Windows 8 Drivers
Posted: 19 June 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25
Total Posts:  4

Hi, I am making a multitouch table, and i cant seem to get any PSĀ£ eye camera drivers working in Windows 8 Release Preview.

Does anybody know which drivers for CCV and PS3 Eye work best?

Thanks
Nathan

Posted: 21 June 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-20
Total Posts:  27

I dont believe CCV has any support for windows 8 yet. This is what I heard from someone involved in CCV development atleast

Signature 

This is good… isn’t it?

Posted: 21 June 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26
Total Posts:  12

From what I’ve found in my own experience and what other people have said in another thread, CCV has no problems with Windows 8, but the current PS3 eye drivers don’t like it and they will crash anything that attempts to use the cameras.

Some older versions of the driver do work though. CCV 1.4 uses and includes an older PS3 eye driver that doesn’t crash. It also supports using 2 cameras at once. I’m using this for now until new drivers are released.

Signature 

My Adventures Building an LCD DSI Table

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-05
Total Posts:  13

I have been able to get CCV going with Windows 8 Release Preview.

My system is based on an Intel Core2 Duo E6750 with 4GB of ram and I am using two PS3 cameras.

Here’s the details of my install:

Installed Windows 8 Release Preview (32bit)
(Installed “CL Eye Platform SDK” (1.3.0.1205) from Code Laboratories.  This didn’t work so I uninstalled it.  I mention it here only because part of it’s install added .Net 3.5 to my system.  I don’t know if that is important though)
Installed “CL Eye Platform Driver” (5.1.1.0177) from Code Laboratories.
(Installed CCV 1.5.0.0 but once again this didn’t work so uninstalled it.  This too installed extras, I think VS C++ 2005 and VS C++ 2008 redistributables.)
Unzipped CCV 1.4.0.0.
Found msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll online somewhere and placed them in the CCV 1.4 directory.
Ran CCV 1.4 “As Administrator”
Setup CCV 1.4, calibrated it and saved the settings.

Running CCV in mini mode I get 61 fps.

So far so good.  This is where I get stuck tough.  I have tried getting both BSQSimulator and MultiTouchVista going and can get neither of them going.  Both seems to install their drivers correctly but BSQSimulator complains about them not being there and MultiTouchVista seems to sit there doing nothing.  Has anyone been able to get either of these two (or any other for that matter) going?  It is very likely that I’m not setting up either of these correctly, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick Barrett

Posted: 29 July 2012 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
Total Posts:  135

hey,
I plan to update my parents couchtable to W8RP next week, so if you get it working, I’d be really happy to get some hints^
I’ve never used BSQSimulator (back when I built the table, MTV was the only ‘state of the art’ software available..) but I consider to move away from MTV if BSQSimulator might be more performant and reliable - do you have experience with it? How difficult is it to run it as a background service?
cheers,
~theCake

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 04 August 2012 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

Surprisingly it took only one day to get it working =D
Thank to Nick Barret for the CL-Eye/CCV instructions!
I can confirm that BSQ Simulator does not work, but I was able to set up MultiTouchVista.
Wrap up: Cl Eye Driver 5.1.1.0177 + CCV 1.4.0 + MultiTouchVista (as a service) -> pretty much a standard combination
On my blog you can find a detailed walkthrough: http://blog.mosthege.net/2012/08/04/ccv-mtv-on-windows-8-release-preview/
cheers,
~theCake

(PS: Windows 8 RP on a 25” touch surface is really awesome!)

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 05 August 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-05

Dude, you’re awesome!  Thanks theCake.  The documentation on your blog looks very thorough.  I’m looking forward to giving it a go this evening.

Cheers,

Nick Barrett

Posted: 05 August 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

I’m not 100% pleased with my results though - as usual CCV does not perform how I want it to (start in mini mode..) and MTV is showing it’s regular bugs as well. The MTV service won’t autostart either..
But today I found this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/Hh802898(v=vs.85).aspx
In Windows 8 they made an API called ‘Touch Injection’, which is available to desktop C++ applications.
Tomorrow I’ll try to write an app that does TUIO=>WM_TOUCH using this API, hopefully rendering MTV redundant.
This will be my first C++ app, so wish me luck =P

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 05 August 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-05

Good luck wink

I had a quick look at the API.  It looks very promising.  Unfortunately my un-managed coding skills are with Delphi not C++ so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to help much.  That said, I’m willing to help where I can.

Cheers,

Nick Barrett

Posted: 06 August 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

Progress report:
I was coding with the TouchInjection API all the day and I think it is what we always wanted in terms of WM_TOUCH.
Within a few hours I was able to combine a TUIO sample from reactivision with the TouchInjection sample from MSDN. After some trouble with the screen edges I’m now able to singletouch and open the charms. My code checks the screen resolution every second to respond to changes. (This is something I was always missing with MTV, as I got the TV attached as a second screen. I found my application to be very stable, fast and healthy in this matter =)

In the MSDN forum I found a thread where they tried to use the API in C#. It seems they were successful, but I wasn’t so far.
As my C++ skills are very ‘limited’ (I even failed to create a new project, instead of modifying the existing TUIO sample..) I’ll have a further look into the C# approach. I mailed one of the guys in the thread some questions..

TouchInjection cheat sheet
* only make one InjectTouchInput call per frame, otherwise multitouch won’t work -> you have to cache the incoming TUIO Information and send them in the |refresh| method. Don’t ask me how…
* use tcur->getScreenX(screenWidth) to scale the value to the screen. Don’t do it yourself, or the charms/edges won’t work
* (I think) there’s a bug with the OnScreenKeyboard - it does not respond to touches (I asked in the MSDN forums)

have a nice evening everybody^
~theCake

EDIT: I got the TouchInjection API working in a C#/WPF application. The next step will be to mix it with a C# TUIO client…
EDIT: The WPF TUIO client works as well 8)

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

Done!
TouchInjector for Windows 8 is up and running. Please refer to this thread.

Signature 

Twitter Blog