2 of 4
pymt *update*
Posted: 12 December 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  204

First of all Thomas Great job, love the examples shown \m/, How do i get this running in windows XP ? i installed pyglet and then ran the install command, but when i run the programs i get errors ? what am i doing wrong :( ?

Signature 

sharathpatali.wordpress.com

Posted: 12 December 2008 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-29
Total Posts:  153

@kaswy:  Wow dude your apps look really cool; I didn’t think pymt was good enough yet for people to actually build cool applications yet; but you just prooved me very wrong!  Your showing some really cool apps (you should definitly share this in the showcase section, the photo manipulation tool is really cool).  Are you using shaders for the photo manipulation tool?  Also how are you interfacing with google earth?  I’m really excited to se people use pymt.  If you are interrested in sharing some of your code, I can give you acess to the googlecode project.  PLease keep me informed about your very impressive work.  I haven’t had much time lately to work on pymt with school hitting finals season; but I am looking forward to cleaning up and expanding pymt over winter break.  Any feedback, feature requests, ideas, or collaboration are very welcome!  That goes for everyone of course, pymt will be much better as a community project than I could ever do myself.

@sarath:  Whats the error message you are getting?  If you have python (I’m running 2.6) and pyglet installed, you should be able to to just run the setup.py script to install pymt.  then the example apps should just run.  I think there might be some code in svn right now that uses psyco (just in time compiler for python)..you can just uncomment the lines that casue the erro if thats the problem, I was just testing to see whether it would give a noticable performance increase.  If you post your error messages I’d be glad to help debug.

not sure what svn version peoaple are using, things are still chaning pretty rapidly at this stage of development.  I have added a couple of features lately.  there is a shader class, a openGL framebuffer class, and also the mouse produces touchevents (you can add touches that stay by right clicking and then moving them kind of like tuio simulators, except you dont actually have to run one...nice for debugging).  There is also some code in svn to log all touch events which I am using to collect data for some user studies, if others are wanting to do that these clases might be helpfull.

Signature 

http://blog.tehansen.de
http://cs.uiowa.edu/~tehansen

Posted: 12 December 2008 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22

Thanks for the Reply Thomas, See this is the error that i get when i try to run glPaint
showhansenpt4.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2008 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

Sarath:  So it looks like your hardware doesnt support the standard window config.  What graphics card do you have on your machine?  It’s probably because I have the default config set to 4x anti aliasasing.  You can see the standard config that is created for a UIWindow in pymt/ui.py.  You should be able to solve the problem by passing a different config to the window object...but I should probably change it to something that works everywhere by default.  You can also look at the pyglet documentation for further info.  I’ll post some more info and a specific fix later when I get home.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
thomas.hansen - 12 December 2008 10:59 PM

Sarath:  So it looks like your hardware doesnt support the standard window config.  What graphics card do you have on your machine?  It’s probably because I have the default config set to 4x anti aliasasing.  You can see the standard config that is created for a UIWindow in pymt/ui.py.  You should be able to solve the problem by passing a different config to the window object...but I should probably change it to something that works everywhere by default.  You can also look at the pyglet documentation for further info.  I’ll post some more info and a specific fix later when I get home.

Thanks alot Hansen, I use onboard graphics driver from intel, its the Intel GMA Driver,
I’m a noob, i looked into the documentation and i tried changing the parameters to this

config = Config(sample_buffers=0, samples=0, depth_size=16, double_buffer=False, vsync=0)

still im getting the same error :(

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2008 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22

sorry i changed the svn file that i download instead of changing the installed file, but now the program runs and exits with the following error
showhansenee7.jpg

Ps: this error is only for glPaint.

I tried running the other apps, they run seamlessly, but the screen is flickering alot, is it because of the settings ?

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2008 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22

Yup its cause of the settings smile he he,
this one works perfectly

config = Config(sample_buffers=0, samples=0, depth_size=16, double_buffer=True, vsync=0)

Ps: I found out my current drivers doesnt seem to have opengl 2.0, that must be the reason why some apps are not working. Can you suggest me where i can download these drivers if you have any idea

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

The flickering is probably because you have vsync disabled.  vsync syncronizes the rendering framerate to the refreshrate of your monitor/projector.  You can probably enable it.  Also you don’t have to change it in the pymt source file.  You can create a config element anywhere in your own code and pass it to the instance of UIWindow in the client application.  For example the example apps will all have a line like this

window = UIWindow()

you could try this instead:
conf = pyglet.gl.Config()
window = UIWindow(config=conf)

I did make changes so you shouldn’t have to do this anymore though.  The newest svn revision will try to create a nice openGl context with anti aliasing and all that good stuff, but defaults to the best possible configuration if that fails.

The glPaint app doesn’t work because you dont have OpenGL 2.0 as you figured out yourself.  I am using a framebuffer objects in that example (for render to texture).  As for getting OpenGL 2.0.  Your openGL libraries usually come as part of your graphics card driver.  OpenGl is like a standard for a language (except that its a state machine and not a language).  Vendors implement the function calls and thats your driver (plus some other stuff, and then DirectX for windows).  OpenGL support can be a little tricky on windows sometimes if you don’t have a dedicated graphics card with good drivers.  I don’t have any computers with onboard Intel graphics.  I would suggest trying to install the lates driver if you haven’t done so already.  Framebuffer objects (while not the very newest feature of openGL are a more recent adition than others...some older dedicated graphics card do not have support for them, not sure about yours)

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2008 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22

Thank you thomas for the reply smile , i did install the new drivers, seems like opengl support isnt that great in Windows, maybe this is one more reason i should switch to Linux tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2008 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-02
Total Posts:  31

Thanks for your interest Thomas,

I have posted two of my code running with your PyMT toolkit on my website download page.
I have put PyGE_touch(for Google Earth) in compiled format so anybody can try it without python installed (it should work smile ).
There is also the .py version for mods or correct bugs (need python and pyMT installed)!
And the ibar like code, a little description is available on the download page.

we would like some feedback on this forum, to know if we can continue on this way or not.

Thanks for testing

Signature 

My Setup :http://kaswy.free.fr

Posted: 13 December 2008 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

kaswy,
again, awesome apps!  both apps run pretty good here at first glance.  I’ll have some time to do some more testing and leave more useful feddback after my finals are over this week.  You might get a little more attention from the whole community about your apps if you post the video in the showcase section.  The python fever hasn’t quite caught on that much around here yet wink

If anyone is interested in collaborating on some open source python touch software, I’m planning on spending a big chunk of my winter break on coding and am open to cool project ideas smile

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2008 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
thomas.hansen - 13 December 2008 02:52 PM

kaswy,
again, awesome apps!  both apps run pretty good here at first glance.  I’ll have some time to do some more testing and leave more useful feddback after my finals are over this week.  You might get a little more attention from the whole community about your apps if you post the video in the showcase section.  The python fever hasn’t quite caught on that much around here yet wink

If anyone is interested in collaborating on some open source python touch software, I’m planning on spending a big chunk of my winter break on coding and am open to cool project ideas smile

I have plans to develop a apploader UI in python, i have a particular design in my head, it would be great if you could be the mentor and collaborate on the development process

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2008 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  525
Elite

thomas:  I have a kinetic scrolling widget that works really well.  Ill polish it up and send it to you, maybe to be integrated.

Signature 

I am more then willing to to test your Multi-Touch programs on Linux, PM me if you have something.  If you’re looking for something faster then AS3 and Easier then C, try Python!

My Blog

Posted: 14 December 2008 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

xelanpond: that sounds really cool, please do! 

sarath:  an app loader sound cool.  i have been thinking about whether to make one that launches any sort of application (run executables or scripts), or one that only launches python apps (so that the app itself acts like a widget that can just become the root widget).  The first seems more flexible in starting any apps (like calibrarion apps or flash apps), but the second one could draw the application as subwidgets/windows of another application (like the loader).

I can add you all to the google code project if you want if you tell me your google acount names (pm or email me).  I’m also not against putting the code somewhere else or under another project if anyone has suggestions.  But with more people getting interested in python for multi touch we should pool our resources somewhere.

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2008 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22

Great I will PM you my email id, it will be great learning under you smile , thanks for accepting

Signature 

2 of 4