2 of 13
Tinkermans method - Casting Textured Silcone
Posted: 08 July 2008 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  338
GFantini - 08 July 2008 12:01 PM

Lookin’ good, Tinkerman. Apart from this method being easier to replicate, how would you say the roll on and squeegee methods compare as far as blobs produced go?

The biggest difference is in it’s consistency. The rolled on silicone is very even and a light touch produces wonderful blobs that vary in size with pressure. They stay bright while dragging as well.

Signature 

Blobs the likes of which even the Gods have not seen!

Posted: 08 July 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-04
Total Posts:  159

looks great that your process is proving to be the best so far for creating a compliant surface.  I notced that the silicone is hazy naturally and with the texturing I’m sure it will skew light traveling throught it even more but how is it’s overall clarity when you project through it?  Have you tested projecting text on the surface?  Rolling the silicone on the vellum or anything else is a great way to cover the surface fast and easy especially for large screens.

Posted: 08 July 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

I have to agree, this is the way forward, especially for larger screens, i have made a 1024 x 768mm FTIR, so using a foam paint roller is a cheaper alternative to spraying and not such a white knuckle ride as scrapping!  Im gunna give it a go in the next few days and will post my results here. Keep on tinkering!

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 08 July 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Hey just a quick thought, i know the working time for the silicon is limited but perhaps screen printing the silicon mix might provide an even smoother finish! Get yer girls best tights and away you go, hey if it doesnt work bank robbery is an option!!!

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 08 July 2008 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
estengineer - 08 July 2008 01:05 PM

looks great that your process is proving to be the best so far for creating a compliant surface.  I notced that the silicone is hazy naturally and with the texturing I’m sure it will skew light traveling throught it even more but how is it’s overall clarity when you project through it?  Have you tested projecting text on the surface?  Rolling the silicone on the vellum or anything else is a great way to cover the surface fast and easy especially for large screens.

It looks fine. Minimal distortion, nice clean image.
The video I posted is a demo using the rolled on silicone vellum, so you can judge for yourself.

Here it is again…

Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2008 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

Hey tinkerman, the video above is that using your newly created method of rolling on silicone on to vellum? or is it your previous method using the squeegee?

Taha

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 08 July 2008 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01

Just like the post right above your’s says…

“The video I posted is a demo using the rolled on silicone vellum”

wink

Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12

*Doh* Ahh i see now my mistake…

Taha

Signature 

My Youtube

Posted: 08 July 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-07
Total Posts:  96

Awesome stuff tinkerman! This is really cool. I have an LCD FTIR setup and wanna try this technique on it now.

Questions:

What is your setup specs? Meaning computer specs, camera type etc. I am not sure if XBOX live can track well… but then I dont have a compliant surface right now, just bare acrylic.

Good job man! Keep it up.

Signature 

LCD FTIR MultiTouch Screen
http://multitouch.geomentary.com/

Posted: 08 July 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
GeoMan - 08 July 2008 06:12 PM

Awesome stuff tinkerman! This is really cool. I have an LCD FTIR setup and wanna try this technique on it now.

Questions:

What is your setup specs? Meaning computer specs, camera type etc. I am not sure if XBOX live can track well… but then I dont have a compliant surface right now, just bare acrylic.

Thanks.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 ghz, with 3 mb RAM. No problems with a Logitec webcam running 30 FPS.

The screen top down:
Vellum
Textured silicone bonded to the vellum
Acrylic

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2008 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-28
Total Posts:  42

For i am not sure to use xylol, i looked for some alternatives.
I thought any thinner would do, so i got aceton (used in nailremover and stuff) from the drugstore to try it. Works nice, but the sheet is still drying grin
I’ll tell you later if it has worked out or not.

Posted: 10 July 2008 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-29
Total Posts:  76

Aceton works too, perhaps there is a bit of Xylol and other things in it. I phoned a Company in Germany and they told me Xylol and Aceton will work, they are used as thinner for SIlicone in Companys.

Posted: 10 July 2008 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12

I used lacquer thinner it works perfectly

Taha

Signature 

My Youtube

Posted: 10 July 2008 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01

Excellent!

I’m sure there are several chemical solvents that will work.
Some may compromise the elasticity of the silicone so test small batches first and see how it holds up.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-20
Total Posts:  54
Tinkerman - 08 July 2008 07:26 PM

GeoMan - 08 July 2008 06:12 PM

Questions:

Thanks.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 ghz, with 3 mb RAM. No problems with a Logitec webcam running 30 FPS.

The screen top down:
Vellum
Textured silicone bonded to the vellum
Acrylic

Hey Tink! you mean 3GB RAM, isn’t? rasberry

And BTW… I couldn’t find any topic about the “minimal system requirements” for the touchlib to work properly enough; I have been using a MacBook Pro at Bootcamp in Windows XP and obviously everything runs fine, but when I tried to run a test over a Celeron, the system didn’t go anywhere… it simply hangs eternally. I think am going to open a thread to place everyone experiences including the specs of their systems and use it as a guide for future projects.

Cheers!

2 of 13