recommended hardware for restaurant table
Posted: 07 December 2015 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-17
Total Posts:  15

Hi
i need to build an interactive table for a restaurant i know about software and have created regular touchscreen kiosks , however this project has some special needs :
-resistant to water and heat (maybe coffe spill or a hot food plate)
-detect objects(plates, mugs, glasses) and hands
-flat continuous surface , it would be pretty nice to avoid having borders or frames

Please let me know if you know wich hardware or option i should take…

Posted: 16 December 2015 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-12-16
Total Posts:  2

Trust me you cant do it without capacitive for this. 

We used to use PQ’s and Zagg for this and have had several instances coffee was spilt. 

Interference of objects with Infrared and last but not least the annoying recessed lip around the perimeter to catch all the food. :(

Been waiting 15 years for capacitive at large size for this instance and I finally feel complete.

What size screen are you using?

Chris

Posted: 16 December 2015 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-17
Total Posts:  15

Yes cleaning and maintenance is one of the main concerns,

I also agree about the IR frame not being an option ,
we actually have not build anything yet for this project
but we were asked by our client to create a solution like this
http://www.lifesizetouch.com/interactive-furniture/kiocafe/

with the difference that we need to have a 50 inch or bigger table

other detail i can think of is screen needs to have more than 20 touch points so if you rest your arms , place objects and there are more than 2 users at a given time then it would easily require those 20 touch points.

By looking on internet other providers im starting to think it requires a custom solution wich involves a “diamon glass” for the surface and some touchscreen capable of detecting touches througth the glass but im just guessing as i dont know any hardware wich works that way.