My name is Randy and together with my girlfriend Vanessa I’ve built our first FTIR setup.
First of all I would like thank everybody here on nuigroup because without this site it would not have been possible for us. I hope we can find a way to contribute back for all the advise, tips and trick we have found on the forums. Thank you all !!!!
Before I started I was playing around with the WII mote and Johny Lee’s whiteboard. His work inpired me and in my search for kowledge I stumbled acros this site and I was hooked.
We found a plate of acrylic 1m2 for 20 euro’s and started experimenting. We have worked very hard for 2,5 weeks in the evenings and weekends. I was going to do a presentation at http://www.mediaplaza.nl and wanted to demo the MT as part of my presention. A very cool place by the way, they have a touchwindow with the transparent 3M rear projection film…
And this is the result:
At this moment we have a hotspot problem, so the smoke demo is the only one that works. When my IR blocking filter arrives I will make more movies.
Some more details:
The compliant surface is bottom up:
- 1m x1m x 1 cm acrylic plate
- Sorta Clear 40 1mm (Watched Blaxwans tutorial movie a hundred times)
- Rosco grey
Other stuff used:
- Acer P1265 projector
- Microsoft VX1000 webcam
- 60 SFH 485 Leds (5 x (6 leds + 33 Ohm 1Watt resistor) on 12 volt)
- 2 normal mirrors
Thing I want to try:
improve this setup:
- Tinkermans: Silicone coated Drafting Vellum for projection/compliant surface
- Pulsing LED’s with capturing auto background substraction every n images
- IR blocking film on top to improve daylight conditions
New permanent vertical laser LLP setup in the livingroom:
- I’ve just ordered 2 IR lasers from Alex P.
- I have 2 visible lasers for initial testing and setup.
- 3M transparent rear projection foil
Randy & Vanessa