1 of 2
MT4j with Processing 2.0
Posted: 10 April 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
Total Posts:  561
Elite

Hey Guys,

As I see MT4J is based on processing 1.5 and Now processing 2.0 is out.

Therefore I am planning to port MT4j to the latest processing base. Would love to know if someone out there would like to contribute so that we can save some time. (Did anyone try this btw?).

With the integration of Processing 2.0 we can have a faster system with more support for new animations. Would like to know the community input on this.

Signature 

~~Amit~~

Website - Twitter - Facebook

Posted: 17 April 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Total Posts:  332

He Amit,

Long time ago. Yes we are interested to port mt4j to processing 2. Do you have any idea how much code / time / work is involved in this? How many 1.5 code is absolete within mt4j and how much should be fixed?

Rogier

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
47 inch pure design multitouch
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 17 April 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
Total Posts:  561
Elite

Hey Rogier,

I will be starting the work soon. I am trying to contact Therion in the mean time. I will be doing this in my spare time , so no ETA. But want to complete this asap, Because in Processing 2 the pixel level animations get simpler, will be easy to create nice effects. And regarding the obsolete code , mostly the drawing stuff have to be redesigned because in the previous processing OpenGL was a extranl library now it is internal and optimized for processing.

Signature 

~~Amit~~

Website - Twitter - Facebook

Posted: 18 April 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Amit,

Sounds great. When we can give a little hand feel free to contact us and I will see what we can do. But mt4j isn’t updated any more since a long time. Do you know when they release version 1.0 or is that project come to a stop?

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 21 April 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  612
Elite

Hey guys, this really sounds great. I was thinking about doing this myself but I just dont have the time.. So if anybody of you wants to do this - great! I will assists as best as I can, so if you need anything or have questions about something MT4j related - just ask!

I did most of the rendering in MT4j myself using OpenGL, because Processing itself was just too slow. But maybe processing 2.0 is fast enough now? But the most work will be doing changing the render and texture code etc.

Signature 

MT4j - Multi-Touch for Java!

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Maybe a project on a shared svn an idea? So some people can hookin and give the project a helping hand smile
Don’t know what you guys prefer? SOurceforge, github, googlecode or a own. We have a own svn server running at office and I’m willing to make some room for the project.

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 29 April 2013 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Amit did you already made a start with the project!

Signature 

MARS New Creations
My twitter account
Info & Zo - YouTube

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  612
Elite

For attracting contributors, I think a git repository on Github would be best. On the other hand Mt4j is currently on google code as a subversion repository so it will be easier to migrate and work with the current branch. If you want to create a new branch on the google code svn, I can give you the respective rights.

Signature 

MT4j - Multi-Touch for Java!

Posted: 19 June 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-24
Total Posts:  75

Hi, any more thoughts on this?

Bill

Posted: 18 August 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
Total Posts:  39

Any updates here? Where did the repository end up?

Posted: 20 August 2013 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-20
Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I have also been working for one of our projects to update MT4J to be able to use OpenGL 4.0+ and Processing 2.0.

I have made a working version that uses GL2 code instead of the original GL context(I can get the graphics to render, with the exceptions outlined below).

Some of the most important issues I have are the following:
-> text and texture renderings are not working at all(the renderers need to be probably rewritten)
-> there is an issue when enabling and disabling clipping, this gives an exception that I am not using a GL2 implementation..(which I am); the clipping code has been commented out

Further the mouse and keyboard processing 1.0 sketches are invalid. I have corrected the mouse sketch, but haven’t bothered with the keyboard, as the previous problems are of more importance.
If anyone wants to help, please let me know and I can share the code.

Posted: 20 August 2013 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
Total Posts:  39

Thanks for the update (and your hard work)!

I’m only a mediocre programmer, but I’d be happy to help.  I might be able to squash a bug or 2.  Any chance you could post your code to Git? That way you could manage contributions through pull requests.

Posted: 10 October 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-20

Sorry for the late reply. It turns out I cannot share the code as it is as we are using a modified version of MT4J. However, I can mimick the changes on a standard version of MT4J and share that. However, I do not have time to do this right now, so I cannot say when this will happen..

Posted: 05 November 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-05

Avrdan,

thanks for letting us know. I am also very interested in this, because this will probably solve on of our problems that we have. We cannot run MT4j on Mac using Java 7, because of the older JOGL libraries. From what I’ve tried it seems that switching to the newest JOGL version also requires to update Processing.

Would you be able to just give the steps that are required to update MT4j to Processing 2.0 so that we can try that?

Posted: 26 November 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-07
Total Posts:  32

@mschoettle:

The Processing which is included in MT4j is really old (1.1 if the ChangeLog.txt is ok), and, as TherioN said, at that time, it was not totally usable (not fast enough) so he had to develop a lot of OpenGL bypasses… Going from the actual MT4j code to a Processing 2.x involves a complete review of the actual rendering layer.

The other difficulty is that this rendering layer is not clearly separated from the rest of the framework…

@Avrdan:

What are the changes you’ve made ? Please share grin

Posted: 09 December 2013 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-12-08

ola,
just to let you know (and since I came here after googling for other ppls’ attempts) porting it over to processing 2.1 isnt THAT hard, i just did it quick&dirty with a fork of mt4j i did some years ago (add some scala candy + some lower level stuff, hence the fork).
see https://github.com/lodsb/UltraCom/tree/proc2

hope it helps smile

1 of 2