ACRYLITE LED (EndLighten) Acrylic HELP
Posted: 21 February 2014 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-27
Total Posts:  5

I am building a DSI touch table and I recently bought this acrylic, ACRYLITE┬« LED (EndLighten), sheet, Colorless 0E012 XL, from acrylite.  I am wondering if this will be rigid enough for its size.  The size I bought is 47.8 x 27.8 x 0.394.  It says on the website it has application widths of up to 48 inches, but I want to make sure its not going to bend over time or possible even break while the table is in use.  The only thing I would possibly put on top of it is a rear projection film.  So, my question is, will this acrylic be able to be used for my touchscreen without and support under it?

This is the link to the acrylic I bought http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/details.htm?$product=2iog0tl9rqf~p&$category=ga7iwmq7gnt

Posted: 21 February 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15
Total Posts:  419

.394 inch Acrylite is pretty strong stuff.  47.8 x 27.8 is roughly the size of a 46-47 inch monitor.  You should be good to go.  It wouldn’t hurt to give the edges some support just to be safe, but this could be a 1 - 2 inch border.  You could probably go less if you wanted too, however, I wouldn’t suggest less then 1/2 an inch.

Did you get the edges polished by Acrylite?  If not look up info on flame polishing acrylic—very handy for DSI builds.

Signature 

Personal MT Blog
Mesa Mundi Inc. and Online Store

Posted: 21 February 2014 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-27
Total Posts:  5

Thanks thats very helpful.  Would it be okay if my edge support was just 6 L brackets around the edges that are an inch long? Also i did get it polished.

Posted: 01 March 2014 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15
Total Posts:  419

"L” brackets should be fine!  Just avoid sag when possible and make sure you’re not reflecting IR off the brackets internally.  I did a DSI build using silvered plumbers tape once… once.  The idea was sound.  Encapsulate the IR ribbon with something shiny to push the light further into the housing.  I ended up having to create a bottom mask to prevent the camera from seeing the reflected light from the downward DSI effect—oops!  This was with a fully blackened interior housing as well.

Signature 

Personal MT Blog
Mesa Mundi Inc. and Online Store