Upgrading a Surface 2 / SUR40
Posted: 16 January 2018 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-27
Total Posts:  4

First time poster!  Although I’ve used the NUI forum for tons of info and inspiration over the years.  Thank you all!

I recently acquired a Microsoft Surface 2 / Samsung SUR40, and am looking to build a bunch of cool apps for my family to use, enjoy, and learn.  The old-ish dependencies and development environment aside, I’ve run into a snag; the SUR40 built-in computer is pretty slow these days.  Thus, I am looking for a way to dramatically speed up the computer, and hopefully improve the overall user experience.

So far I’ve come up with a few upgrade options, but I wanted to see what everyone thought.  One option needs a lot more info.

1) Upgrade the hard drive - Obviously, in addition to an old cpu, the traditional hard drive is probably not idea.  An upgrade to a newer SSD should help some.

2) Use an external computer - I figure theoretically, the built-in computer could be used to send touches over a network to another, faster computer, and then switch the input of the Surface to the HDMI output of that newer computer.  My main concern here is latency of touches.

3) Upgrade the internal computer - Yes, the internal motherboard is proprietary, but I’ve done a bunch of research and it seems that all but one of the connectors on the MB to other components in the SUR40 are standard or can be easily adapted.  The one unknown connector probably has pins for USB, but I can’t figure out what the rest of the pins in the connector do.  This is where I’d need help.

For this last option, I have notes and photographs of the internals, if anyone is interested helping me to explore.

Thoughts??

**Edit - Wrong section!  I thought I was in Hardware - General Discussion…

Posted: 09 March 2018 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-27

Mods, can this post be moved to the correct section -> Hardware - General Discussion?

Posted: 09 March 2018 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-27

Looking around online, I never found much information about the internals of the SUR40.  I took a few (bad) pictures while doing some recon, and plan to take much better photos and post for others to use.

The attached image on this post is of the internals of the SUR40.  The numbered areas are as follows:
1) PC Motherboard (proprietary)
2) Power supply
3) Some kind of image processing board, looks similar to those seen in LCD TVs (without tuner).  NOTES:
--a) This is actually two boards stacked on top of one antoher
--b) I suspect one drives the LCD from PC or rear panel inputs, and the other handles touch data (also a video stream?)
4) Not visible, but this area is where the panel controls and speakers are located
5) Central well on the back of the display where AV inputs and outputs are located

You’ll also see tons of cooling and a 2.5” hard drive in the photo.

Image Attachments
SUR40-Internals-Labeled.png

Posted: 09 March 2018 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-27

The attached image is of the PC Motherboard.  Numbered connectors are as follows:

1) Power - Pretty straight forward
2) Front panel and card reader
3) Unknown - goes to image processor board
4) HDMI Out - goes to image board
5) SATA
6, 7, 8) Fans

INTERESTING NOTE:  The touch processor device in Windows 7 (I’ll check the Device manager and get the correct name) appears to be connected via USB.  This makes me think that part of the pins in connector #3 is actually USB.

Image Attachments
SUR40-Internals-Motherboard.png