Dynamic Edge LED
Posted: 03 June 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-09
Total Posts:  10

Hello all,

I think I may have run into a problem. I was taking apart my LED TV that I plan to use for a 46” DSI setup when I discovered that my TV is edge lit. I definitely could have looked at the specs before hand and seen this, but now it is done. Is there a way to still use the TV in the setup? If so, then I don’t seem to understand exactly how my layers would look.

I can try and take some photos if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 03 June 2013 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-19
Total Posts:  148

photos would help. I imagine you can still use the lcd matrix. You’d just need to lose the reflector panel behind it and get a back light for it.

Posted: 04 June 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-09
Total Posts:  10

Thank you for your response.

I have attached a couple photos here. I took pictures of the parts I thought were relevant, but let me know if you’d like to see other parts.

One photo shows the whole inside (everything beneath the outer polarized glass). The second photo shows the leds that surround the top and bottom edges, and appear to shine into the top sheet of acrylic (or whatever material that is on the top in the first photo).

What confused me is the white sheet behind the acrylic. Would this be the “reflector panel”? Also, what type of backlight would you recommend for replacement? I have a backlight from a broken 42” LCD that seems to still work, would that be useful for my situation?

Thanks!

Image Attachments
DSC00236.JPGDSC00238.JPG

Posted: 04 June 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

The type of backlight shouldn’t make the TV more or less capable in being used for a camera-based tracking setup.  Most people discard or add additional lights to their backlight setup anyway as distancing it from the LCD matrix diminished its brightness.  To increase the brightness just add some white LEDs and make sure it is all diffused with one or two of the white layers on the backlight currently.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-08
Total Posts:  9

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if I have to remove the white paper behind the acrylic? Camera won’t see through this paper.

Posted: 12 July 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

No, that is the diffuser and you need that. There may be multiple sheets though so you should experiment to see which layers produce the best results.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc