1 of 10
CsTI - CSharp Touchlib Interface
Posted: 14 May 2007 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13
Total Posts:  365

I’m working on something i call CsTI. It is a C# Touchlib Interface.

It will - once completed - allow you to write C# code to create an interface for your multitouch application. The basic template for the application is that you override the fingerDown, fingerUpdate and fingerUp methods that is received from touchlib. This might lower CPU usage as not so much data has to be passed around - because touchlib is semi-part of the application.

Also it would make it very easy to write a windows application that utilizes these touch events. Looking at WPF - the vista interface model (windows presentation foundation) that allows direct3d to be run in a normal windows app, makes it possible to create some nice 3d interfaces.

the project is still in a proof of concept phase...my c# is a bit rusty...but i know it can be done. this will probably be used in my 3rd year computer science project, something in the direction of my previous post here.

another aim of the project is to attract the not-so-hardcore programmers to get into writing multitouch applications.

Signature 

the all new Multitouch South Africa http://www.multitouchsa.co.za
those that say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

sounds like a great initiative

Posted: 25 May 2007 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-25
Total Posts:  5

hello,
it’s good to know someone is working on a c# wrapper for touchlib. I am a developer who has been working with c# for 7+ years and would love to pitch in if you need any help in writing the code.

PS: i am new to TouchLib and have alot to learn but maybe this is a good way to start.

Posted: 26 May 2007 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

hey harout awesome that you want to contribute on the software development, lately different people are working on improving touchlib, you might want to drop by on #ftir on irc.freenode.net to help us out or to get to know some more about touchlib itself, i’m sure alot of people want to help you clearify some stuff

Posted: 27 May 2007 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

thanks Harout. i’ll pm you when i need help. i had a rough few weeks because of projects. but now they’re done. so i can finally start working on this again.

Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2007 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  4

Hi donovan,

I work for an italian non-profit reseach institute called Istituto Trentino di Cultura (now Fondazione Bruno Kessler)
(http://tcc.itc.it/research/i3p/collaborativesystems/index.html)

I’m working on a similar project as you are doing. It is called Yami (Yet Another Multitouch input devIce) library, and it is written in C++/C#.
I did some experience with my previous library called Amphetamine that allows us to build WPF GUI’s that interact with MERL diamond touch device.
Now we decided to extend it to multitouch device. 
I did some preliminary work on native part to get detected blobs from a tracking engine (c++). Then I’m going to write a Managed part (c#).
Idea is to allow developers use different Tabletop devices to create cooler and richer table top applications that get facitites from microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation.

If you want to talk about these please feel free to contact me at cappelle_aT_itc.it

cheers
alex

----
Cappelletti Alex
telno: +39 0461 314 585

Posted: 31 May 2007 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

I am extreemly interested in a C# wrapper to touchlib or C# input library. When you have anything ready for testing, let me know and i will check it out smile

Posted: 01 June 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

@alex: i’ll be sure to contact you in the near future. sounds like we have a very similar idea. i’m goind for the c++ tracker (touchlib) with c# as the presentation. i’ll send more details when i contact you.

@pleh: i’m finally starting to work on the project again. (somehow i screwed up my previous touchlib source files grin ) . but i formatted my pc and everything is up and running now. i’ll post here when there is something i can show.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  123

yeah, go for it donovan. I would definately include it in the official distribution.

I am also beginning to take a look at the WPF stuff. It seems like a good platform for this sort of thing.

Posted: 20 June 2007 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

thanks for the interest. just a quick note, it’s very very close to being finished, within the next day. one small little problem that need to be sorted.

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2007 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-09

Cool donovan! What’s the possibility of you whipping up some example apps in WPF? wink

Posted: 21 June 2007 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

ok, here it is!

the is a readme file included in the zip with pretty clear instructions (i think) on how to get it working. i haven’t tested it on a different machine than my own, so please let me know of any problems. you don’t need to be able to compile touchlib to work with this. also, with every new release of touchlib bins, it should work - we’ll see when new bins get released.

next step: get dirty with WPF, as soon as i have something i’ll post here - and hopefully not take long. i want to try to create a type of ‘context finder’ that finds the context of fingers. also i want to make it capable of configuring touchlib from a C# app.

post any comments suggestions please.

EDIT: i’ve added the source, for those curious on how it works, there is a small compiling instructions file included.

File Attachments
CsTI_beta1.zip  (File Size: 44KB - Downloads: 1662)
CsTI_beta1_Source.zip  (File Size: 232KB - Downloads: 1786)
 Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Nice work donovan!

Just gave it a try here and it seems to be working. I will have a go at creating some WPF examples soon too.

Posted: 22 June 2007 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-05
Total Posts:  24

Hello Donovan, is there any posibility of a bug with version 47 bin? It work excellent with previous version.
Thanks a lot !!! Excellent job !!

Posted: 22 June 2007 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-09

The format of the touch events changed in the last version so it may need to be recompiled with the new source.

Posted: 22 June 2007 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-05
Total Posts:  24

Thanks a lot !!!

1 of 10