5 of 6
Sony PS3 EYE IR Filter Removal (Difficulty: MEDIUM) ** Updated **
Posted: 18 January 2009 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-31
Total Posts:  37
stall - 18 January 2009 08:08 PM

Ok i got the IR Filter out and put put a piece of floppy disk where the filter used to be.  When i plugged in my camera i have like a fish eye effect and also no picture just white

Did anything get scratched (lens or sensor)? The floppy disk should make the picture totally black unless there is a decent amount of IR light. Try it without any filter at all, you should get a blurred but otherwise normal picture. I am assuming the camera was working fine before? Unfortunately, the Eye is a tricky camera to work with since it does not work the same on every computer and drivers are not as advanced as most other cameras (without proper specifications on the hardware, good drivers are very hard to write).

About the fish eye, the 1mm (found my IR filter btw) glass seems to change the focus length somehow (I don’t really understand this, as it appears to be flat glass). I think mine does the same thing you are talking about (a screenshot would be helpful here).

Just keep in mind that the Eye is more experimental at this stage. While it does work, don’t rely on it if your screen absolutely has to work 100% of the time.

For touchlib, that is just working with the settings. I haven’t been able to get it quite right on my Side DI setup, as the light angle is kinda weird. What type of light reflection are you using (FTIR, DI, LLP..)? That makes a big difference.

Posted: 19 January 2009 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05
Total Posts:  39
stall - 18 January 2009 08:15 PM

nicopizza - 17 January 2009 10:12 AM
just removed the IR filter on my new PS3 eye (the OV0538 one)… i took off, as in the tutorial, the closest lens to the CMOS sensor. A 5 mm thick lens came off… indeed i did fight for it… when i went back to finally see IR light with AMCAP i just get a big white ball… nothing else… i believe what i took off was not just the IR lens… after checking better i could see that i could just take off the lens mount in front of the sensor by twisting it, and leaving the base (attached with the two small screws) to “defend” the sensor…
did they at Sony do some changes in their PS3 eye? i can’t understand…
any help is welcome! thanks

the same thing is happening to me i get nothing but bright white ball and what looks like a fish eye effect around the lens (maybe from too much scrapping....) but i need an answer to this too cause i’m pretty sure it’s broke.....

Same here. A big white ball with with no image at all, and a black circle around… the cam however recignizes IR light, as the image gets brighter when directed to IR light.
I have the strong feeling that at Sony they changed the position of the IR filter on the lens mount… or the filter is simply attached to one of the lens… can’t undersstand.
As I was trying to say the lens mount (the “round” part) can also be “unscrewed” from its base (the “square” part that is attached with the two small screws to the mainboard) next to the sensor. Did anyone experience this?
My PS3 eye is made in Chna (i’ll post manufactor’s specs later) for PS Europe (I live in Italy).
BTW, I have not being using any filter so far… the reason must be in the camera itself…

Posted: 20 January 2009 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-05
Total Posts:  335

I just found a way to correct the focus issue.
When you pop out the IR filter, there is another lens just behind it that moves slightly back and forth. You can move it towards the base of the holder when you tap the base slightly against the table and you can push it back with the tip of a small screwdriver for exemple.
So first you tap the base to get that lens completely forward, where your IR filter was, and then look at the webcam’s image. Normally it should be still out of focus. So with the lens completely forward (towards the base), you push it back (away from the base) just a really tiny bit and this should bring back the focus. If you pushed it too far away from the base, tapping the base against a hard surface should bring that lens forward so you can retry finding the focus.
Once you got the focus, you handle it really carefully and put a small bit of rapid glue on the rim of the lens so that it won’t move out of focus anymore and thats it.
I just prepared 2 PS3Eye cams in a row like this so this should work.
Hope it helps.

Greg

Posted: 25 January 2009 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-20
Total Posts:  66

The if bandpass filter that I purchased from omegabob2 on ebay fits in the circular depression right above(looking at where the ir filter is) the ir filter.  It is a perfect very snug fit.  Another nice benefit is it shifts the focus tosards the wide side.

Optical Filter, 850BP40.  Supplied 11.5mm diameter X 1.77mm thick with sealed and painted edge.  Blocked UV-1200nm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

File Attachments
Picture1.png  (File Size: 615KB - Downloads: 847)

Posted: 25 January 2009 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-20
Total Posts:  66

Here is a picture of it installed.

Image Attachments
CIMG4367.JPG

Posted: 28 January 2009 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-03
Total Posts:  36

Hi everybody,

I’ve just recieved the item from naturalpoint (link in a previous post)
I have a 1.9, 3.6 and 4.3mm lens, and mount (with and without IR filter, 2 of each).

First of all, the mount doesn’t “fit” on the PS3 board (the hole of the mount are a little bit to far around the hole of the board)
I try to screw only one side just to see the effect, and I get a black corner and a focus issue on the rest of the picture.
So you can change it maybe in doing new hole (but i’m not an expert in electronic board so I don’t know if there is some problem doing this).

But I’ve looked at the IR filter they integrate on the lens, and the thickness is very close to the original IR block filter of the PS3eye.
So I’ve took it from the naturalpoint mount and put it on the PS3 mount at the same place.

And it’s very close to focus (I’m sure without the blur effect in tracking software, it’s ok.)

I will made some test in tbeta and touchlib (and some screencapture if I remember).
But it’s a easy and lowcost way to get the focus back.

Eric.

(on the pictures, all the stuff, and one closer on the mount with integrated IF filter)
This filter let some visible light passing through.

Image Attachments
IMG_1195.jpgIMG_1194.jpg

Posted: 24 February 2009 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Total Posts:  18

Hi

Thanks to the instructions at this thread I have managed to remove the IF filter. When I assembled the camera back, I found that the camera image is quite blur(I tried refocusing them) and I have a few dark spots on the camera image. I tried wiping the lenses but the dark spots are still there. please advise on how I could remove them… thanks

Image Attachments
screen.jpg

Posted: 24 February 2009 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342
noscon - 24 February 2009 12:55 AM

Hi

Thanks to the instructions at this thread I have managed to remove the IF filter. When I assembled the camera back, I found that the camera image is quite blur(I tried refocusing them) and I have a few dark spots on the camera image. I tried wiping the lenses but the dark spots are still there. please advise on how I could remove them… thanks

Try blowing some compressed air into the sensor and lens assembly. It seems that you have some plastic particles on the sensor. Also make sure you assemble camera back when you run it.

~Alex

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 24 March 2009 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-14
Total Posts:  5

Im taking my Cam apart now, I can all ready bring it up using tbeta on my mac (i also have macam) so so far so good.

I was doing this just to remove the IR filter, after reading much of this I want to know if i really have to pull certain pins out of the board. what does it acomplish, is it truely nessacery?

Posted: 25 March 2009 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-05

AFAIK you only have to remove the IR filter of the cam, and maybe to insert an IR bandpass filter instead. I never touched any other part of it to make it work.

Posted: 26 March 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-14
Total Posts:  5

Thank you, I damaged my PS3 Eye while taking it apart so I have to pick up another one, hopefully be able to fix the old one eventually. and set up multi cameras on a larger MT screen.

Posted: 02 July 2009 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
Total Posts:  39

I thought I saw a post where someone was selling pre-modified PS3EyeCams.  Can anyone point me in that direction?

Posted: 03 July 2009 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-05

Yeah, look for user PeauProductions.

Posted: 01 September 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01
Total Posts:  3

Excellent tutorial with Pic.

Posted: 11 June 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-04
Total Posts:  1

thanks Dr Alex.. for your detailed ps3 eye IR Filter removal descriptions..
I tried to my ps3 eye.. then I success to remove IR filter from my ps3 eye camera.
but.. After IR Filter removed.... camera focus is only very macro state.. this Ps3 eye is fixed focus…
How control focus the lens of a camera.. from the driver or software..
If it is possible to flexible focus the lens of a camera. it can be done..

Thank you…

ps ) attach file one is fixed macro mode,, another one is blurry out focusing picture..

Image Attachments
focus2.jpgfocus1.jpgfocus3.jpg

5 of 6