RDI Table -Win8.1 CCV1.5 TouchInjector
Posted: 17 April 2015 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16
Total Posts:  7

Hi all,

I am about to build my first setup and I would like some feedback on the plan so far smile

The table will be a Rear-Diffuse Illumination one. With a projection surface of 80x45cm(16:9) and a height of 80cm

HARDWARE:
- Projector: EPSON EH-TW5100
- Diffuser: One side Frosted Glass Table Top
- 4(5) IR-CCTV Illuminators
- 1 PS3 Eye Camera
- 2 front face mirror
- 1 computer fan

- DELL Inspiron 3520
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz, 2 cores, 4 logic processors (no idea what all this means btw)
- RAM 4Gb installed, given at 1.9 Gb usable
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 with a memory of 1.75Gb (will this be enough ?)

WILL BE UPGRADED TO:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4LkJXL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4LkJXL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£59.93 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.59 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250 2GB Core Edition Video Card (£57.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Zalman ZM-T4 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£12.75 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.64 @ More Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.16 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£76.74 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£3.72 @ Aria PC)
Total: £553.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 21:17 BST+0100

SOFTWARE:
I’m planning on using:
- CCV1.5 (I’ve got it running so far for 1 camera)
- CL drivers for the PS3 Eye
- TouchInjector to convert blobs from CCV to Windows sginal

Questions:

Do I need any more software than that ?
Why does CCV1.5 uses 90% CPU ? Is my laptop not good enough to handle it ?

Thanks for your help. I’m planning on getting the hardware together within the next two weeks so I will update this post.

Posted: 17 April 2015 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
Total Posts:  135

Hi!

Convex front face mirror? Are you sure that this will work? If it does, I would be very interested in the results - I was recently shocked by how expensive 1080p short throw projectors still are..!

4 logic processors - this is Intels “Hyperthreading” technology, which creates .. well logical processor cores. For some tasks this is said to speed up the processing, but for CCV I have doubts. You already noticed how much processing the tracker requires - that’s why I would recommend a faster dual core CPU (and switching off Hyperthreading in the BIOS). Something like a 3.x GHz Core i5. But you can do this in the end - when your touch-hardware is ready.

Your software combination looks good. For Touch Injector keep in mind that it currently does not work in the Universal Access Control or the secure desktop (logon screen), but I’m always open to improvements and the open questions regarding UIAccess are documented at touchinjector.codeplex.com

best whishes with your project!
michael

Signature 

Twitter Blog

Posted: 17 April 2015 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I’ll let you know for the convex front face mirror. Talking to a few people at Uni and it seems that it might work. I’m just using a magnifying make up mirror and dissolving the protective paint on the back, apparently it’s a cheap way of making front face mirrors. Hopefully it won’t affect the focus to much, but for 10$ or so I’m willing to make the experiment smile

Thanks for the information concerning the CPU power. I was wondering which of the CPU or GPU was more important for CCV to perform well. I don’t know much about computers really, but I learn fast, so hopefully, in the end, it will work.

I hope my project will help others in their project because I have a feeling that there is a lot of issues with software compatibility between CCV and Windows 8.1, not to mention with the coming Windows 10.

Cheers,

Julien

Posted: 20 April 2015 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16

So it looks like the first surface convex mirror kind of works. It does work when I project the image directly opposite the projector, i.e; when my projector is horizontal I can project a sharp image on the wall behind the projector. However when I try and project at 90° (upwards) the image gets blurry on one side, I’m not sure why that is. I’ll update this post when the actual table is built and hopefully I’ll get a decent image.

Posted: 22 April 2015 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-21
Total Posts:  6

any more news on this would be welcome...I’m hoping to build something similar myself.

Posted: 26 April 2015 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16

Hi!

So far the convex mirror proved unsuccessful. I’ll keep you posted on the rest. Using a 1cm thick piece of glass with one side frosted works wonders with the frosted side down. No reflection at all from the illuminators even when they are facing straight upwards. It is also a very good projection surface and remains very esthetic.

Posted: 04 May 2015 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16

Hi all,

I’ve edited my first post with the new PC build I’m aiming on getting. The GPU is not great but since I mostly play old games (Europa Universalis 3, Mount&Blade) I think it will be okay, especially with a projector resolution of 800x600.

Could I have you’re opinion on this build ?

I’ll be editing my post soon since I hope to receive my 2 extra illuminators by the end of the week.

Cheers

Posted: 11 August 2015 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-04-16

Hello everyone.

I thought I’d update due to big changes in the project.

First things first, changed the projector from the EB-S03 to EH-TW5100 (HD). The 800x600 was just causing so much problems with windows incompatibilities etc ...
I can get away with just one mirror so far due to the upgrade. The convex mirror idea proved unsuccessful due to a blurred part of the picture.
I am using 4 illuminators in total and they seem to be okay. I’m considering getting another just to add a bit of sensitivity to the central area.

Hope all this helps.

Posted: 08 February 2016 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-07
Total Posts:  1

Hi and thanks for all the info available here on multitouch surfaces, I’m a geek and hope to produce a small design in the next few months so I’m sure to have a number of problems and therefore questions.

Signature 

https://www.mrcerts.com/70-480-test.html