32” FTIR Table (with plans)
Posted: 02 October 2008 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08
Total Posts:  77

The opening for the Show PDX furniture competitions was last night. It was interesting to hear crowd feedback on multi touch. I kept it simple and ran some of the demo apps from Touche and Smoke for the rest of the night. I didn’t have internet I wanted to show off the rotary phone designed by MattL. Here are some pictures of the table and I will have a video of it in action soon. Thanks NUI for everything.

Do any of you use any type of heat absorbing material to keep your tables from venting as much hot air. I have four fans in the table but I was thinking that it might make sense to trap the heat in a meta tool. You could then theoretically send that energy back into your tables electrical.

This is what our curatorial card read:

Æ-Table
The Æ-Table is a functional workspace for multi touch (MT.) The tables constructed to a high aesthetic while providing an eloquent station for modeling MT programming environments. MT is a new and blossoming field that leaves many questions unanswered about the future of Human computer interaction. The table works in two light spectrums: visible and Infra Red to create a feedback loop that monitors user interaction. This project would not be possible without open source communities such as Natural User Interface, reactable (a music table project),and many others. 
Collaborative design by jessey zepeda & jason seale

Also I’m headed to Frankfurt, Brussels, Berlin and Amsterdam next Friday. PM me, lets meet up for a talk on multi touch, brews or a cup of joe.

JZ

Image Attachments
DSC03482.jpgDSC03480.jpg
File Attachments
AE TABLE.REV.C (1).pdf  (File Size: 1018KB - Downloads: 2432)
 Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 02 October 2008 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-21
Total Posts:  15

aww man, the design of that table is awesome!  Mine is so primitive compared to yours.  But at least I have a bigger surface area rasberry But seriously, your table design is a really good one and would go right at home with any house or office (like IKEA furniture, it fits anything).

Signature 

Touchlab.Net
Reactor 3D
gabereiser.com

Posted: 02 October 2008 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

Yeah the surface is not as big as I wanted. We built it for a furniture show so used the electronics we have. It is designed to use a Mitsubishi 500u-st and have a 24"x32" screen. The screen is actually that big but the bezel is cut in to frame the projection size we have going right now. If we go any further with this we will open up the bezel to have a 24"x32" and buy a faster camera. I’m using a fire-i right now and that works good but you could do better.

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 02 October 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Excellent work! I love the table design wink Can’t wait for a video!

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 03 October 2008 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

I like the top, congrats!

Posted: 04 October 2008 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

Thanks grav, the mylar is a bit irritating but over all it is good. I think DI and LLP give you better options for your screen technique i might try and convert it later. the blobs that it produces are great though.

Here is the video that I promised.

Æ-table
Is an FTIR table
I use a unibrain fire-I camera with a wratten 87 filter
G4 powerbook or Lenovo R61i
The projector is a view sonic ? it is the week link
The screen is as so

............................................Mylar
-----------------------------------Vellum
_________________________Tinkerman’s silicone casting technique with medium weight canvas for texture
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~3/8th clear Acrylic

In all of my prototype testing I never experienced ghosting but when I finally got the real table I had this problem you’ll see. So I need to get an FSmirror.

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 04 October 2008 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Looks really professional. Would be great if you could share you building process sometime and maybe how it was made/fabricated. All the parts look very “finished.”

The top layer/mylar seems to be the main problem. Maybe try finding a thicker piece so it can’t bunch up. I had the same problem, but then I switched to thicker material. I’m now using polyester drafting film that’s a few times thicker than standard paper and doesn’t bunch up like that. It’s also the best touch feeling I’ve found.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 04 October 2008 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

Thanks Cerupcat,

Acme Scenic & Display is a custom fabrication company that’s what we know, mt is just an endeavor that I have embarked upon since learning about the reactable last December. I project managed the piece and engineered the electronics. I can not give you all of the details because we gave the different departments artistic freedom in creation. I will post a procedural picture gallery next week. I included the break apart file again so you can see how it came together.

The legs, Bezel and structural frame were water jet cut. The legs and bezel are stainless and the frame was 1” square tube steel. They were all welded in cnc formed jigs and left to solidify. This insures that all of the curves are in accord with the Inventor 3-d model. I’m not sure what the actual finish on the legs and bezel are. The bottom of the inside of the cabinet is perforated metal for further venting/ air flow.

The top is solid Mahogany with a light stain and a few clear coats. The top was CNC routed and cut to fit the acrylic which sits on 1/2” angle and the bezel which sits flush to the top.

The sides have two fans on each side and are covered by two layers of Acrylic the innermost layer is mountain dew green and the outer is regular frosted. We were trying to get this cream/yellow colored plex but it is not being made any more. We used these two together to try and match it. The look of the green in the fan vents and the routed Æ symbols gave a cool look.The green acrylic looks like it is ftir illuminated in even the dimmest of light.

The front and back doors are plywood with a birdseye maple veneer stained black. The doors open on a slight angle and have locks for obvious reasons. All of the sides were CNC cut.

The whole table was built in between paying jobs over the period of about a month, I figured out FTIR and working the different app components of multi touch in the same time period with the help of NUI member MattL. Thanks Matt. If anyone needs help with custom fab pieces hit me up on a PM.

File Attachments
AE TABLE.REV.C.pdf  (File Size: 1018KB - Downloads: 810)
 Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 04 October 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Thanks for the great reply. It sounds like it’s best to go to a fabrication shop to have the work done since most people don’t have a CNC laying around or all the tools to do all that hehe. Thanks again.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 08 October 2008 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-03-11
Total Posts:  138

Hey man - as everyone says, great looking bit of kit smile

Signature 

~ myHead.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, functionProperly); ~

Posted: 08 October 2008 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

Thanks Gordee

I see your a bass player too. Keep dropen the low endgrin

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 08 October 2008 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06
Total Posts:  108

Looking great man, congrats!

Signature 

My Diffused Illumination Setup

Unfortunately I’m selling my MT table as I have to finish my PhD and have no time to play with/improve it.

this is the thread for people who might be interested in: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6809/

Posted: 09 October 2008 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

You too Efendy. It is great that so many people are active in this community and trying to figure out what mt is all about. Other open source communities i’ve been to do not have the same participation.

cheers

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 14 October 2008 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-10
Total Posts:  15

Very Art Deco ... I like it, a lot!

Posted: 24 October 2008 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-13