2 of 6
Sony PS3 EYE IR Filter Removal (Difficulty: MEDIUM) ** Updated **
Posted: 15 October 2008 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-13
Total Posts:  3

I am also getting focus problems when I have removed the IR filter. How do I go about correcting this - has anyone so far?

Posted: 21 October 2008 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-15
Total Posts:  63

I’ve also noticed the focus issue after removing the IR filter. It seems thick/close enough to the ccd that I’m guessing the lens was designed to compensate for it. I’m assuming anything with about the same optical qualities and dimensions (an IR bandpass filter or at least something that doesn’t block IR) should fix the problem. I’ve been looking for something, guess I’ll just post again if I find a good solution.

In the meantime, I’ve found that I can at least get it to focus in the more zoomed in setting by stopping just before it ‘clicks’ into place. I haven’t looked at the mechanical portion of the lens, but maybe it could be adjusted/hacked/whatever to compensate properly?

Oh, and a fun picture of something I found by accident while testing it without the filter - the end of a lit cigar just below ‘red hot’ looks kind of cool in IR. (image quality went to crap when I actually got a shot of it, oh well)

Image Attachments
ircigar1.jpg

Posted: 22 October 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342
pdehn - 21 October 2008 08:01 PM

I’ve also noticed the focus issue after removing the IR filter. It seems thick/close enough to the ccd that I’m guessing the lens was designed to compensate for it. I’m assuming anything with about the same optical qualities and dimensions (an IR bandpass filter or at least something that doesn’t block IR) should fix the problem. I’ve been looking for something, guess I’ll just post again if I find a good solution.

In the meantime, I’ve found that I can at least get it to focus in the more zoomed in setting by stopping just before it ‘clicks’ into place. I haven’t looked at the mechanical portion of the lens, but maybe it could be adjusted/hacked/whatever to compensate properly?

Oh, and a fun picture of something I found by accident while testing it without the filter - the end of a lit cigar just below ‘red hot’ looks kind of cool in IR. (image quality went to crap when I actually got a shot of it, oh well)

pdehn, this is exactly what I did. Until we find a way to disolve/remove the glue that holds the lens, the temporary solution is to rotate the lens between the ‘clicks’ and get the sharpest image that way. Another solution would be to get another lens holder and use 12mm lens without IR filter found on eBay.
As you can see the camera sensor is very sensitive to the IR (with filter removed), which is great news for us at NUI Group.

~Alex

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 23 October 2008 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Can get a lens mount here it looks like http://www.optics-online.com/cmt.asp/ I’m sure there’s a lot more places.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 23 October 2008 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

I got my ps3 camera… and i love it!! 128FPS @ 320 lol…

now just gotta find a IR bandpass and how to get this glue off the lens mount rasberry

Signature 

~

Posted: 04 November 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15
Total Posts:  59

Has anybody found a UK supplier for the lens mounts? I can only find US.

Posted: 14 November 2008 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-15
Total Posts:  5

Hey guys,

I got my PS3 EYE today, took out the IR filter, and noted the same focus issues that you guys were having. I was able to fix it by simply sanding down the edge of the lens mount that contacts the PCB, thus bring the lenses closer to the sensor. There is still plenty of room inside of mount for the sensor. You will of course lose the little pins that help you align the mount to the PCB, but once it is screwed down, it should not matter. Obviously, you cannot undo your changes with this method, so you should probably work slowly, checking the focus as you go.

Hopefully this will help some of you. Good luck!

Posted: 15 November 2008 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-12
Total Posts:  52

I removed the IR filter of my Eye webcam just now. Really easy, not as damageful as I thought. I made a little tutorial.

eye-tutorial.png

Also, if you keep intact the IR filter, wouldn’t it be possible to use this technique to remove the IR coating? You would then be able to place the filter again but it would let the IR pass through and you would keep the focus intact as well.
http://www.instructables.com/id/EN0ZUTURHOERIE2GGH/

Hope that helps. I will try the instructables tutorial if I find the abrasive cream.

Signature 

Building MT for games projects : 24” LCD + LLP

Posted: 15 November 2008 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-02
Total Posts:  8

Kind of a newb question, but here goes..

What’s the advantage or removing the IR filter? What does it do?

Posted: 15 November 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-12
Total Posts:  52

On most webcams there is an IR filter because the CMOS sensor of webcams is sensible to IR light. Without the IR filter you can clearly see that the colours are not natural at all, they seem more black&white (kind of like CCTV images). So, the IR filter is here to let only the visible light spectrum to be present in the final image and make them more natural and “normal” for the human eye.

Signature 

Building MT for games projects : 24” LCD + LLP

Posted: 20 November 2008 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-08
Total Posts:  54

how the hell do you remove the back panel? Do you pull it straight back twist it push it down. I have no idea how to take this apart. Can someone post a more detailed tutorial on removing the back cover. I have been at it for like 2 hours and don’t even know where to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature 

Soon to be MT 40” table running on mac book pro.

Posted: 20 November 2008 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-08

Can anyone help me take apart the ps3 eye. I can’t seem to remove the back panel and the guide isn’t useful in describing how to do this.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

So my suggestion wasnt good enough smile

Use small screw driver and pry it apart, takes some force, but comes apart.
(couldnt find any screws)

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 20 November 2008 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-08

I understand to use a screw drive I need to know where to put it. The are 3 components the from the back and the kidney shape on the bottom. Do you pry it apart near the cord, near the bottom of the lens, or under the card at the seam of the kidney shape and the back plate?. Sorry if this is vague description but I can’t think of a better way to describe it.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

haha, i understand what you mean...pry it at the part next to the lenses...there isnt much to damage there if you poke it in too far..You’ll notice it is the most held together area, due to the stand, so try there the most.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

2 of 6