4 of 6
Sony PS3 EYE IR Filter Removal (Difficulty: MEDIUM) ** Updated **
Posted: 28 December 2008 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Yes, if you turn it and look at your video stream you should be able to get it to stop turning when it’s in focus (in between the two positions).

If you use another lens, you get a lens without an IR filter. Another lens won’t have the focus issue since you can turn it yourself (not just 2 positions).

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 28 December 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-15
Total Posts:  66

Got it, thank you, later I’ll try it…

Just now I think about the solution of another lens, I think it might be more difficult, due to the damage of lens holder, and other uncertain factor....

How about you ? what camera did you use ? What’s the second choice except ps3eye ?

Posted: 29 December 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-15
Total Posts:  66

I tried, got a little better, but still very dim, the focus comes from 5cm to nearly 20cm, and can’t be more far.....

This is not a good solution, I will try to cut or grind the lens base, to make it more closer to the pcb.

Posted: 03 January 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-03
Total Posts:  36

Hi,
I’ve just modified my Eyecam. Hard to open the black “box”. After it’s ok.
As everyone, I notice the focus problem. For the french guy like me, can you explain the way you resolve it (with the sandpaper). Maybe with some pictures it will be clearer for me.

For information, I try to put some 940nm in front of the Eyecam after taking the IR filter off.
And it’s clearly seen.
Tomorrow I will try another ribbon led at 850nm (but it should work).

(pictures with led on and off)

Image Attachments
IR 950nm.jpgIR off.jpg

Posted: 07 January 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-03
Total Posts:  36

Hi everybody,

Still trying to find the best lens/support provider for putting on the PS3 eyecam.
Can someone tell me if it’s this sensor in the eyecam :
http://www.ovt.com/products/part_detail.asp?id=112

the OV7720 CMOS VGA (640 x 480) with a optical format of 1/4” ?

If yes, do you think this support (of course just the black part, not the motherboard)
could fit on it ?
http://www.transistek.fr/catalogue/surveillance_video/cameras_noir_blanc/module_camera_n_b_cmos_avec_6_leds_ir_audio_camzwbla3_7924.php

If yes again, as there is IR led on the motherboard, i’m sure there isn’t any IR coat, so I just have to take a lens and try it.

Thanks.

Posted: 12 January 2009 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

For new m12 mount and lens - http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/store/accessories-camera.html

Posted: 12 January 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Awesome entity! Did you order one?

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 13 January 2009 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

Yes, awaiting for it to arrive… I used the 4.3 mm lens in my Unibrain Fire-i camera, but I ordered the 4.5 mm lens for this, as I suspect I can narrow the barrel distortion with it.

Notice the m12 mount with embedded bandpass-filter for 800 nM… smile If it works out, I will try that later…

Posted: 14 January 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-31
Total Posts:  37

Does anyone happen to have an Eye IR filter handy that they could measure the thickness on? I seem to have lost mine, and wanted to see if a piece of glass could be made to work for the focus issue.

Alternatively, has anyone found a way to remove the lens from its holder without destroying it? That would work too, so it could be moved closer to or farther from the sensor.

[edit] Just some temporary ideas, as I think I’m going to replace the whole lens with one of the 2.6mm wide-angle versions and a new holder if it works out for entity.

Posted: 17 January 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05
Total Posts:  39

just removed the IR filter on my new PS3 eye (the OV0538 one)… i took off, as in the tutorial, the closest lens to the CMOS sensor. A 5 mm thick lens came off… indeed i did fight for it… when i went back to finally see IR light with AMCAP i just get a big white ball… nothing else… i believe what i took off was not just the IR lens… after checking better i could see that i could just take off the lens mount in front of the sensor by twisting it, and leaving the base (attached with the two small screws) to “defend” the sensor…
did they at Sony do some changes in their PS3 eye? i can’t understand…
any help is welcome! thanks

Posted: 18 January 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-18
Total Posts:  4

I am having huge trouble trying to get the ir filter out, i’ve dug out alot of plastic, there is no “metal seal” and i can’t pry the lens out, it’s just not moving and it keeps chipping

I NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

Posted: 18 January 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-31
Total Posts:  37
stall - 18 January 2009 04:04 PM

I am having huge trouble trying to get the ir filter out, i’ve dug out alot of plastic, there is no “metal seal” and i can’t pry the lens out, it’s just not moving and it keeps chipping

I NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

You basically just have to cut a line in the plastic around the entire edge of the filter, and it will pop out. A sharp knife that cuts through the plastic is necessary. Also, heating it with a hair dryer may help soften the plastic while doing this. There is no clean way of removing the filter, short of buying a new filterless lens and holder.

Posted: 18 January 2009 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-18

Ok i got the IR Filter out and put put a piece of floppy disk where the filter used to be.  When i plugged in my camera i have like a fish eye effect and also no picture just white

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED PLEASE RESPOND ASAP

Posted: 18 January 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-18

Also i cannot get touchlib for the ps3 eye to just see my finger tips, someone needs to make a video tutorial for all of this
that would be the smartest thing to do and it would take no time at all.......

Posted: 18 January 2009 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-18
nicopizza - 17 January 2009 10:12 AM

just removed the IR filter on my new PS3 eye (the OV0538 one)… i took off, as in the tutorial, the closest lens to the CMOS sensor. A 5 mm thick lens came off… indeed i did fight for it… when i went back to finally see IR light with AMCAP i just get a big white ball… nothing else… i believe what i took off was not just the IR lens… after checking better i could see that i could just take off the lens mount in front of the sensor by twisting it, and leaving the base (attached with the two small screws) to “defend” the sensor…
did they at Sony do some changes in their PS3 eye? i can’t understand…
any help is welcome! thanks

the same thing is happening to me i get nothing but bright white ball and what looks like a fish eye effect around the lens (maybe from too much scrapping....) but i need an answer to this too cause i’m pretty sure it’s broke.....

4 of 6