Make CCV send TUIO v2.0 messages or blobs shape (contour) data
Posted: 02 December 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26
Total Posts:  2

I am developing an app for interactive floor installation. And I need information about contact shape, specifically the contour of blob - so I could make shape based interactions.
For example if man moves his legs or hands forward, then blob-shape in ccv changes and I need to know about what is the shape exactly is to implement it in my app.

TUIO includes data I need, but only in 2.0 specs. And CCV 1.5 sends only 1.0 or 1.1 TUIO messages. So how can I extend it without deep knowledge in c++.
A am going to use Unity3D and uniTUIO plugin to receive the TUIO msgs.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 04 December 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-28
Total Posts:  11

Hi AkhmadMax—I’m looking at the same question (and incidentally also using Unity). If there’s no existing solution, it seems like I may have to hack on CCV code to support 2.0… Will see who else responds on this thread.

(Meanwhile, I’m curious—do you have any experience comparison uniTUIO versus Mindstorm’s Unity3d-tuio library? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two libraries?)

Posted: 05 December 2012 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26
Total Posts:  2

I managed to implement sending “width” and “height” of the blob through TUIO messages and receive it in Unity. But anyway it is not enough.
The other way i see is to integrate OpenCV library into Unity and do all the processing there. Like FindContours, Tracking and other OpenCV stuff.

@ghopper21 I think Mindstorm’s library is less complicated than uniTUIO and have more pros. But I don’t know if I could to make NGUI to work with Mindstorm’s. uniTUIO with some changes works with NGUI very well.

--
Akhmad

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-28
Total Posts:  11

Yes, I agree, Mindstorms’ code is cleaner and simpler. Using just the lower-level OSC and TUIO message parsing, I’ve hooked it up with Finger Gestures, a popular gesture library from the Unity asset store.

On the question of getting contours, it seems to me it would be quicker and more modular to keep that in CCV and just adapt it to give TUIO 2.0 output. Doesn’t CCV already have the contour data of blob? You can see contours drawn on the left camera view. They just aren’t being output at TUIO.