Announcing Project-Surface
Posted: 04 March 2013 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-02
Total Posts:  4

Hopefully I can post this, as I have only just joined.

As part of our Innovation Days at work, I have created my own Windows 8 based Surface/PixelSense setup and written an Arduino based TUIO to USB Touch HID device.

For more details, you can take a look at :
http://project-surface.googlecode.com

I’ve only just created the site as part of this quarter’s Innovation Days, so it’s going to be a bit raw for a while, but hopefully people will be interested in it…

Thanks to Citrix for allowing me to do this, to Dean for the LUFA Project and of course last but not least, to this site for CCV and the inspiration to create this in the first place!

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-19
Total Posts:  148

So you are hooking a camera to the arduino and running ccv off the arduino, or it is just processing the tuio out into touch on the arduino? Is the benefit that you are taking processing off the computer’s cpu?

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-02

If you look at the Overview page, there is a block diagram of what the Arduino is doing.

The Arduino doesn’t have enough power to run CCV, so what it is doing is acting as a TUIO to USB touch device conversion.
So you get a touch device on Windows 8 with TUIO inputs and no need to have any drivers installed on it.
I struggled to find a TUIO touch driver that wasn’t a complete pain to install and didn’t keep falling over when you managed to install it, or just plain wouldn’t work on Win8 release.
The Arduino is USB powered so removes the need for any device driver. Just plug it in the Win8 PC and connect to the network and then send it TUIO packets…

I use CCV on the Mac for the vision processing to TUIO events.

Posted: 04 March 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

So essentially the Arduino is acting as a hardware version of what a TUIO mouse driver like MT Vista does? Interesting

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15
Total Posts:  419

I really like what you’ve done here.  If I’m following your video correctly, you could effectively hook up any system capable of running CCV and use your arduino setup to present valid PixelSense touch events. 

In your video, you show it hooked up to a Windows 8 VM.  I was under the impression that the style of touch presented in Windows 8 was dramatically different than the Win7/PixelSense touch setup.  Certainly I’ve found that I cannot run projects like NUIVerse under Windows 8 without some significant software hackery.

Have you tried any of the standard Surface (SUR40/Surface One) software with your setup?

Signature 

Personal MT Blog
Mesa Mundi Inc. and Online Store

Posted: 05 March 2013 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-02

I have tried it on a Mac and Win 7, but not the surface apps.
The Arduino Touch HID means it shows up as a multi touch (10 inputs) device when you plug it in to USB, so it’s just like a touch screen monitor in that respect.
You do have to do the calibration in CCV though, as the touch screen input calibration didn’t work.