Windows 8 and 8.1
Posted: 16 January 2014 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15
Total Posts:  2

Does CCV work on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 ?
I have looked everywhere and found no answers.
Thanks.

Posted: 17 January 2014 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-16
Total Posts:  4

Best bet is to simply try, and see what happens. I’d offer more, but I’m more into embedded systems than the optical/Windows route that everyone is taking.

Posted: 17 January 2014 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15
Total Posts:  2

What does that route (embedded systems) look like? It sounds like a potentially better way to do this.

Posted: 17 January 2014 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-16
Total Posts:  4

Well, it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish.

For me, Something like the laser interference described here would work effectively because I have a really large area and a really shallow depth, but for my purposes, I’m not looking for a multi-touch solution, just a natural feeling interface, and I’m looking to have clean lines and keep the sensors away from the actual touching.

In short though, embedded systems refer to discrete components designed to perform a single task (usually under some kind of time constraint) within a larger item as a whole. I wrote up a quick overview in the Beginners area that roughly describes my plan. http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/23093/

You need to look at your objectives and find out what you’re building, its purpose, and break it down from there. If you’re thinking of using capacitive multi-touch sensing, you’re going to have a lot of stuff on your hands, because it would be complicated. You’d need to hook up an oscilloscope or logic analyzer to a working screen, and monitor the signals being sent from the screen to the controller, including the initialization codes. Then, you’d need to correlate those signals to actual inputs. Finally, you’d need to develop a driver for your board which would work with these signals.

Like I mentioned, I’m planning on using the PIC16F707 microprocessor as each has the ability to handle up to 32 channels of a single capacitive change, and only 2 at one time due to the limits of the IC.
What this means though is that I have static displays, that will never change once its in. On the back of each ‘button’ will be a metallic pad with a small air gap, so that touching the plexi in front of the pads will cause a capacitive change that the PIC’s will register.

Using a Raspberry Pi as the controller because the extra computing power needed for the image recognition is no longer required, the Pi will aggregate signals, parse them and provide haptic feedback through sounds or whatnot.

If it sounds like a lot of work - it is. It’s also a far cry from being efficient. If I was designing this for a client, I’d use an LCD panel and a single custom touch screen, but you’re moving into the thousands of dollars/euros for the screens, and then the programming behind it all.

Posted: 17 February 2014 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-30
Total Posts:  7
batfinder - 16 January 2014 03:45 AM

Does CCV work on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 ?
I have looked everywhere and found no answers.
Thanks.

Yes it works. I have test from version 1.3 to 1.5 and they all work but you need to install some software before you can use them. You will need to install quicktime, VS C++ 2008 redistributables, VS C++ 2005 redestributables + SP1.

When you install the above CCV 1.3 and 1.4 will either run or ask you for some missing DLLs, if asked for the DLLs download them from anywhere and add them to the CCV’s director.

CCV 1.5 will ask you for nothing but it will hang and not run. If you inspect windows event viewer you will find out that there is a problem with multicam dll. In order to fix this uninstall and re-install CLeye driver and open CCV 1.5 without having a PS3 camera connected.

I hope I have helped you smile