Blog Post: http://nuigroup.com/log/comments/surface_updates/

Signature 

~

Posted: 20 June 2008 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

MS Team RIO Bar Demonstration… and explanation.

Signature 

~

Posted: 20 June 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

I wonder how much of this is WPF driven?

Also does it make use of DirectX or XNA framework etc?

Signature 

~

Posted: 20 June 2008 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-07
Total Posts:  96

I wanna say its mostly WPF, but there is a good chance it could be on XNA framework… For games type Apps, it would make more sense to use XNA. But I haven’t confirmed it yet either way, just my thoughts.

Signature 

LCD FTIR MultiTouch Screen
http://multitouch.geomentary.com/

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

Nuiman it looks as though Surface SDK supports both WPF and XNA shadow box looks like its WPF, but Rio ibar looks like its a mixture of both…

Surface SDK Demonstration.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 21 June 2008 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

The SDK is nice but looks alot like our own community SDK’s , MultitouchVista , and so on.

Posted: 21 June 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-01
Total Posts:  52
nuiman - 20 June 2008 09:21 AM

I wonder how much of this is WPF driven?

Also does it make use of DirectX or XNA framework etc?

both available, depending on the release candidate with more or less features

Posted: 22 June 2008 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-27
Total Posts:  78

Shadowbox and Seadragon demos are XNA.  The app deployed at select AT&T stores are WPF.  The apps deployed at the Rio iBar are a mix.

Posted: 22 June 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-14
Total Posts:  819
Elite

Are there any differences between XNA and WPF Surface libraries? Is there any thing that can be made only in one, but not in other technology?

Signature 

HID Multitouch driver for Windows 7 http://multitouchvista.codeplex.com/

Posted: 22 June 2008 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-27
Total Posts:  78

We have 2 libraries with roughly the same capabilities in terms of input, but they have API designs and additional features which cater to the strengths & design patterns of their respective UI frameworks.

The video Taha linked to above shows off (in addition to how messy my desk is!) our ScatterView control which is flexible and easy to work with thanks to its integration with fundamental features of WPF like XAML, databinding, and element composition.  Similar things can (and have) been built for other UI frameworks but the code required to use them tends to be significantly more involved.

On the other side of the coin, you have things like “Shadowbox” and “Water” which are more easily built in XNA thanks to its integrated support for custom pixel/vertex shaders.  We have APIs in this library designed specificaly for easy integration with such custom shaders.

-R

Posted: 24 June 2008 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-07
Total Posts:  96

Hello rlevy,

From Seattle here, oh by the way, I emailed your Surface ask-surf alias and basically begged them to get me the SDK wink Can you put in a good word man?

By the way delicious SDK man - lucky you..... Visit my blog and checkout my newly built MultiTouch LCD Screen if you like.

We have 2 libraries with roughly the same capabilities in terms of input, but they have API designs and additional features which cater to the strengths & design patterns of their respective UI frameworks.

The video Taha linked to above shows off (in addition to how messy my desk is!) our ScatterView control which is flexible and easy to work with thanks to its integration with fundamental features of WPF like XAML, databinding, and element composition.  Similar things can (and have) been built for other UI frameworks but the code required to use them tends to be significantly more involved.

On the other side of the coin, you have things like “Shadowbox” and “Water” which are more easily built in XNA thanks to its integrated support for custom pixel/vertex shaders.  We have APIs in this library designed specificaly for easy integration with such custom shaders.

-R

Signature 

LCD FTIR MultiTouch Screen
http://multitouch.geomentary.com/