4 of 43
Sony PS3Eye running under Windows!!! **UPDATED** Driver v3.0.0.0825 (Selectable Capture Frame Rate and Resolution)
Posted: 10 September 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-09
Total Posts:  38

How is CPU load? Please clarify, does this work with touchlib?

Posted: 10 September 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

from what i know it doesnt yet work with touchlib yet

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 10 September 2008 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05
Total Posts:  25
AlexP - 10 September 2008 01:17 PM

Throgors - 10 September 2008 02:04 AM
Dude I friggen got it.

God damned microsoft is the most idiodic company sometimes i swear..

The c++ runtimes installer they provide is crap, I used the one provided with the USBTester from jungo, and it works AWESOME!!!

50FPS just like you said.

Awesome work man.

Are there plans on making the 320x240 at 120fps for your touchlib implementation?

I so cant wait to try this on the screen, my logitech webcam was slackin big time.

Got the distributable package out of the installer and posted it on my site for download
http://dev-x.org/vcredist_x86.rar

Throgors thanks!
I’m glad you got it working. I looked into the dll issue as well.
The reason why it didn’t work for you might have been that you were installing VC++ 2005 redist where in fact you need VC++ 2005 SP1 redist.
I agree with you Microsoft should have some kind mechanism in place for detecting the version that is needed and directing you to the right place for download.

You can download the correct redist from the following links:

x86 version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
x64 version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=EB4EBE2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA&displaylang=en

BTW, I posted the updated PS3EyeTest app that captures 640x480 at 60fps now.

~Alex

Sweet thanks, yea that link is different from the one you provided above, thanks for the updated app. I was going to look into writing a DLL for it but you’ll probably have yours done before I even begin =\

Have you looked at the focus nob at all?

Mine seems to snap in between the two positions, would it be possible that this is controllable via signals from the pc?

Loon

There isnt much CPU load, and when alex is done, there shouldn’t be hardly any, as there will be no compression.

Posted: 10 September 2008 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-10
Total Posts:  104

60fps? Nice. Do you think you could push it to 120fps?

Higher Higher!

Posted: 10 September 2008 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05

Not at 640x480 it wont lol

but 320x240 yea

Posted: 10 September 2008 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-10
Total Posts:  3
jimihertz - 08 September 2008 01:29 PM

hi, ps3 eyes !

i installed successfully the Alex driver on XP ,
it was quite harsh at the beginning , the first tests failed , the video was freezing after a few seconds ( 1 to 4).
So I tested each port from bad issues to bad issue and reinstalling the driver for each one .

after installing the driver on every ports , it finally works .

Great job , Alex P !

Can’t wait for your further improvements !

Echoing this but slightly different. 1 USB port won’t work, once i switched USB ports and installed the drivers it will work for several seconds (or possibly major movements) then it will lock up, Taking 20-30 seconds to close. As I switch/add USB ports it “seems” to last longer however will crash promptly. All 4 USB on back of the mainboard has the drivers installed. The remainder 4 to 8? on the front is not active/hooked up.

Another note, I am running your sept 8th (smaller 53k) version. That one will work. Your Recent release of Sept 9th (larger 300ksize) Will not however, It Initializes, Found ps3 camera then just sits there.

Hope this helps a bit if any at all.

(using windows xp SP3)

Posted: 11 September 2008 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05

Same here with my previously stated setup.

and actually now that i think about it, 60 fps at 640x480 would be perfect, no need for 120 at 320x240.

Posted: 11 September 2008 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-11
Total Posts:  2
Throgors - 10 September 2008 02:04 AM

Dude I friggen got it.
God damned microsoft is the most idiodic company sometimes i swear..
The c++ runtimes installer they provide is crap, I used the one provided with the USBTester from jungo, and it works AWESOME!!!
Got the distributable package out of the installer and posted it on my site for download
http://dev-x.org/vcredist_x86.rar

I also had a problem at 1st, but after installing SP1 everything worked. A link to SP1 is on the related links section of the page AlexP provided.

Posted: 11 September 2008 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-11
Total Posts:  2

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and already pretty amazed by the things you guys do here.

AlexP - Thank you for your time and effort.

I bought this camera in hopes of being able to video chat with none PS3 clients (i.e. icq, yahoo, msn, or skype), but I am not very lucky in finding any possible ways to do that (short of hacking the ps3 and installing windows on it).
Also I was hoping to use it on my PC for the same reason, and this thread is a giant hope in that direction.

Please forgive my ignorance, but can you guys help me understand:

1. Now that we have a working driver, will the DLL (spoken about above) make it possible for the different IM clients or Skype to recognize and use this camera for video chat?

2. Do your guys know any way I can use this cam it on ps3 to chat with skype or IM clients?

Thank you very much in advance.

Posted: 11 September 2008 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05

No DLL wrapper yet (no chat programs able to use the webcam yet basically)

As for the PS3, if the PS3 webcam doesnt work on the PS3 then....

Hehe, it should work, but not with skype and the like, you’d have to use whatever sony has setup

Posted: 13 September 2008 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-13
Total Posts:  4

Hey alexP looks like your doing some good work, keep it up!

I have a problem , I’ve downloaded your driver and test program for my ps3cam and I can install the drivers fine but when I open the test program nothing happens after it says

Initializing Driver ...
Found Ps3Eye Camera

and it just stays like this , no picture from the cam, but the program is not frozen.

I’m using win xp sp2 , I’ve already installed every combination of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package . I’m using a usb 2.0 port

when I plug the cam in only the blue light turns on, is the red also supposed to come on?

It’d be great if you can help me!! smile tanx..

Posted: 13 September 2008 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-26
Total Posts:  62
ps3forme - 13 September 2008 07:46 AM

I have a problem , I’ve downloaded your driver and test program for my ps3cam and I can install the drivers fine but when I open the test program nothing happens after it says

Initializing Driver ...
Found Ps3Eye Camera

and it just stays like this , no picture from the cam, but the program is not frozen.

I’m using win xp sp2 , I’ve already installed every combination of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package . I’m using a usb 2.0 port

when I plug the cam in only the blue light turns on, is the red also supposed to come on?

I am having the same exact same problem

Posted: 13 September 2008 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342
Administrator

Initializing Driver ...
Found Ps3Eye Camera

Are you sure you have properly installed drivers? Does your device manager show the ‘PS3Eye Camera’ under Jungo?
If so, I wonder if there is a different revision of the chipset in your camera. I heard that they are now using the OV538 chip since OV534 has been discontinued.
Could you verify this?

~Alex

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 13 September 2008 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-26
Total Posts:  62

yes the chip says OV0538.  How does that affect the driver that you have made?  Can this camera still be used?
--- UPDATE---
I used the older PS3EyeTest and I got this

Image Attachments
screenshot.JPG

Posted: 13 September 2008 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-09
Total Posts:  38

Initializing Driver ...
Found Ps3Eye Camera

Same Here!

In Device Manager I don’t show an entry for:
Sound, video and game controllers
USB Camera-B3.04.06.1

4 of 43