LCD as a Projector
Posted: 21 May 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20
Total Posts:  11

I know people normally use an LCD monitor straight on the screen, but perhaps it could be mounted as a projector with a super-bright LED behind it?

This would be much more cost effective than a projector. Has anyone done this before?

Posted: 21 May 2008 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18
Total Posts:  270

In essence most of the projectors on the market have a small LCD which has a big light behind it. Lumenlabs has tons of tutorials on how to build your own projector from an LCD monitor.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 21 May 2008 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20

That’s why I had the idea in my head…

The problem I have with most of the projectors is how terrible the resolution is for the price.

I’m not sure about the technology in CRT monitors, but perhaps it is possible to sneak a method of multi-touch in one.

EDIT: After further reading. CRT monitors most likely wouldn’t work. That’s probably obvious for most of you.

Posted: 22 May 2008 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-13
Total Posts:  67

You’re right, if you got the chance to recover some items (screen, lenses, LEDs...), it’s a pretty good idea to make your own projector because it makes it very cheap. I have my own DIY projector but based on HQI light (LEDs weren’t powerful enough back then, today it’s ok). When I built mine, the problem was that it’s really hot compared to projectors on the market. An other problem is the amount of light which is higher with commercial projectors, but I know that leds & high power lights have help a lot and now it’s almost the same compared to cheap commercial projectors.

Posted: 22 May 2008 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20

Perhaps placing an LCD on an overhead projector would work?

Posted: 22 May 2008 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-22
Total Posts:  9

I built a projector out of an overhead. I was going to use it for my first table.  the overhead projector actuall cost me only 40$ and 100 for the 15” monitor.  I’d be using it today, but the bulb burned out :(

Anyways, a basic guide that I followed : http://www.instructables.com/id/LCD-Overhead-Projector/

Posted: 23 May 2008 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20

The results look great for the overhead.

Thanks.

Posted: 23 May 2008 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-22
Total Posts:  9

No problem Whitty.  The only thing that can be a bit complicated is your limited to the size of the projection surface, but i you can rezize the working area on the monitor, your set.  ;D