1 of 2
Our first FTIR setup
Posted: 06 July 2008 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
Total Posts:  63

Hi,

My name is Randy and together with my girlfriend Vanessa I’ve built our first FTIR setup.

First of all I would like thank everybody here on nuigroup because without this site it would not have been possible for us. I hope we can find a way to contribute back for all the advise, tips and trick we have found on the forums. Thank you all !!!!

Before I started I was playing around with the WII mote and Johny Lee’s whiteboard. His work inpired me and in my search for kowledge I stumbled acros this site and I was hooked.

We found a plate of acrylic 1m2 for 20 euro’s and started experimenting. We have worked very hard for 2,5 weeks in the evenings and weekends. I was going to do a presentation at http://www.mediaplaza.nl and wanted to demo the MT as part of my presention. A very cool place by the way, they have a touchwindow with the transparent 3M rear projection film…

And this is the result:

At this moment we have a hotspot problem, so the smoke demo is the only one that works. When my IR blocking filter arrives I will make more movies. 

Some more details:

The compliant surface is bottom up:

bottom
- 1m x1m x 1 cm acrylic plate
- Sorta Clear 40 1mm (Watched Blaxwans tutorial movie a hundred times)
- sketchpaper
- Rosco grey

Other stuff used:
- Acer P1265 projector
- Microsoft VX1000 webcam
- 60 SFH 485 Leds (5 x (6 leds + 33 Ohm 1Watt resistor) on 12 volt)
- 2 normal mirrors

Thing I want to try:
improve this setup:
- Tinkermans: Silicone coated Drafting Vellum for projection/compliant surface
- Pulsing LED’s with capturing auto background substraction every n images
- IR blocking film on top to improve daylight conditions

New permanent vertical laser LLP setup in the livingroom:

- I’ve just ordered 2 IR lasers from Alex P.
- I have 2 visible lasers for initial testing and setup.
- 3M transparent rear projection foil

Regards,

Randy & Vanessa

Image Attachments
P1010007.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010198.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010203.JPGP1010004.JPG
 Signature 

Our setup: Our big ass table

Posted: 06 July 2008 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

Great job , your box looks really clean and well made. Also verry nice of you to include the NUI logo.Great job to you and your GF.

Posted: 06 July 2008 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28

Thanxtongue laugh Putting up the NUI logo is the least we can do. So far al we’ve done is using information on this site. Now it’s time to start contributing somehow. When we have site up I’ll put the logo/banner on it.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2008 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Nice work Tunabreath. =)

If you’re getting a hotspot from the projector, I’m not sure IR blocking foil will help you with that. A “hot mirror” in front of the projector lens will get rid of the hotspot.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 07 July 2008 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
cerupcat - 06 July 2008 01:50 PM

Nice work Tunabreath. =)

If you’re getting a hotspot from the projector, I’m not sure IR blocking foil will help you with that. A “hot mirror” in front of the projector lens will get rid of the hotspot.

Thanx Cerupcat, I’ve ordered a “hot mirror” a few days ago. First I got a IR filter from a slide projector. It worked, but not enough. so I’ve ordered one I found on the forums. Unfortunately I just found out in the mail that the mirror is only 2,5 cm. I hope it’s big enough.

The IR blocking foil I want to put on top of the Rosco to block daylight.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  338

I think you’ll find that real drafting vellum (made from 100% cotton fibers) will help get rid of the hotspot.

While I was experimenting with fabric as a projection surface, I had a few that showed hotspots.
Vellum has a very good light diffusion property. You just don’t see the hotspot with it!

Nice work BTW. wink

Signature 

Blobs the likes of which even the Gods have not seen!

Posted: 07 July 2008 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Total Posts:  556
Elite

Awesome job you guys.
My girlfriend almost left me because of my multi touch table. LOL Nice you can work together

Signature 

http://www.justinriggio.com cool mad
http://www.niceminds.com My blog

Posted: 07 July 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
justin - 07 July 2008 12:27 PM

Awesome job you guys.
My girlfriend almost left me because of my multi touch table. LOL Nice you can work together

Yeah thanks, we’re a good team!!! And it’s a lot better then sitting on the couch watching soaps on tv (which I don’t have)!!! Somebody suggested me that that you can use touchscreens to improve your massaging skills etc. Maybe that might help you convince you GF the use of Multitouchtongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
Tinkerman - 07 July 2008 11:00 AM

I think you’ll find that real drafting vellum (made from 100% cotton fibers) will help get rid of the hotspot.

While I was experimenting with fabric as a projection surface, I had a few that showed hotspots.
Vellum has a very good light diffusion property. You just don’t see the hotspot with it!

Nice work BTW. wink

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that together with your textured vellum. Now we use some kind of calk paper because that was the one stuff that wouldn’t stick to the Sorta Clear.

I also received the hot mirror today, goin to try that tomorrow.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

Thats so funny. Guess what? My GF is a fully licensed and insured massage therapist.
She likes my table now. It was just in the beginning she was upset. really until it worked. Now she loves it! cool smile

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
justin - 07 July 2008 03:48 PM

Thats so funny. Guess what? My GF is a fully licensed and insured massage therapist.
She likes my table now. It was just in the beginning she was upset. really until it worked. Now she loves it! cool smile

Super, now you two van work on a new MT application together!!! We sign up for Beta testing....

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

well i have been writing some apps for multi touch in flash. What beta testing are you talking about?

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

He was saying it in the sence that you and your GF like the table and you should make some apps, him and he’s GF’ll betatest them <-- it was suposed to be funny , you missed the point justin smile).

Posted: 08 July 2008 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  338

LOL my girlfriend left me and that’s when I built my table!! I had lots of free time…

Signature 

Blobs the likes of which even the Gods have not seen!

Posted: 08 July 2008 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
justin - 07 July 2008 04:05 PM

well i have been writing some apps for multi touch in flash. What beta testing are you talking about?

I meant the massage training applicationtongue wink She gives the input, you write the code. I’m signing up for beta testing that applicication LOL…

[edit]Sorry Vlado, missed your post

Building MT’s and al the research is verry addictive, serious, important stuff but only if you can have some fun (Especially when you work together).

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2008 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28

Super!!! Just got out 2 lasers from Alex P tongue laugh Thank you Alex for the fast shipping.

This is going to be a good weekend !!! Too much stuff to trywink

- Bought some silicone to play with Tinkermans textured vellum.

- Also going to try to see if the “hot mirror” does its thing. 

- Try to make a setup for the lasers (but NO power on till our Laser blocking goggles are in!!!!)

Image Attachments
inspiratiesessie 00.JPG
 Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ AudioTouch...Round 2!!      MS LaserTouch. ››