some early results. Is there some easier way to do this?

Image Attachments
beidecams.PNGcorrected.PNG

Posted: 13 February 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31
Total Posts:  14

Hi,
I like the idea of undistort the camera image. But what camera do you use? I think that if you do this with a PS3 cam @ 320*480 you won’t get a high resolution in the corners. And another question: Why do you need to detect the distortion? Isn’t the distortion fixed and calculatebale?

Posted: 13 February 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-30

Im using UI-1220LE from IDs imaging, the resolution gets lower in the corners but with my setup i dont realy have alternatives out of investing lots of money into undistorted lenses.
I did not find good informations about undistorting fish eye lenses, most undistortion algorithms i found dont work with fisheye so i decided to got this way, but the reason i was asking for easier ways was the same question - is there an easier way.

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-30

I made quite some progress with the algorithm and am pretty happy with it.