1 of 7
Getting Started With MultiTouch
Posted: 22 May 2008 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

<div style="padding:15px; background-color:#FFA26F; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:0px">
Getting Started With MultiTouch
</div>

Get the most recent information on -> multitouch getting started

<div style="padding:15px; background-color:#FFA26F; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:0px">
Multitouch Techniques
</div>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#EEEEEE; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:0px">

FTIR and DI are the two main technologies used in NUIGroup (Information on alternative techniques will be posted at a later time). Specific Parts (brands, types, etc.) and techniques for completion can be found on the rest of the forum.

<div style="padding:8px; background-color:#BFD6FF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:8px">Frustrated Total Internal Reflection (FTIR):</div>

Infrared light is shined into the side of an acrylic panel (most often by shinning IR LEDs on the sides of the acrylic). The light is trapped inside the acrylic by internal reflection. When a finger touches the acrylic surface this light is “frustrated” causing the light to scatter downwards where it is picked up by an infrared camera.

A silicone rubber layer is often used as a “compliant surface” to help improve dragging and sensitivity of the device. When touching bare acrylic, one must press hard or have oily fingers in order to set off the FTIR effect. With a complaint surface (like silicone rubber) the sensitivity is greatly improved.

<center>shemeftir2yu7.jpg</center>

<center>touchimgds2.jpg</center>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#FFF0DF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:5px">FTIR Parts List:

o Acrylic/Polycarbonate/Plexiglass
o Infrared LEDs (or similar infrared light source)
o Compliant Surface (silicone rubber ie. Sorta Clear 40, Elastosil, Lexel, etc. )
o Projection Surface (Rosco Grey, Vellum, Mylar, other, etc.)
o Infrared Camera/Modified Webcam
</div>

</div>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#EEEEEE; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:0px">
<div style="padding:8px; background-color:#BFD6FF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:8px">Diffused Illumination (DI): </div>

Diffused Illumination comes in two main forms. Front Diffused Illumination and Rear Diffused Illumination. Both techniques use the same basic principles.

Rear DI:

Infrared light is shined at the screen from below the touch surface. A diffuser is placed on top or on bottom of the touch surface.  When an object touches the surface it reflects more light than the diffuser or objects in the background; the extra light is sensed by a camera. Depending on the diffuser, this method can also detect hover and objects placed on the surface.

<center>shemedi2bx3.jpg</center>

<center>difex3.jpg</center>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#FFF0DF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:5px">Rear DI Parts List:

o Clear sturdy clear surface (Glass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglass, etc.)
o Infrared Illuminator (Infrared LEDs, Infrared Illuminator, etc.)
o Diffuser/Projection Surface (Vellum, Mylar, Lee Filter, other, etc.) *Note: The Diffuser/Projection Surface must let some light through.
</div>

Front DI:

Infrared light (often from the ambient surroundings) is shined at the screen from above the touch surface. A diffuser is placed on top or on bottom of the touch surface.  When an object touches the surface, a shadow is created in the position of the object. The camera senses this shadow.

<center>moreforceblobsyc0.jpg</center>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#FFF0DF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:5px">Front DI Parts List:

o Clear sturdy clear surface (Glass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglas, etc.)
o Diffuser/Projection Surface (Vellum, Mylar, Lee Filter, other, etc.) *Note: The Diffuser/Projection Surface must let some light through.

Optional:
o Infrared Illuminator (Infrared LEDs, Infrared Illuminator, etc.)

</div>
</div>

</div>

<div style="padding:8px; background-color:#BFD6FF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:8px">Laser Light Plane (LLP): </div>

Infrared light from a laser(s) is shined just above the surface. The laser plane of light is about 1mm thick and is positioned right above the surface, when the finger just touches it, it will hit the tip of the finger which will register as a IR blob.

<center>HiPressure.jpg</center>

<center>trackingapp2ly7.jpg</center>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#FFF0DF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:5px">LLP Parts List:

o Clear, flat surface (Glass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglass, etc.)
o Infrared Laser(s)
o Line Generating Lens
o Projection Surface
</div>

</div>

</div>

<div style="padding:8px; background-color:#BFD6FF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:8px">Diffused Surface Illumination (DSI): </div>

DSI uses a special acylic to distribute the IR evenly across the surface. Basically use your standard FTIR setup with an LED Frame (no compliant silicone surface needed), and just switch to a special acrylic. This acrylic uses small particles that are inside the material, acting like thousands of small mirrors. When you shine IR light into the edges of this material, the light gets redirected and spread to the surface of the acrylic. The effect is similar to DI, but with even illumination, no hotspots, and same setup process as FTIR.

<center>sheme_dsi_web.jpg</center>

<center>dsicamadjustedandtouchmp2.jpg</center>

<div style="padding:5px; background-color:#FFF0DF; border:1px solid #C3C3C3; padding-top:5px">DSI Parts List:

o EndLighten Acrylic
o LEDs
o Projection Surface (tracing paper, lee filter, geriets optitrans , etc);
</div>

</div>

</div>

Technique Comparison
</div>

A frequent question is “What is the best technique?” Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. Each technique has it’s pro and cons. The answer is less about what is best and more about what is best for you (which only you can answer).

The General consensus is:  If you need object, fiducial, and hovering recognition than rear DI is most likely for you. If you only need a robust and reliable finger recognition, than FTIR is a great choice. Front DI, although the simplest to build, is rarely used as a permanent setup since it heavily relies on the surrounding environment.

FTIR:

Pros:

o An enclosed box is not required
o Blobs have strong contrast
o Allows for varying blob pressure
o With a compliant surface, it can be used with something as small as a pen tip

Cons:

o Setup calls for some type of LED frame (soldering required)
o Requires a compliant surface (silicone rubber) for proper use
o Cannot recognize objects or fiducial markers
o Cannot use a glass surface

Rear DI:

Pros:

o No need for a compliant surface, just an diffuser/projection surface on top/bottom
o Can use any transparent material like glass (not just acrylic)
o No LED frame required
o No soldering (you can buy the IR-Illuminators ready to go)
o Simple setup
o Can track objects, fingers, fiducials, hovering

Cons:

o Difficult to get even illumination
o Blobs have lower contrast (harder to pick up by software)
o Greater chance of ‘false blobs’
o Enclosed box is required

Front DI:

Pros:

o No need for a compliant surface, just an diffuser/projection surface on top/bottom
o No LED frame required
o No soldering (you can buy the IR-Illuminators ready to go)
o Can track fingers and hovering
o Simplest setup

Cons:

o Cannot track objects and fiducials
o Difficult to get even illumination
o Greater chance of ‘false blobs’
o Not as reliable (relies heavily on ambient lighting environment)

LLP:

Pros:

o No compliant surface (silicone)
o No LED frame required
o Simplest setup
o Could be slightly cheaper than other techniques

Cons:

o Cannot track traditional objects and fiducials
o Not truly pressure sensitive (since light intensity doesn’t change with pressure).
o Can cause occlusion if only using 1 or 2 lasers where light hitting one finger blocks another finger from receiving light.

DSI:

Pros:

o No compliant surface (silicone)
o Can easily switch back and forth between DI (DSI) and FTIR
o Can detect objects, hovering, and fiducials
o Is pressure sensitive
o No hotspots
o even finger/object illumination throughout the surface

Cons:

o Endlighten Acrylic costs more than regular acrylic (but the some of the cost can be made up since no IR illuminators are needed)
o Blobs have lower contrast (harder to pick up by software) than FTIR and LLP
</div>

File Attachments
photos.zip  (File Size: 165KB - Downloads: 1855)
 Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-02
Total Posts:  37

Great summery but I think there’s a mistake at
Rear DI
Cons:
Enclosed box is not required.

Shouldn’t it be: Enclosed box is required ?

Signature 

http://www.lab101.be/

Posted: 23 May 2008 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-23
Total Posts:  1

Very informative, thank you!

Posted: 23 May 2008 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Dedicated

Thanks zuppaman. Good eye. If anyone finds any other errors, let me know.

Signature 

Follow on:

Posted: 23 May 2008 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  881

One more T-shirt for Cerupcat ! (with 2 wings on it )

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Français

Posted: 24 May 2008 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-01
Total Posts:  54

Woho, that’s my hand!

Signature 

Sebastian Hartman

Posted: 24 May 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20
Total Posts:  11

From the difference in contrast on FTIR and DI, I assume that tracking sliding gestures is easier with FTIR. Right?

Thanks for the guide.

Posted: 24 May 2008 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-14
Total Posts:  25

I don’t know, my webcam is picking up my fingertip blobs as bright as an IR LED pen. I am using Rear DI at the moment just using 2 desklamps to illuminate the surface evenly. Not good but it works for now! smile

Posted: 24 May 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Dedicated

@ Calvin Muller: If you look at the two images above, you’ll see what I mean by contrast. FTIR will almost have a completely black vs completely white contrast in the raw image. Rear DI on the other hand will never have the black part (although it may in rare occasions have the same white brightness), but therefore less contrast.

Signature 

Follow on:

Posted: 25 May 2008 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-14
Total Posts:  25

i understand what you were saying cerupcat, but with the awesome touchlib library.. the blobs are as bright as anything using DI smile i was just stating my situation and not criticizing anything you said above.

Posted: 04 June 2008 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

Add this as a showcase between using silicone and not using it http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewreply/11221/

Posted: 13 June 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-16
Total Posts:  117

Excellent post cerupcat. Maybe augment with links to other forum posts on how to build each type of display? This way this thread can become a 1 stop shop.

Posted: 20 June 2008 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

Add this to the list.

Image Attachments
IMG_0388.JPGlcd-ftir.jpg

Posted: 05 July 2008 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-03
Total Posts:  20

So, this sounds like it could be a very stupid question, but how does the image show up on the surface without it getting in the way of the camera, and is it easier to use projection or lcd?

Signature 

 iTrent 

Blog: http://buildingmultitouch.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 July 2008 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

your camera has to be modified so it only sees IR and not the visible spectrum… once thats done it doesnt matter what you project it will only see the IR reflected from your inputs…

Taha

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 17 July 2008 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Dedicated

I’ve updated the main post to add LLP and DSI techniques.

Vlado, i’ll probably add the LCD laser when I have more time. The LCD isn’t really technique in itself. It’s still FTIR.

Signature 

Follow on:

1 of 7