WIIMOTE usage in FTIR Table/Computer?
Posted: 17 February 2008 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-16
Total Posts:  16

In the minority report like video they have the wiimote on top of the tv, does anyone know how to link the wiimote to a computer. This could make FTIR tables much more easier to make an more than likely won’t bog down a computers processing power

Posted: 17 February 2008 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-20
Total Posts:  71

From what I understand the wiimote is connected to a computer via bluetooth. It is a good alternative but it has its downsides. The wiimote (at this point in time) can only track up to 4 points or blobs. It is an option though.

O’Malley

Signature 

How to: Wire LEDs

Posted: 19 February 2008 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-27
Total Posts:  45

A/ first u buy a bluetooth key which has “BlueSoleil” drivers (this is very important, it might work without). I recommand this one : s5001926.jpg
B/ then, u buy a wiimote (with a nunchuk if you want)

1/ u install the usb BT key, then u launch the software.
2/ u push the big orange bouton to start BT network scan.
3/ u push the 1 and 2 buttons on the wiimote to launch the BT scan too.
4/ u doubleclick on the wiimote device which gonna connect it to your computer.
5/ then u have to activate the HID device. For that, just click on the little mouse which is highlighted as an available device.
6/ that’s it. now u have many choices :

- Use WiinRemote to do firsts experiments (this soft is really a newbie stuff)
- Use GlovePIE to bind keys and actions to your wiimote
- Use the Johnny Lee softwares
- Use the AS3 framework named “WiiFlash” and code your own soft

I’m gonna release soon a little patch for WiiFlash is coded myself. It’s just 2 objects which use the basics of WiiFlash and deals with 2 Hands navigation system : IR, and pads. I’m still making click recognition but firsts experiments works great wink

Have fun

Posted: 19 February 2008 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-16
Total Posts:  16

thanks for the guide, im going to try that

Posted: 20 February 2008 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-01
Total Posts:  30

I recently added a mousdriver that I coded off of glovepie, its a useful program if you are going to use the wiimote.  I am not trying to post this video in too many threads, but check out the flash integration at around 3:25

Posted: 24 February 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20
Total Posts:  1

yes glovepie is what I used for all my wiimote parsing as well
I didnt use bluesoliel though, i used an iogear stack

Signature 

Brandon Epperson
no brand research

Posted: 05 July 2008 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-03
Total Posts:  20

Some of the wiimote things for the computer are pretty cool, I figured out how to use mine as a mouse for the computer (point and click).

Signature 

 iTrent 

Blog: http://buildingmultitouch.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 October 2008 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-11
Total Posts:  8

WiiMote Confusion from a n00b:

So, all this hype about the wiimote is because it has the IR camera in the front, which can be accessed over bluetooth, right? So, why do you need to buy a $30 wiimote when you can just mod a webcam to see only IR light? I don’t understand what makes the wiimote so special.

Posted: 12 October 2008 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

You said it already! wink

A wireless (bluetooth) IR camera (1024x768 with bandpass lens) + built-in accelerometer + 4x IR Blob tracker. Just run a script in GlovePie and you have a touch application ready-to-go.

It’s a very good all-in-one camera/tracker/motion sensor for $30! tongue wink

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 26 October 2008 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-26
Total Posts:  26

What is limiting the wiimote to 4 points?  I mean if a webcam can do it, then wiimote which HAS a camera should be able to do it, I think this is somehow encoded in its chip or something for which there should be a hack. But really what makes it so that wiimote only sees 4 points? A camera sees whatever it sees so wiimote should be able to too?

Posted: 29 April 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-29
Total Posts:  1

hi.. Newbie here smile

can anyone tell me if they have software available to access the Wiimotes camera directly.. or is it not possible.. im thinking it is because if you setup your wiimote on the console itself you can see what the camera sees.. if this is posible you should be able to get more than 4 blobs recognised shouldnt u ?

thank you

Posted: 03 May 2009 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-03
Total Posts:  21
mtouch-za - 29 April 2009 04:07 PM

hi.. Newbie here smile

can anyone tell me if they have software available to access the Wiimotes camera directly.. or is it not possible.. im thinking it is because if you setup your wiimote on the console itself you can see what the camera sees.. if this is posible you should be able to get more than 4 blobs recognised shouldnt u ?

thank you

The Wii Remote isn’t programmed (and thus, doesn’t know how) to throw the raw IR camera feed off on the bluetooth.  One thing you need to understand about the Wii and Wii Remote is that while they do use Bluetooth to communicate with each other, the Wii’s implementation of the bluetooth stack is very bare-bones and specialized for their application.  Not that it’s easy to do remote camera feeds over bluetooth anyway - bluetooth wasn’t originally designed to replace (or even implement) wireless camera protocols.

That’s the reason why the Wii remote only supports tracking of no more than 4 IR blobs - that’s what the bluetooth interface provides.  It abstracts the camera away, and only provides the X/Y/Intensity values of 4 blobs through the bluetooth interface.  The Wii Remote sends the blob data over the bluetooth, the Wii responds by translating the blob data into the cursor’s position.  The Wii doesn’t even realize that the data came from an IR camera, it just needs the blobs.

The only way to “access the camera directly” would be to destroy the Wii remote by physically removing the camera assembly, and programming a micro-controller to talk to it.  It would take a lot of research on the specific camera parts (specs, how to program it, etc), and assembly programming experience for the micro-controller you decide upon.

Years ago, I took an Assembly programming language class - one of the hardest classes I ever took.  Our final project was to program an Atmel micro-controller to talk to an IR sensor capable of range finding (useful for a robot that needs to see how far away it is from objects in the vicinity, among other things).  The data the sensor provided was fairly one-dimensional, so the process was fairly straight-forward.  Reading a Camera’s CCD isn’t so straight-forward, since there’s exponentially more data to have to go through.  Ideally, you’d need a pretty powerful GPU capable of reading over the 2-dimensional image the camera would provide, since a GPU is a little more specialized than a CPU when it comes to parallel operations - a CPU would have to apply a function to every element, one at a time, in the grid that a CCD provides - a GPU would be able to blast the same function at a grid of data all at once.

Posted: 14 May 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-03
Total Posts:  21

Another simple analogy.

The Wii remote is programed to respond to a few specific questions that the Wii asks of it (Where are the blobs?  What’s the accelerometer detecting?  What buttons are being held down?) .  You can’t just “ask a new question” ("Where is a fifth blob?” for example) because the Wii remote won’t know how to answer it.  You can’t re-program the Wii remote (not easily - I don’t know of any chip programmers that work with chips that are already soldered into place) to respond to new questions.

There’s a lot of info about the Wii Remote on http://www.wiili.org

Posted: 05 May 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-03
Total Posts:  30

hi ynk,
could you help me that how i make multitouch with wiimote…

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/palprabhakar