Why the community ignores TUIO 2.0? Discussion appreciated
Posted: 21 August 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-08
Total Posts:  3

As a part of our main project (an interaction layer for interactive environments based on display walls and/or tabletops) we’ve implemented TUIO 2.0 protocol. Currently, we have fully functional implementation in C++ and the Java implementation is on its way (primarily for Android OS). We had to chose TUIO 2.0 due to some features (like timestamps) which are not handled in TUIO 1.x. We also revealed several pitfalls of the proposal which could be improved in the next revision of the protocol. Here is the link: TUIO 2.0 implementation

But...

... it seems to me, that everyone is satisfied with TUIO 1.1, and there is no hunger for TUIO 2. I would like to start the discussion on the reasons for using TUIO 1.1 or not using TUIO 2.

I would be very grateful for any comments on this topic and here are several starting questions:

Why you don’t use/need TUIO 2?
Will you use TUIO 2 if there would be community of users and developpers?
What is the opinion of bussines and/or commercial companies concerning support of TUIO 2 in their products.

Posted: 21 August 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-19
Total Posts:  148

your link throws up security warnings.

Posted: 21 August 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-08

It might be due to missing TERENA certificate (http://www.terena.org) at your browser. The link is pointing at our project page, you can ignore it. The link is not the point of my post at all.
I would really like to know why there is absolutely no response on TUIO 2.

Posted: 21 August 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-19
Total Posts:  148

I didn’t even know there was a tuio 2 or what it’s benefits would be. For simple touch interface, TUIO seems to work just fine. What does tuio 2 do for you?

Posted: 21 August 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-08

I do agree with you, that for simple (multi)touch interface it is an overkill. I also think, that such interfaces will become a part of ubiquitous environments like project and war rooms in near future. As such, there will be need for interconnection and communication between various devices and TUIO 2 could serve that purpose.
TUIO 2 (btw.: http://www.tuio.org/?tuio20) brings many new features which could be utilised mainly in multi-sensor/surface environments. For example, we use timestamps for synchronisation purposes or association messages for connecting two or more independent image blobs which represents e.g. users’ hands.