4 of 4
Build a rear projection multi-touch television. 
Posted: 01 June 2008 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  54

what is the quality of your display, can you read small text on the display or is it blurred/diffused too much by the various layers. Reason I ask is I want to make a display to replace monitor and mouse but still be able to read text like the status bars and browse the net normally. Without having to run the computer in accessibility maginifier mode or something. you understand

Signature 

broken FTIR = behold the power of little brothers. Replacement LLP in the works, scribbles

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04
Total Posts:  85

Hi,
the image will depend on the projector you choose. I run my systeme in 1400x1050 now and I can tell you that with my projector caracters are clear on my 100 inch home theater screen… so on a 56 inch its super sharp!

Thanx
Chris

Signature 

My setup Description
My Website with video reviews of soft! UPDATED!
Sorry for my bad english, Im french!

Posted: 02 December 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi guys!
I’ve been really unlucky those months back, I’ve been rubbed at home, the lightning crash onto my home electric entry and burned many electronic devices. I had big family problem, new job and new girlfriend.....

I have now a lot of time and I will start back with my multi touch hobby and try to help the community again!

Thank
I Have a lot to read now!

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 02 December 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Welcome back Christopher! We’re glad to have you on board again… grin

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 14 December 2008 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-23
Total Posts:  17

Hello Christopher

I have been very impressed by the visual quality of your system. That’s exactly what I would like to build too.

I would like to know what kind of materials you used to build the structure ?

I also wonder if you could explain where are installed your projector and camera inside the structure. How did you calculate angles for projector, mirror(s?), etc. to get the right image size and shape ?

Posted: 16 December 2008 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Hi!

Benge: You should look to my plans I’ve posted them on the first page of this thread and I also made an instructable with it. The material I used is HDF, Its really stable because the wood fibers are not oriented all the same way, so the humidity affect it less (less curving with humidity....) For the mirror, I used the good old fashion way of experimenting, with my projector, some mirrors and a paperboard the size I wanted my screen…

Here some new vids of old stuff…
During my future space time, I want to make videos of soft peoples can use freely and I will post Videos ands links to find the soft on softmt.com ....  I will not host files only redirect people to official page of software so they will be able to find the updated versions. I’m sorry if I put some google adsense onto the page but I’m jobless for now and any money is better than nothing even if its not that much.

My spc900nc is dead so I use a cheaper cam… I will try to buy a better one soon so don’t judge the quality of the input because this cam is really crappy!

Thank a lot!!

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 18 December 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

New vids

Thank again!
Chris

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 23 December 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-17
Total Posts:  1

Hi Christopher, I was wondering, how much time did you spent to create the TV ? Before building one, I’d like to know if it will require several hours to do it.

Great info and thanks for helping everyone here smile

Posted: 25 December 2008 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-07
Total Posts:  108
nicolashoule - 23 December 2008 01:11 PM

Hi Christopher, I was wondering, how much time did you spent to create the TV ? Before building one, I’d like to know if it will require several hours to do it.

Several hours… lol thats a big understatment, this guy Christopher is amazing, i don’t know how he calculated everything out when it comes to all the angles… The plans he posted were unbelivables, but you will seriously want to set aside at least 45 hours to build a similar setup. the insane part is the main screen, but you will also be spending tons of time working on the frame/case as well. There are many aspects of this project that are very complex, for example the 150-160 leds you must wire up and tthe silicon layer.

But when it is all completed it is simply amazing and very versitile. Good luck!!!

Signature 

JUST GETTING BACK TO THE WORLD OF MULTITOUCH!!!! HI ALL

Posted: 07 February 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-06
Total Posts:  6

NICE! That makes me want to do that now! but im not going to, Im planning to build my VERY 1st computer, and im only 14! Almost 15, lol. Keep up the good work!

Signature 

Innovating One Computer At A Time…
http://www.youtube.com/user/WindowsAppleWiz

Posted: 26 February 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-17
Total Posts:  5

Hi guys I’m looking to make up a touch like this and I’m just acquiring some materials now, I’m wondering if its alright to use thinner perspex? I have been given some 5mm thickness pieces and I was wondering if it would work??
I saw that Christopher used 1/2 inch which is over twice as think as the stuff I got…

Thankyou

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-04

Time is not important as long as you have fun!!!! smile

leading the way.... - 25 December 2008 01:34 AM

Several hours… lol thats a big understatment, this guy Christopher is amazing, i don’t know how he calculated everything out when it comes to all the angles… The plans he posted were unbelivables, but you will seriously want to set aside at least 45 hours to build a similar setup. the insane part is the main screen, but you will also be spending tons of time working on the frame/case as well. There are many aspects of this project that are very complex, for example the 150-160 leds you must wire up and tthe silicon layer.

But when it is all completed it is simply amazing and very versitile. Good luck!!!

Signature 

My setup Description

Posted: 06 July 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-06
Total Posts:  2
Christopher - 01 June 2009 10:05 AM

Time is not important as long as you have fun!!!! smile

leading the way.... - 25 December 2008 01:34 AM

Hi Christopher.

I have some questions and I realy can’t find it easy in WEB.
First I’m sorry about my english.. I’m brasilian..

So, I need to develop I flash interface and I would like to know about the diferences between “touch” and “multi-touch”. I know multi-touch you can touch with more then 1 finger, but, if I buy a TV Touch Screen for exemple, I’ll can use this as a “multi-touch”?
Exist a tv only with “touch” and other, only with “multi-touch”?

Thank’s to all!

Posted: 06 April 2010 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-16
Total Posts:  4

Hi Christopher your project is amazing!, i tried to build one a bit bigger and with another shape (same principle as yours, even mirrors, projector and camera) but you know what im getting blobs 1 inch below from where im supposed to get them, i mean my finger, and i think thats the camera because when i align it directly to the screen the blobs are ok. Did you get any problem like this?
thanks

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-30
Total Posts:  7

Hello Christopher, you have done overall a great job and I really admire you for that.

I am new to touch technologies but I have developed some applications using snowflake sdk. I need to test my applications on a touch coffee table that I am going to build.

So I have some questions for you, I would really appriciate it if you could answer them for me smile

Is you setup ambient light resistant or does it need a dark room to operate it?
Your multitouch operates with how many points? I need my table to work with at least 25 points.
Are touch frames better than this setup? If yes why?
Will a 500 lums projector work?

4 of 4