Blobs Detection help - DSI setup
Posted: 19 May 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-10
Total Posts:  154

Hey everyone,

I have all my table almost setup correctly but trying to get good blobs is putting me crazy.
After some testing I’ve decided that probably the only way to fix the problem is to use more than one camera, but I want your opinion.

The problem I’m facing is:

In the middle of the screen perfect blobs, even thought it detects blobs when I’m almost touching the screen like 5mm maybe. But if I put the settings of ccv to don’t detect that way I won’t get good blobs when I touch it.

In the corners the blobs get hard to pick, I’m using a led strip 5m all around the endlighten, so in the corners where the light is stronger the blobs are weaker.

If you agree with me, that I need to put one more camera since it is 50” the screen, a bit large to capture with only one camera, I would like to know what other cameras I could use to get better results then the ps3eye but the price between 10€ and 60€.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE 1:

- I’m using the 4.3mm lens m12 mount. And I stil get that issue (worst tracking) in the corners and sides of the table where the light goes in.

Posted: 20 May 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-12
Total Posts:  31

It sounds like, from what you’re describing that you’re probably using a fish-eye lens to be able to see the entire 50” surface. This would explain your sensitivity towards the center of the screen and lack of sensitivity in the corners. If you’re looking for even coverage over the entire surface you’ll either need to employ multiple cams or a single cam with a zero-distortion lens.

Posted: 20 May 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Exactly what i(make)tuchmyslf said.  The IR light is being shifted in wavelength at the edges of your screen/lens and thus CCV is not able to detect it since your band pass filter is not passing the shifted light.  Solution: add more cameras (identical to what you have or 2+ new ones) or get a non-distorted wide angle lens (of which we sell in our store if you’re interested).

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-10
Total Posts:  154
PeauProductions - 20 May 2012 10:25 PM

Exactly what i(make)tuchmyslf said.  The IR light is being shifted in wavelength at the edges of your screen/lens and thus CCV is not able to detect it since your band pass filter is not passing the shifted light.  Solution: add more cameras (identical to what you have or 2+ new ones) or get a non-distorted wide angle lens (of which we sell in our store if you’re interested).

What lenses can I use then?

Note: Even with the camera pointing the center to the sides and corners of the table it doesnt detect that
Good as in the center of the table (not the center of the camera) and it detects too much, when I put my finger it detects also the closests areas of my hand without including my finger.

Posted: 21 May 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Use our lens calculator for the PS Eye here:

http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/12777/

You need to know your image size and distance from camera to image.  If using multiple cameras, just divide up the image area accordingly.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc