2 of 2
The MultiTouch Cell
Posted: 14 September 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

lol, iphone isn’t considered a true multitouch solution. Not when comparing against something like a multitouch cell wink Even then, the retail price of an iphone is not far under $1000 (not when it first came out anyway).

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 14 September 2008 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-14
Total Posts:  819
Elite

Why is iPhone not true multitouch? What makes cell so much difference then iphone?
Multitouch does not have to be big, or have a projector inside. For me multituch is something that shows a picture and can sens many contacts at the same time.
And “not far under” is better than many 1000s. rasberry

Signature 

HID Multitouch driver for Windows 7 http://multitouchvista.codeplex.com/

Posted: 14 September 2008 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

From what i know iphone is only dual input - it doesnt support more than 2 inputs. In a sense it is multitouch…

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 14 September 2008 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905
Taha - 14 September 2008 04:47 PM

From what i know iphone is only dual input - it doesnt support more than 2 inputs. In a sense it is multitouch…

I think that as of right now, the iPhone gesture library only consists of those that you can perform with 1 or 2 fingers. But I’m not sure if its a technical limitation?...although it would be kind of hard to put three fingers on a screen that size (3.5") and perform useful movements…

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 14 September 2008 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

The iphone can take atleast 5 points of contact as far as I’ve seen , some dudes hooked the capacitive senzor to an arduino and hooked that to a PC.
Full hand print , 5-10 points of contact etc.

Posted: 14 September 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Ok, we’re getting slightly off topic here. I didn’t mean to turn this into an iphone discussion hah. The iphone can detect more than 2 touches. My point was, you can’t compare a 50"+ solution to a 3.5” solution when it comes to cost in this instance. It’s pretty unrealistic to say that an iphone who costs in the 500-700$ range (without a contract) means an LCD or projector based solutions should/can be in the same price range (although in the distant future it will). Considering the current market and the DIY cost, I’m not surprised the multitouch cell is in this price range.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 15 September 2008 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-14
Total Posts:  819
Elite

As a software developer I want that my software is being used by many people, not only from maximum 50 enthusiasts around the world. Such expensive hardware will not be very popular. That means no one need software. If thee is no need, then there will be no software developed. And if there is no software, no one will buy hardware. It is vicious circle. Hardware and Software developers should work together to make things cheaper and affordable for many people.

Signature 

HID Multitouch driver for Windows 7 http://multitouchvista.codeplex.com/

Posted: 15 September 2008 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-14
Total Posts:  22
Daniel D - 14 September 2008 04:35 PM

Why is iPhone not true multitouch? What makes cell so much difference then iphone?
Multitouch does not have to be big, or have a projector inside. For me multituch is something that shows a picture and can sens many contacts at the same time.
And “not far under” is better than many 1000s. rasberry

I disagree. From my experience, MultiTouch itself isn’t what really fascinates people. I have seen people using Multi- and Singletouch screens in various sizes. From my point of view, the really fascinating part for people is

a) the fact that multiple people can interact with an application at the same time ("multi-user") and
b) the large surface
that makes MT tables/walls different.

I would go as far and say MultiTouch itself is a nice extension of conventional single touch technology, but without a large surface, it really doesn’t matter much.

You could do very cool stuff with single touch gestures alone. If you use an iPhone or iPod touch you’ll notice that most of the gestures you use are really single touch gestures.

Cheers

Tobias

Posted: 15 September 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-14
Total Posts:  22
Ingeneus - 03 September 2008 07:39 AM

Thank you for your interest in MultiTouch products.

Please find attached our prices. They are in euros, but with today’s currency exchange rate into US dollars, the prices are:
46” Full HD is $15,712
32” Full HD is $ 8,217
32” HD ready is $ 6,776

Shipping is not included the prices.

Little Steep, yes! But looks like a very elegant solution.

By the way, i find you’re prices perfectly reasonable. I’m just wondering why you didn’t answer my price request mail wink

cheers

Tobias

Posted: 15 September 2008 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-29
Total Posts:  56

Very good, feel the price is a bit high!

Signature 

New Technology -_- New Life
http://www.chinamultitouch.com From China中国北京

Posted: 15 September 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  321

I think the fact that you can connect the displays together to increase their size is a pretty cool system because as they describe it, they are two separate systems and they need to share their blob data and run a combined system, on the other hand if it’s just two screens with cameras that run to a single computer then it isn’t quite as amazing but still pretty cool.

EDIT: Sorry if that made no sense before…

Signature 

I’m bad about monitoring posts so if you have a question regarding something I’ve said, then just send me a PM.

Posted: 24 September 2008 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-14
Total Posts:  154

@codey
i fully agree with you: the really fascinating thing about multi-touch is that you can collaborate. it’s just so much cooler if there is no one that has the mouse and thus is the master of a meeting in front of a screen. multi-touch adds a little bit of democratic appeal to GUIs.

additionally, i really like two handed interaction. and i do not mean gestures like scaling or rotating or playing a keyboard (they are very cool nonetheless). it’s more like that you can pop-up a menu with the left hand and do the selection with your right hand. that is really something deeply natural when a human being interacts with its surrounding…

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2008 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Hello,

May i just say that this is a very neat and tidy soloution, i love it! As for cost, well have you seen the price of led panels from say someone like lighthouse they are massively expensive and very low res.  and have no multitouch nor single point touch.  They are however weather proof and extreamly bright.  Obviously the only true comparision is there modular nature.  Modular things are great i love expandability and i could see this sort of interactive display system going around all sorts of festivals it just needs to be drunk & gurner proof!gulp sick

cheers!

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 28 September 2008 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-10
Total Posts:  104

Geekgasm!

Those units are pretty slick. I really like the cell idea, but for me they just seem a little bit on the small size to build cost-effective large scale displays. Two of them together are only just bigger than a person, so you’d have to probably be a rich arab from Dubai to afford them! Actually come to think of it, does anyone want to go to Dubai with me to start a company and to sell huge displays to fancy hotels?

Posted: 04 July 2018 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-05
Total Posts:  335

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone would still have the runtime and demo software for an old MTCell 32” on Win7.

Thanks

2 of 2