Should we need a special discuss section about "Patent"?
Posted: 24 June 2008 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-05
Total Posts:  14

Recently, I found many patent docs about MT. They really frustrates me to go further as I am afraid to step on someone’s area. And the most confusing things are… their coverage are very broad . If we are developing sometings that have already patented by others, it is too stupid and wasting of time.

I suggest if this forum can specially open an disscuss section for members to talk about Patent matters such as who is the biggest patent owner of MT, the existing MT patents, cases study or books to refer, even how to patent your work and cost, etc… The information will be very useful to be referred. Then, we can more ensure we are not doing no paid work. That also makes this portal more healthy cos we are not just telling the members how to develop MT but also to protect their right and interest.

Signature 

http://www.youtube.com/user/tilllasting

Posted: 24 June 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  338

Just because someone has a patent, doesn’t mean that you can’t experiment and come up with your own variation.
I think patents suck anyway. I mean look at how hearing about just one patent has stifled your creative drive?
You really don’t have to worry about it unless you develop something and start mass marketing it.

I for one will continue to “tinker” regardless of patents!

Signature 

Blobs the likes of which even the Gods have not seen!

Posted: 24 June 2008 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-01
Total Posts:  243

You don’t need to worry about patents, there are so many ways around them.  You can’t patent an idea, you can only patent a finished product.  Your product just needs to be different, it can work in the exact same way but just be a little different i.e. software.  Seriously, don’t stress. smile

Signature 

fingerpuk.tumblr.com

Posted: 30 June 2008 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-25
Total Posts:  36

Can you image if you never had to worry about patent infringement, more would feel free to attempt to improve on just about everything. As a technological culture we would be much further advanced by now. But i guess in a way , greed makes us strive to be the first to create something and make money off it. Same old same old

Posted: 30 June 2008 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Total Posts:  556
Elite

Just because someone has a patent, doesn’t mean that you can’t experiment and come up with your own variation.
I think patents suck anyway. I mean look at how hearing about just one patent has stifled your creative drive?
You really don’t have to worry about it unless you develop something and start mass marketing it.

I for one will continue to “tinker” regardless of patents!

I with you on this. Don’t worry and keep up the creativity cool smile

Signature 

http://www.justinriggio.com cool mad
http://www.niceminds.com My blog

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  54

first rule when dealing with things like patents is ...

Ignore them!

Build your table and get it done right. is more important than a smuchk patent and the trolls who use them to keep this world backwards.

Signature 

broken FTIR = behold the power of little brothers. Replacement LLP in the works, scribbles

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

Related: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/359/

Signature 

~

Posted: 01 July 2008 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-16
Total Posts:  117

It would be nice to have a summary or sticky post (along the same lines of this excellent post http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/1982/ by cerupcat) that describes what is patented and their impacts (in plain english). I am sure that there are many people on here who are exploring these concepts for potential comercial use, and having such a post would clarify what is possible or not.

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-23
Total Posts:  8

I agree with most of you that patents are some of the most limiting things around. I’d love to follow the “just create” advice, but unfortunately, we exist in this world with patents. They could mean financial life or death.....even if totally unfair (patent trolls anyone?), unjust, and unconstitutional. The legal system today isn’t exactly what you’d call perfect or close to it.

Really, I plan to make a license that forces others who use patents to restrict information and knowledge to pay (I’m not giving up my hard work for people who don’t share their own work), otherwise the technology is free.

Moving back to the topic, exactly how can we make sure we are safe from more specific (yet general) patents. FTIR, DSI, etc.......