Simultaneous touchscreen gestures on Windows 7
Posted: 26 January 2016 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2016-01-26
Total Posts:  2

From browsing through the forums, this question might be really underwhelming for the assembled experts, but maybe you’ll humor me anyway. I’ve been working on this for several days and have gotten nowhere.

All I want to do is to be able to detect simultaneous touchscreen gestures on Windows 7. I have access to several multi-touch touchscreens—the one hooked up to my computer right now can detect 10 simultaneous touches. But it appears that the standard Windows 7 gesture-detection code (i.e. the one available from calling SetGestureConfig()) can only detect one gesture at a time.

From my reading, I was under the impression that the Microsoft Surface SDK 2.0 can do that, but I was unable to get any of my touches to affect anything in the SDK’s sample apps. (Running the MS Surface Input Simulator, and using my mouse, worked, though.) I got my hands on a Microsoft Surface tablet (model 1514, running Windows 8 Pro), but again, no luck. (Running the MS Surface Input Simulator got a single touch to work, but not multiple touches.)

I then figured out that the multi-gesture Microsoft Surface was renamed Microsoft PixelSense, and that the Surface tablet I had was unrelated to it, so perhaps the Surface SDK was never going to work.

Finally, I learned about the “HID driver for Windows 7” on these forums, and have installed the driver, but I can’t tell if it works with the Surface SDK, or if it needs TouchLib/TUIO/whatever to do its job. There’s no documentation yet posted for that project, so I’m off to read its forums now.

Can anyone help me? It seems like there’s a simple solution here, but it’s eluding me.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 03 February 2016 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-01-26
Total Posts:  2

After much effort, I answered my own question...it’s WPF that handles multi-user gestures, though it refers to them as “manipulations”. The Surface SDK is not needed in this case. To get the Surface SDK apps to work on a non-PixelSense device, the references to SurfaceWindow have to be changed to the WPF Window class, and then they tend to work. Finally, the “HID driver for Windows 7” wasn’t necessary, at least not for me.