2 of 3
New to ActionScript? ActionScript books and links…
Posted: 28 August 2008 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  164

I just want people to know, that unless you already program (especially in AS2) AND know some simple flash, this book is not for you.

It does not go over programing. It assumes you know all of the syntax, and all regular programing functions.

If you do not know any programming languages, move away from this book.

I know php, but I would still not recommend it at all. It never goes over why you do what you do. It uses OOP for everything, but never has you actually make anything with multiple classes (other than the simple var ball:Ball = new Ball() ). It has you put :void at the end of functions without telling you that if a function is not returning a value, you need this.

Granted im only several hundred pages in, but I have read every word so far.

On the other hand, if you are coming from AS2, get this book.

cerupcat - 28 June 2008 12:50 PM

MY favorite book that got me up and running in the least amount of time is “Foundation actionscript animation: making things move!” After reading chapter 2, I knew enough to start.

Posted: 07 September 2008 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Total Posts:  556
Elite

Thanks for that noverflow. If you want to save a few bucks flip through the pages first before you buy any book. This way you know what your getting into. I do want to say that I used AS2 for websites and never for OOP I did read this book and It helped me a lot. So take it as you may smile

Signature 

http://www.justinriggio.com cool mad
http://www.niceminds.com My blog

Posted: 14 October 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

Hey Justin
you mentioned this book in the thread: Learning ActionScript 3.0: A beginner’s guide
is it good? i have a little bit of programming experience - basic, VERY little c++, and i want to learn AS3. how is this for a relatively-beginner actionscript programmer?

thx a lot!
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 14 October 2008 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

I found this book to be a huge help to me and I’m also a beginner smile

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2008 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Cool, awesome. I’m going to pick it up off amazon! Did you use Flash CS3, flash develop, or flex builder (or some other program)? I have access to Flex Builder at home, and Flash CS3 at school...which does it help most with?
thx again
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 14 October 2008 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

I just started using FlashDev but I would say whatever your comfortable with. Flash is a good place to start because most people use that and it is harder then FlashDev. When you jump to FlashDev you should code faster w/ the built in help and the fact you have been using a harder program. If it were me I would use both of them at school and FlashDev and Flex at home. Hey maybe we could code together on something small. I need as much practice as possible.

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2008 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

hey justin
ok, that makes sense.
coding something together sounds like a great idea - PM me and we can talk about something...let me know. i need practice too… smile
sounds good!
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 10 November 2008 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  164

Im looking for a book on AS3.

Something that will take me from beginning to end. Everything from strong type variables and functions, the whys and hows, to the end.

Im looking for something that at the end I will not only know as3, but understand it why it is done the way it is.

For instance, I know that a function named the same as the class will run once the class is called, but why do you sometimes just have init(); in said function, then go ahread and put all the code in the init function? Why not just put it all in the top function?

This is the type of thing I want to understand better.

Any suggestions?

Posted: 17 December 2008 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-20
Total Posts:  102

Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Game Design Demystified
a very good book about games design in flash, I learnt the basics of object oriented programming, collision detection, basic trigonometry, physics etc.
Helped me immensely back in my university days

Signature 

blog log

Posted: 17 December 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Aidil - Flash MX uses AS2 though right? As far as I know, making mt apps in AS2 is much harder (if even possible) than in AS3? Can you clarify that - does MX use AS2, AS3, or both?

Thanks
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 17 December 2008 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-20
Total Posts:  102

as2 i suppose. this book however teaches foundation to advance methods to gaming design in flash. the highlight of the book for me was collision detections..
but hey if theres a better book than this that is based on as3, please recommend :]

Signature 

blog log

Posted: 17 December 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Ok, thanks for the info! On justin’s recommendation, I ordered Learning ActionScript 3.0: A beginner’s guide . Its in the mail right now...when I get it and start reading, I’ll post my thoughts
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 21 January 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-08
Total Posts:  24

Actionscript 3.0 Bible
this may come in handy.

You can download it

here

I am going to buy Learning ActionScript 3.0: A beginner’s guide aswell i’ve already downloaded the pdf version of
and It seems good

Posted: 14 March 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-03
Total Posts:  19

Free online and saveable video tutorials for Flash, Actionscript, Flex and Photoshop:
http://www.gotoandlearn.com

Clear and usefull tutorials, exercise files included and an option to download tutorial.

Signature 

MultiTouch FTIR table 32” (2x18 + 2x13 850nm 60degr IR-leds) with Sony PS3 Eye and omegabob’s 850nm passfilter
MacBook Pro 15” (late 2008) running tBeta
PC P4 2,8 3GB (running XP pro, tbeta)
PC MacOSX86 (hackintosh)
Using Flex Builder 3 & Flash CS4, Processing
see: Vimeo (nov 08)

Posted: 24 March 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-19
Total Posts:  2

Hello People, I´m new in this forum, I,m from Argentine and i´d like to share this video tutorial of AS3 to any people who speak Spanish in this forum. I think it´s a very good intro to AS3 and OOP. 
[ Hola Gente, Soy nuevo en este foro, Soy de Argentina y quisiera compartir unos excelentes videos tutoriales en español - Opino que son muy buena introduccion hacia AC3 y OOP ].

http://www.megaupload.com/?f=3HXI3E0O - VideoTutorial ActionScript 3.0 con Flash CS3 y Flex 3

Thanks. I´ll like see a Thread to people who speak Spanish in NUI Group Forum.

2 of 3