Tinkermans method - Casting Textured Silcone
Posted: 16 January 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  338

@ fireater989
Sent you a PM regarding this. smile

Signature 

Blobs the likes of which even the Gods have not seen!

Posted: 02 August 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-16
Total Posts:  2

I am trying to make a touch service using the Tinkerman method. i got the Xylene, Silicone l* clear waterproof silicone stock No. GE012A, Tracing Vellum Paper. it has been drying for the past 20 hours and the service it is tacky still and i do not know if i messed up on the vellum or if it needs to be a little tacky or not. can some one give me any tips please and thank you. this is the second time i have tried making the service and both times it has come out tacky and i do not know why is there a way to fix it?

Image Attachments
ge012a.jpgtracing_vellum_paper.jpgxylene qt small.jpg

Posted: 16 January 2013 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-22
Total Posts:  18

i wonder what happen if you spray the silicon over the proyection surface....thinner coat and less time to dry i think...does it make any sense??

Posted: 16 January 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-16
Total Posts:  2

I did get it to work by adding 1 Tablespoon Xylene and 1 Tablespoon silicone. then mix well. then pour on the mixture and spread let dry for one hour and repeat. i did 6 coats that seemed to work for me.

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
Total Posts:  9

I am trying to do this with Silicon and Rosco Gray, as I came across messages on the forum indicating this would work.  Have been trying for 3 months now with various amounts but with no luck.  Here is what I have done, if anyone can point out any flaws that would be great.  I should mention I have an FTIR setup and if I use Dycem I great fantastic blobs but it does not unstick so the blobs never go away, but it shows at least the FTIR effect can work.  Am in UK so cannot get Xylol.

1) Silicon and tracing paper
Wrinkled, blobs were not great, screen was washed out.
2) Silicon and Rosco Gray
Tried Multipurpose clear silicon sealant (http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhesives-sealants/sealants/-specificproducttype-general_purpose_sealant/-material>silicone/Soudal-Trade-Multi-Purpose-Silicone-Sealant-Clear-300ml-11348649) but this was too thick.

Settled on a Soudal Trade Glazing Silicone Sealant Clear 300ml which is much more spreadable and dissolves in the acetone.

All tests are using nail polish remover from Tesco for the acetone, appears to dissolve sealant eventually.  Makes more of a spreadable paste than a combined mixture.  Could this be an issue??

Mixture in 1 to 1 proportions, also tried 2 sealant to 1 acetone, and 1 sealant to 2 acetone (teaspoon for a rough 10x8 inch tester of Rosco Gray) Mixture does not really end up like in Tinkermans video where its more gloopy but can be poored on or spread on with a knife.

Am using gloss rollers (http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/decorating-supplies/rollers-pads/mini_roller_sleeves/-specificproducttype-gloss_roller_sleeves/B-and-Q-Mini-Roller-Gloss-Sleeve-Refills-Pack-of-10-10548959?skuId=11039491).  Not sure if these are that great for producing the micro-bumps required but its the only ones I can find where I live, could this be the problem??

Tried with 1 layer, 3 layers ( sometimes an effect when semi wet still ), 6 layers.  Sometimes there is an effect while wet but once dry, not a hint of a blob.

3) Ordered some translucent silicon sheet from polymax, this failed completely to produce any blobs whatsoever.  Not sure what I can use this for now…

I am stumped as to what to do next, any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Posted: 05 July 2013 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-03
Total Posts:  43

Hi,
I am trying to make a FTIR table, and saw this thread. I was wondering if someone can give me a link to a good silicone and Xylene (and Vellum paper) that I can get cheaply in the UK?
Thanks

13 of 13