Where to get Silicone Sheeting in UK
Posted: 18 February 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
Total Posts:  9

Hi,

I have a FTIR setup which ony needs a suitable comliant layer.  Have had no success with Tinkermans method so trying Silicone sheet instead.

I have ordered some of the 0.03mm translucent silicone rubber sheet from Polymax which arrived today, unfortunately this failed completely to produce any kind of blob.

Found that Dycem transparent sheet does stick and produces amazing blobs but unfortunately it does not unstick :(

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK which sells clear silicone sheet which can be used as was mentioned in http://nuigroup.com/forums/member/18528/# by EricR??

Thanks.

Posted: 28 April 2015 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-08
Total Posts:  69

i think the problem i always had with the sheet was that the blob itself wouldnt dissapear when i let go.  is this the problem you had with the dycem? i tried a layer of cling film on the projection side but lost blobs completely.

Posted: 03 May 2015 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
Total Posts:  9

yes thats the issue I had—never solved it despite trying various types of Dycem.  In the end I scrapped the table as I just could not get it to work—perhaps will try again another year on a smaller scale.  I probably made a mistake with having my perspex too thick as well (12mm rather than 8 mm).