alternatives to 7D006 (5mm) Plexi glass
Posted: 06 May 2016 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2016-05-04
Total Posts:  3

Hi,

As many of you have noticed, is much more complicated to get that specific material for the top of your table project due to is only available in China Evonik.
You need to be living there for to be able to be shipped to you. Few days ago I contacted them querying a similar product with as good properties as 7D006 but they could not give me advice or direction on this.

Now I am waiting in order to see if there is enough demand and stock if it happens thereby they will quote me the extra charges for the shipping into United Kingdom were is where I am placed.

But I would not like to be stack on this pending positive confirmation, so in the meantime I would like to know if there is similar conditions for a new/affordable/other type of Plexiglas which is already available without so many limitations that works as good as that one or perhaps go for an acrylic surface plus filter. Please I am looking forward to hear all opinions from users.
I haver read discussions about 7D007(0.75 mm)/7D009/99561 (3mm) but I do not think they would work for fiducial tracking too in a nice/smooth way or even the headache to start playing with the different thickness in which they provide them when doing the purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Ramon.

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-01

Evonik has changed the naming convention of its endlighten products they are now known as Evonik LED, you can purchase it directly from Evonik
https://www.plexiglas-shop.com/GB/en/plexiglas-led/fuer-kantenbeleuchtung-e05pqpl8s5f.html?tx=6mbq0qfweeb

As far as tracking fiducials, it should work with endlighten provided you have a bright enough led source

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-05-04

Hi, but these are not Optical but LED type. Do they work for Rear Diffused illumination too?

Posted: 06 May 2016 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-01

What kind of setup are you trying to create? FTIR, DI (rear), DSI, LLP

For FTIR, DI, LLP any acrylic will work, as it is only a surface you touch.

DSI
Requires the use of a special type of acrylic i.e. Evonik Endlighten (7D007, 7D009 etc)

If you are building DI setup then you don’t require endlighten any sheet of acrylic will work. In a DI setup your box will have to defuse the IR before it hits the acrylic surface to prevent hotspots.

Posted: 07 May 2016 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-05-04

Taha it will be rear DI with IR leds at the bottom my purpose is to use it for fiducial tracking recognition and multitouch like Reactable.
I did a small version prototype using my vacuum box and it worked with Reactivision but quite limited with general dimension plus problems on calibration and issues with stability. At this moment I was using two rectangular pieces of frosted glass 20x30 typically found on bathroom stand alone tables, but i want to move to bigger surface projection. I have seen quite few videos with 7D006 plexi and it is amazing the quality image you get at the top it seems the table its alive. It looks like not to be any problem with fiducials recognition and from top user prespective the mating face of the sheet is dark enough to prevent to see what is inside.
On the other hand, read that with a Rosco grey sheet and a Lee filter 272 soft silver reflector it will do same function. That why I was interested in knowing about material surfaces. Thanks.